LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Bruce B

New receiver/preamp suggestion

Have been in Cali for 4 years and have had all my HT stock in storage due to living in an apartment. Renting a home in February so want to dust the cobwebs off and get this set up(hopefully all is still in tact)

I have all Def Tech speakers with built in subs and a SVS sub.

The main power source is a Rotel 1095 which I love

The preamp I used was a Denon 3801 which I'm certain is pretty outdated in this day and age.

Any suggestions for a new preamp to drive the Rotel?

You might want to wait until CES next month to see if anything surfaces. I’d like to think we’ll see receivers and pre-amps with HDMI 2.1 next year. Having said that they don’t always get announced in January, and may be left to later in 2020, so it depends on how urgently you want to make a purchase (or indeed whether HDMI 2.1 is expected to be of value to you).

• Like 1

I’m in the same waiting game. Having upgraded to the C9 OLED, I can’t justify a new receiver until we start to see some 2.1 receivers at affordable prices.

Same here. I'm hopeful I can add an HDMI 2.1 receiver to my setup when I add the next-gen consoles next fall. Been holding out on a new receiver for several years at this point, but after Atmos, nothing new has really come to the table.

Looks as though we'll be waiting until later in the year. I've not seen word of any new receivers at CES. Last year Denon and Marantz revealed their latest models in the spring, so we should probably look to April/May again for any 2020 updates. Yamaha have previously been known to make announcements in the spring or summer months. Soundbars typically dominate CES above true multi-channel devices, and this year seems no exception.

Does there exist a small, cheap amp that exists only for bluetooth connection to a source, plus two-channel speaker connections?

I would like to buy a tiny amp that I could put in my attic above my back patio, to which I could connect two in-ceiling speakers, such that when I want,  my cell would connect via bluetooth and I could stream music through my phone to the speakers.

I think I have an outlet up there near my A/C, but I would need to check. Otherwise I could put the box behind my family room TV, where I currently have the speaker wire terminating.  I've been living with just a soundbar for that tv, since my receiver failed.  It used to have a second zone that I used for the outdoor speakers. Now I have no way to drive those outdoor speakers, and I'd like the cheapest possible solution. 

Carlos.

47 minutes ago, Robot Monkey said:

I've had this tube amp on my wishlist for a while as a gift for someone:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13194

There are a few different models (the 25W one is on sale for $110).

That is gorgeous!  But way too sexy for hiding out of sight, as I intend.  I did scan my house for a location where I could display it and still have it serve the outdoor speakers, but it would be too far away.

11 hours ago, Orpheus said:

Check amazon, there's a whole slew of product in this category starting at about $30.

These are more in line with what I'm looking for.  I'm going to order one in the next month or so and let you know how it goes.  Thanks!

Carlos.

Is there a particular reason why you guys want HDMI 2.1 in your new receiver? Are you all planning on getting 8K monitors with 120fps support or something like that?

Personally, I'm looking at updrading my old the Onkyo TX-NR809 to the TX-RZ840. I'm waiting until the prices drop on last year's models so that I can get a better price on it. Once I have that, I can finally start thinking about getting a 4K set.

1 hour ago, JFo said:

Is there a particular reason why you guys want HDMI 2.1 in your new receiver?

Next Gen Consoles

1 minute ago, JFo said:

4K60 isn't enough for you monsters?

It's not about 8K, I assume most of us want VRR , ALLM, QMS, QFT

HDMI FORUM VARIABLE REFRESH RATE (VRR)

Like AMD's FreeSync or NVIDIA's G-SYNC, the HDMI group has created their own version of the VESA Adaptive Sync protocol. We don't know much about their implementation yet, but it is expected to not be compatible with AMD's FreeSync. That being said, there is nothing stopping manufacturers from implementing both, as Samsung has already implemented FreeSync on some 2018 TVs and is expected to support both FreeSync and HDMI Forum VRR on some 2019 models.

Learn more about VRR

AUTO LOW LATENCY MODE

Another great feature created with gamers in mind, Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), also known as Auto Game Mode, allows supported TVs to automatically enable the TV's low latency 'Game' mode when it detects a game being played. This saves you the hassle of having to manually enable it each time you start playing. It even knows the difference between playing a game, watching a game on YouTube, or watching a movie, and automatically switches as needed. Again, Samsung was ahead of the pack with this feature, as some 2018 models already support it.

