LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JFo

Xbox Series X/S — Next Gen Consoles Coming November 2020

Here it is, as announced at The Game Awards.

Like the PS5, I figured Microsoft’s new machine should get its own dedicated thread now that we have a name for it. Looks cool, I think?

• Like 4

It looks like they may have added a share button to the controller. It looks like a nice refinement of the Xbox One design. I can’t wait to get my hands on it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JFo said:

It looks like they may have added a share button to the controller. It looks like a nice refinement of the Xbox One design. I can’t wait to get my hands on it.

Also great to see the Elite D-pad.

• Like 1

The naming is a little strange in the way it serves up another X just like the XB1X, but I like the design, and certainly welcome the added improvements to the controller too as I am already a fan of the S controller in most respects. 

With the pad up against the console in the PR image it would suggest the width of the console will only be about 8." I say "only"... That's chunkier than any console that I can think of, but if the X is anything to go by then I am fully expecting some excellent execution of thermal controls and fan noise. 

Maybe about the size of two gamecubes taped together? 

The naming is dumb.  Calling it Series X opens up the possibility of multiple devices (maybe with distinct names), but it's also a little close to the "Windows Phone 7 Series", and we all know how that turned out...  They did kind of get backed into a corner though, so not sure how to fix it besides just calling it Xbox. 

Given the services emphasis, and my library and gamepass subscription, I don't think there's any doubt I'll be picking one of these up.  Means I probably have a year or so to figure out what to set up as far as a second gaming TV. 

20 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

What first party games does Microsoft have.  I haven’t been paying attention.

Also Wasteland 3 coming next year as well. Not much has been announced for Series X yet aside from Halo: Infinite and Hellblade II.

They also have this series called Forza and Gears something or other.

After letting the design of the new console sink in overnight, I have to say that it reminds me a lot of the design of the 2013 Mac Pro.

1434544342_MacPro2013.thumb.jpg.4e9e169b4be0a819373a2a2902ddccd1.jpg

Obviously, it's not cylindrical in shape, but the fact that it is oriented vertically as opposed to horizontally calls to mind Apple's doomed computer. With the vents on top of the unit, I wonder if it has a similar cooling system — pulling in air from the bottom of the unit, and then using a single fan on top to push it out so that it runs whisper quiet, even when it's being pushed hard.

• Like 1

I did wonder the same thing, but the fact MS have said it can sit horizontally made me wonder if that method could work in such a way here since heat rises and the old Mac Pro was built only to channel it upwards and out the top. Admittedly I know next to nothing about thermal engineering though.

OK. Ori 2 and Gears Tactics look really good. Minecraft Dungeons is coming to the PS4, but that looks good anyway. And I haven't played Halo in a while or Gears.  Would love to give them a whirl again.

I'm looking for an excuse to buy an XBoxSex instead of a PS5.  I'm not quite there yet.  But its got potential. E3 will be fun this year, huh?

Xbox Series X Exclusive: Say Hello To The New Console Formerly Known As Project Scarlett

Peter Brown for GameSpot:

To Spencer's point, the Series X design makes sense from an engineering standpoint. In an effort to make the console "disappear" into your entertainment center, Microsoft designed it to be as quiet as possible: with a single, large fan pushing high volumes of air out of the top. Spencer and Ronald confidently told me that the Series X systems in their homes are no louder than Xbox One X, which is to say, not noticeably audible when sitting couch-distance away from your TV. "There's always this tension between design and the kind of acoustics and cooling and function of the console," Spencer explained, "and we were not going to compromise on function. I'm just incredibly impressed with the design that they came back with."

Excellent to hear that Microsoft is continuing to push for the console to be as quiet as the Xbox One line has been. Sony, are you paying attention to this?

And in terms of cross-compatibility, not only will Xbox One controllers work on Series X, but its new controller will also function on Xbox One consoles and on PCs.

I knew that Xbox One controllers would work on the new console, but the fact that the new controller work on Xbox One is a pleasant surprise.

Series X will feature a NVMe SSD and use super-fast GDDR6 memory as RAM. Not only will these components help cut down on the aforementioned gaming pit stops, but they will also help you instantly pick up games from where you left off. Xbox One already does this, but Series X takes it a step farther.

As Ronald explained, "Today, we have the capability of instantly resuming the last game that you were playing. Why can't you do that for multiple games? Many players choose to play multiple games at the same time, being able to instantly jump right back where I was, those are things that we can do with the platform level to make the gaming experience better. It's really about ensuring there's less waiting and more time playing because that's ultimately what we all want to do with a with the consoles and with the services that we have."

I've long appreciated the ability to suspend games and pick up where I left off right away -- both on Xbox One and PS4. Being able to do that with more than one game at a time would be awesome.

Also, according to GameSpot, the console can be oriented both vertically or horizontally:

The Xbox Series X (the official name of Project Scarlett, which was revealed at The Game Awards) is not shaped like any Xbox before it--or any previous game console, for that matter. In fact, especially in its vertical orientation, it looks a lot like a PC desktop tower. But like the Xbox 360, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X before it, you'll be able to orient the Xbox Series X horizontally or vertically, depending on your preference.

