LCVG

New receiver/preamp suggestion

At £1800 for the five-channel version (which is all I need; I have no plans for centre-back, let alone height speakers) it’s not cheap. But it’s certainly an alternative to the Arcam, which is about the only surround + music option I’ve found would properly satisfy me if I want one amp to do everything. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I neglected to say a more broad thank you to you guys.    I unraveled this whole HDMI 2.1 and eArc thing, the cables, the TV, the receiver, and the overall design solely based on the recomme

So, Yamaha just announced low-end receivers with three full-fat HDMI 2.1 ports.   https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/index.html   Denon and Marantz have

I do think the 2.1 spec has too many optional branches.  This was already a problem in previous versions but 2.1 kicks it up quite a notch. That leads to the consumer having to make a matrix of featur

Posted Images

My Sony x900h arrives today, and Denon AVR-X3600H shipped today. I am going to hook these two babies up to one another (TV on the floor, cables on the floor) to do some basic tests. See if eArc working. See if there is any lag. See if my cables actually work.

I have an electrician coming in a week to install the height speakers, put in outlets, and finalize everything (mount the heavy ass TV). So I want to make sure crap works before we start cutting holes, etc.

3 hours ago, iainl said:

At £1800 for the five-channel version (which is all I need; I have no plans for centre-back, let alone height speakers) it’s not cheap. But it’s certainly an alternative to the Arcam, which is about the only surround + music option I’ve found would properly satisfy me if I want one amp to do everything. 

Only real issue with Arcam, HDMI aside, is they seem to have very buggy software from what I've read in recent years.

I have a Denon S750H receiver on the way and I had a question on a possible speaker set up.  My current family room has an older non 4K friendly pioneer receiver with 5.1 speakers, and my surrounds are actually in the ceiling a few feet behind the couch.  This new Denon was purchased to solve the problem of not having enough 4k inputs on a new TV, and the desire to have eARC for the new Xbox.  I was planning on setting up the receiver with 5.1 speakers, but thought it might be possible to do a 3.1.2 setup for Atmos.  I don't have any experience with Atmos, but all this new tech has me thinking I might be able to have it in my family room.  Is a 3.1.2 speaker setup possible and would it be better than the traditional 5.1 setup?

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Romier S said:

Basically, the PS5 and RTX 30xx cards work. The Series X does not due to it sending compressed signals to the receiver.

Ah interesting I had it backwards 

I still hope Xbox can issue a firmware update that can disable link compression though since that requires higher clocking it may not be feasible if the board design didn’t account for it.

On 11/2/2020 at 7:41 AM, foogledricks said:

My Sony x900h arrives today, and Denon AVR-X3600H shipped today. I am going to hook these two babies up to one another (TV on the floor, cables on the floor) to do some basic tests. See if eArc working. See if there is any lag. See if my cables actually work.

I have an electrician coming in a week to install the height speakers, put in outlets, and finalize everything (mount the heavy ass TV). So I want to make sure crap works before we start cutting holes, etc.

How’s the 3600 working for you?

Thanks for asking. I sort of gave a summary in the TV thread, but here is a more 3600-focused take:

• Because I wanted/needed HDMI 2.1 workflow, and didn't want to spend a million dollars, I got a receiver that primarily would server as an eArc Atmos receiver. Meaning I'm not really planning to use this as a switch
  • So my PS5 goes directly to my X900H and both that and the Apps(Netflix, etc.) on the X900H loop back over eArc to my Denon 3600
  • This has worked great, although I had to make a bunch of configuration changes on the X900H to get it to work
  • I've have periodic audio drop-outs for 10 seconds or so when using Apps, but I think that's an X900H issue
  • I've never had a receiver that had a UI overlay or a phone app for control, or bluetooth for music before. Those are pretty neat features
  • Truly appreciated the setup wizard. Best I've used. Calibrated all my speakers for me and helped me turn off things I didn't care about.
  • One downside is that only one input on my TV does eArc, and it is 1/2 of my HDMI 2.1 ports. So using eArc at all kills my plan of running a PS5 and an Xbox SX directly to my TV. I'll have to get an HDMI 2.1 switcher at some point to use my one available HDMI 2.1 port.
  • I was confused about whether ATMOS was actually working. Didn't realize that DD+ is actually a container for Atmos, so Atmos was actually working fine when I thought it wasn't. All speakers are firing when watching Atmos content.
  • No Atmos on the PS5 for gaming though. So not using my height speakers for PS5 contents. That sucks.
  • I do still have my PC hooked up to the receiver which is only 1080p. And interestingly, I am able to send my 3600 signal through the eArc cable to my TV, and not have it be confused, since typically the TV sends the audio back through that same cable for eArc. But in this case it is a more conventional input-only usage. But it works fine.

The whole setup works great, except for a few X900h bugs that hopefully will be fixed soon.

• 2 months later...
On 12/4/2020 at 3:03 PM, kelley said:

Well I ordered a Denon x4500h today. It'll be my first ever Denon.

How are you liking the x4500h?  I’ve yet to own a Denon but would consider it since I’ve jumped around having owned a Pioneer, H/K, Onkyo and now Yamaha.  Those others are too rich for my blood.  😕

Still waiting. Yamaha have said that theirs will work, but they've also delayed the release of most of their models, so .... Denon/Marantz says that they are working on a fix but have shared no real details or timelines. I would wait before I spent any real money on a receiver or pre/pro. I'm not expecting to buy until later in the year at the soonest.

12 hours ago, Angel P said:

How are you liking the x4500h?  I’ve yet to own a Denon but would consider it since I’ve jumped around having owned a Pioneer, H/K, Onkyo and now Yamaha.  Those others are too rich for my blood.  😕

It’s good enough. The UI is better than my old Marantz that was just one year older than this unit. I haven’t tuned it yet as I’m waiting on my couch to arrive in March 2nd.