QUICK MEDIA SWITCHING (QMS)

In the past, whenever your device changed the parameters of the signal it was sending, like TV, the screen would go black for a few seconds while the TV adjusted to the new signal. This would be especially noticeable on game consoles, where the output refresh rate, and even the resolution, would sometimes change depending on the content. Quick media switching fixes this issue. When a compatible source is connected to a compatible display, the display will no longer display a black screen when switching formats, instead instantly switching between modes with no distracting black screen.

QUICK FRAME TRANSPORT (QFT)

Quick Frame Transport changes the way images are transferred from a source device to a display. Frames are transferred at a much higher rate, in order to reduce latency. Total input lag is a measure of many factors, including the time it takes the display to process the image and display it on screen. QFT won't completely eliminate input lag, but it will reduce the lag caused by the transfer time between the source and the display.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/tv/tests/inputs/hdmi-2-1

• Like 3

Gaming will really be the main benefit. I think it just makes sense long term as you never know how many 2.1 devices you may have someday and appreciate having extra HDMI switching, and a receiver is often preferable for ease of access to HDMI inputs.

I’m also quite curious if 2.1 receivers could ever be set to trick a display with older devices, by which I mean if you hooked up something like a PS4 or SNES mini to the receiver I wonder if you could set it up in the receiver to tell the TV to trigger auto low latency and quick frame transport modes. 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2020 at 4:58 PM, JFo said:

4K60 isn't enough for you monsters?

Nope. Not when 120hz VRR is attainable. ALLM is also sneaky wonderful. Having the X auto turn on game mode is quality of life shit I never knew I needed.

Denon have announced their 8k/HDMI 2.1 receivers (they may in fact be amplifiers. Seeing some reports they have finally abandoned tuners):

https://www.avforums.com/news/denon-introduces-8k-ready-av-receivers-as-industrys-first.17649

They appear to support the full array of HDMI 2.1 features save for full bandwidth 48Gbps.

They may only have one functional 2.1 input (two out). Trying to find solid confirmation on that. Would render them limited if we’re to assume both next-gen consoles support 2.1 (if they support QFT and QMS over 2.0b that’d be fine though. I really want to see those features implemented in devices).

I’d expect Marantz models to follow.

Tis true. Only one full-bandwidth HDMI 2.1 in. I’ve seen reports (but not confirmed) that the other inputs will support some HDMI 2.1 features (ALLM, framerate, etc.) but they aren’t 48 gbs ports. Very disappointing. Can’t decide whether to go with 6700 or stick with my 6200 for another year. I want 7.2.6 (have two top middle speakers currently doing nothing) but the lack of true HDMI 2.1 switching gives me great pause.

US models do have AM/FM tuners.

• Interesting 1

I wonder how much of the problem can be circumvented by using HDMI 2.1 ports on the TV and just feeding back eARC to the amp/receiver?

I'm not too hung up on the reduced bandwidth (LG's 2020 TVs do not support 48Gbps). Either way, I am not sure what the reason is for not having 2.1 switching on the amp/receiver itself, especially with that restriction in place. 

All that said, it's highly unlikely I can acquire anything this year and get back into 5.1, so I'll likely see what 2021 brings.

Perhaps eARC will be better than standard ARC, but it is crazy finicky getting sound from the TV to the receiver. At least from the onboard apps. I have no HDMI devices hooked straight to TV. But those are the only options to get Dolby Vision. 

I've read rumors that the silicon needed to handle full-bandwidth HDMI 2.1 switching is not there yet, and that no OEM will offer more than one full-bandwidth HDMI 2.1 input this year. We'll see what Yamaha brings to the table. Onkyo/Pioneer haven't announced anything so who knows what they are up to... or if Anthem is going to bring anything to the party.

I'm not likely to update my Sony x900f this year so it really doesn't matter right now, but still would be nice to have something a little more “future-proof.”

On 6/5/2020 at 2:44 PM, Brandon H said:

I've read rumors that the silicon needed to handle full-bandwidth HDMI 2.1 switching is not there yet, and that no OEM will offer more than one full-bandwidth HDMI 2.1 input this year.

I’ve been reading similar. Apparently LG went to some expense to get a custom chipset in their OLEDs last year, a chipset which did support it, whereas this year the 2.1 support in the 2020 TVs do not support the higher bandwidth. 

Here’s a lengthy video on the new Denon models:

Hopefully the 2021 models get full 2.1 switching as I’d like to aim to have a surround set up again late next year or at the latest by the summer of 2022 (when the ‘21 models would likely have nice discounts). The X4700 is the performance tier I’d go for. It’s £1400 here at launch which seems reasonable.