LCVG

Xbox Series X/S — Next Gen Consoles Coming November 10, 2020 (X for $499, S for $299)

JFo

• 2 weeks later...

Presented here because it’s neat!

I have to admit though, I was hoping that

Spoiler

the button would let you remove the big round foot on the bottom/side of the Series X.

5 hours ago, Romier S said:

I would welcome it. DualSense implementation has made the difference in some of my multiplatform purchases and even when the effects are subtle, they are missed. I’d be quite happy to see adaptive triggers and haptics implemented on the already excellent design of the Series X controller.

My hope is that if Microsoft does this, they can do it without altering the shape of the controller. The Dual Sense is a bit chunkier than I’d like it to be, presumably due to the haptics and and adaptive triggers. The Xbox controller is just the perfect size and shape — for my hands at least.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, kelley said:

Best part of that is the supply is up 20%. MS still sells everything they make, as does Sony. They need to get as many units out there for the upcoming Xmas shopping season, which hard to believe starts really soon. 

Hardware revenue is up 20%. Where are you seeing the supply number?

So I was playing the Ascent last night and was running around the High Street district and I just felt like turning my character was a bit of a chore/tank like. It also felt like movement was off so I stopped moving the left analog stick and lo and behold...my character just kept on moving. Ever so slightly but he took a few steps that shouldn't happen when I pressed up or down or a diagonal. In other words, my Series X controller suffers from stick drift on the left analog stick. So I'm 2 for 2 when it comes to launch controllers from these manufacturers suffering from stick drift problems (ironically enough my Switch joycons haven't started to drift yet *crosses fingers*).  The right analog on my launch DualSense and my launch Series X controller.

The good news is that because Microsoft barely changed the design of the Series X controller, its relatively easy to get at the analog stick components to fix it. Unlike the DualSense which requires desoldering wires to get at them. That's exactly what I did last night though. I took it apart and popped open the green analog stick compartments on bottom and right of the analog stick enclosure and cleaned it out with some IPA (isopropyl alcohol) and an air duster. I did the same for the right stick as well just for the hell of it. Amusingly, I didn't put the back plate on right when I reassembled the unit so one of the battery terminals did not poke through the backside to make contact with the battery. So the controller wouldn't power on. I had to disassemble and correct that but I'm happy to report that the clean job worked and the stick drift is gone. I tested it with the Ascent this morning and was all smooth. I stopped pushing the analog stick up or down and the character stopped moving immediately.

So no replacement needed but I have to say, this is now my fourth controller that has suffered from stick drift problems in the last two generations. Maybe it's time to upgrade the parts used for these analog sticks? I am not some savage that's rough on my controllers. In fact, I baby my stuff. They get cleaned pretty regularly and are stored well. If the response is that I play too many games - well, it's what these things are built for so....

Glad you were able to fix the problem. I'm not sure what it's going to take to get these hardware manufacturers to actually fix this issue. I can understand the sticks wearing out over time. The question is, how much use should a customer expect to get from one of these devices before they finally need to be replaced not because they're faulty, but because of general wear and tear?