It's good that both options are available. I really liked the original Xbox One design (after I bought it), but I really didn't like the fact that it couldn't be stood vertically.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

I'm looking for an excuse to buy an XBoxSex instead of a PS5.  I'm not quite there yet.  But its got potential. E3 will be fun this year, huh?

I don't know what Series X will cost at launch, but having a Game Pass subscription -- which includes all Microsoft first-party titles and hundreds of other games from third-party studios -- makes it a much better value proposition to me at the moment.

• Like 2

It's all very interesting.

I was reflecting on my brief time as an owner of all three current systems in the Discord last night before the Game Awards started, and I keep coming back to how well Gamepass works for someone like me who tends not to spend that much buying games anymore, and hasn't held onto a physical library of games since the Dreamcast era. I know I only held onto the X for a matter of months, but it was vital I had that first hand experience with what they're doing with services.

It gives me a lot of food for thought about whether that leads me to own the systems from the big three again next time around because I love where Nintendo are at right now and the colourful happiness Nintendo games so often bring with them is a real mood stabiliser in my life these days. Equally, I can't ignore the PS5 because I simply cannot turn a blind eye to where God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Spider-man...etc take us next, and I think they are finally going to get their act together when it comes to backwards compatibility.

I have no plans to buy any of the new consoles at launch. I'm going to have major expenses next year taken up with other tech purchases that I need to update, and having gone an entire generation without 5.1 I desperately want to find a away to get that back in my life with the new systems, and I would also like a TV ready to support VRR. Consequently it's hard to imagine getting either XBXS or PS5 until 2021/2022, but I do seriously think that I could end up with both eventually, with the draw of Xbox almost entirely being Gamepass rendering it my go to for multi-platform, and leaving PS5 and Nintendo for their exclusives. I would still like to build a PC again, and have access to Gamepass there too, but I'd still find still value (and a broader Gamepass library) on an Xbox I'm sure.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I have no plans to buy any of the new consoles at launch.

I don’t think this is a bad idea, per se. I’ve been pondering this as well. I bought a PS4 on launch day in November 2013. I played a bunch of PS4 games at launch, then spent the majority of the following year playing games on other systems like PS3, 3DS, and even Wii U. I barely touched the PS4 all year long.

I bought an Xbox One just before Christmas 2014 but didn’t hook it up until February 2015. I was out of HDMI inputs on my receiver, and I had two Xbox 360 games I wanted to play first before removing it. Once I did, I spent more time playing games on the Xbox One than the PS4 thanks to Halo: The Master Chief CollectionLife Is Strange, and Rare Replay.

It wasn’t until late-2015, early-2016 that I started using my PS4 more — like it took a little over two years for the games I wanted to finally arrive on the system. I’m still glad to have had a PS4 at launch, but it’s not like I couldn’t have waited (And subsequently saved myself some money in the process).

I’m not saying that I won’t buy either an XSX or PS5 at launch — it’s still way to early to know for sure what I want to do or what I can afford. Like you, I have other tech things I’d like to get first. For one, I’d like to upgrade to a 4K display, but I want a nice one, preferably an LG OLED. I also need a new receiver as my current model does not have HDCP 2.2 support. If we’re going all in on 4K HDR next gen, I want my games to look as good as they possibly can.

We’ll see how things shake out in the months to come. Already though, I can tell you that I like what I’m hearing from Microsoft now a lot more than I did in the run up to the the Xbox One launch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JFo said:

I've long appreciated the ability to suspend games and pick up where I left off right away -- both on Xbox One and PS4. Being able to do that with more than one game at a time would be awesome.

The best thing about that, that I assume comes with this, will be suspend states per user.

Then I can make the kids stop playing without the "but I haven't saved yet, and if you play tonight, you'll ruin my game!" arguments.

19 minutes ago, Kyle-K said:

The best thing about that, that I assume comes with this, will be suspend states per user.

Then I can make the kids stop playing without the "but I haven't saved yet, and if you play tonight, you'll ruin my game!" arguments.

In these situations I like to quote the old Russian proverb “toughski shitski.”

And follow that up with an American one: “lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.”

1 hour ago, Rainmaykr said:

So I guess trying to get us to stand our consoles vertically is still a thing.

Regardless, come to Butthead.

Def not gonna fit on any shelves I have. I don’t think anyone ever thinks about that. I guess making it flatter would make it look to much like the X. Phallic symbols FTW. 

Little point in my posting photos of the setup; it’s mostly in cupboards now for the disc players. Xbox lives vertically behind the TV, which given I can’t remember when I last changed discs on it isn’t an issue. The Playstations do the same on the downstairs TV as well. 

I will not be buying a PS5. Since getting the Xbox it’s basically untouched; there aren’t a lot of exclusives I buy, I can only justify one online/game pass subscription and the Microsoft pad is just so, so much better. 

(this is an obvious lie that will be proven wrong the moment a new WipEout arrives)