LCVG

New receiver/preamp suggestion

Bruce B

Let's hope for the latter. Another box would just be more confusing, and... well, another damn box people really don't want to have to put somewhere.

I accept the pandemic has made things difficult for acquiring parts and their pricing when it comes to putting fully compatible 2.1 boards into devices and displays, but this time next year I would really hope that there's no excuse. I really don't want to hear of a single damn TV at CES 2022 that still has some 2.0 ports on it, and it's perhaps an even bigger deal on receivers since they function as multi-input switchers too.

It's bizarre - Yamaha is at an absolutely standstill in terms of new AV Receivers in the Aventage line. They put out a mid-tier one last year and then just ... stopped. The 80 line is still the "latest" and it's not to be found at the usual places like Crutchfield. I wonder if it's the bug, chip shortage, or poor reaction to the new design. I've been waiting for a placement to my RXA850 with full Dolby Vision support and I'm hesitant to grab the A2A as it seems it was a stopgap.

Anyone have any insight?

And I just answered my own question with a simple Google search: https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1621345156

Of note - it took 3 years to release these updates. Amazing.

I suspect it’s a little of all of the above. They’ve already said somewhere that the models already released will require an external box “fix” similar to Denon/Marantz models.

I’d love to jump on the A8A but it doesn’t offer six-channel Atmos processing. I’d like to eventually use the extra pair of speakers I wired into my ceiling. 

It looks like Yamaha are offering 2.1 across all seven HDMI inputs and single output on those receivers. Am I interpreting the specs right? Looking at the photographs of the rear of their receivers there's certainly nothing to specify only one or two inputs support 2.1 as we see on the Denon/Marantz units. That's excellent if that's the case, and gives Denon/Marantz no excuse not to offer the same when they next refresh their receivers. 

On 4/27/2021 at 9:47 AM, Angry the Clown said:

Denon/Marantz have announced a free external hardware adapter solution to work around the HDMI 2.1 fault in the boards featured in several of their most recent receivers.

Affected Models
Denon AVR-A110                   Marantz AV7706
Denon AVR-X6700H               Marantz SR8015
Denon AVR-X4700H               Marantz SR7015
Denon AVR-X3700H               Marantz SR6015
Denon AVR-X2700H               Marantz SR5015
Denon AVR-S960H                 Marantz NR1711

43E2DC20C4C34E038723F6DEAAF90A62.png

https://www.denon.com/en-gb/hdmiadapter

https://www.marantz.com/en-gb/hdmiadapter

Thanks for the info, just registered to get an adapter for my SR5015.

3 minutes ago, NickC said:

Thanks for the info, just registered to get an adapter for my SR5015.

How are you liking the 5015 in general? Marantz appeal to me for whenever I can realistically get back into surround again in future (whatever the future equivalent of a 6015 might be in a few years would be on the shortlist).

5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

How are you liking the 5015 in general? Marantz appeal to me for whenever I can realistically get back into surround again in future (whatever the future equivalent of a 6015 might be in a few years would be on the shortlist).

I like it, I don't do anything particularly fancy with it, but it meets my current needs and it sounds well with my triad speakers.

Just now, NickC said:

I like it, I don't do anything particularly fancy with it, but it meets my current needs and it sounds well with my triad speakers.

That's good. I doubt I'd really need a 9 channel unit, but I'd like to cover my bases on the off chance I end up somewhere in future where I could go 5.1.4 Atmos, so I think I'd be looking at whatever the modern equivalent is of the 6015 or Denon's 4700 in two or three years. I'm so short on space right now I just don't think I can do anything next year to even start over with 5.1 again (or 5.0 since it's hard to imagine being in a house rather than an apartment sadly).  

• 4 weeks later...

Hallelujah, indeed. I think that might be my next receiver. I’ve waited years to make the upgrade to 4K and I think we’re finally getting to a point where I will be able to get exactly what I want/need to make it happen.

15 hours ago, JFo said:

Hallelujah, indeed. I think that might be my next receiver. I’ve waited years to make the upgrade to 4K and I think we’re finally getting to a point where I will be able to get exactly what I want/need to make it happen.

good thing you waited. My receiver does 4k. Sorta. But not Dolby Vision. But it’ll pass HDR10. 

2 hours ago, Josh said:

good thing you waited. My receiver does 4k. Sorta. But not Dolby Vision. But it’ll pass HDR10. 

I'd love to boast that I waited as a result of foresight and good planning. Truthfully, I just didn't have the funds to buy what I wanted until now.

The good news is that I proclaimed my desire to get a new receiver and 4K TV to my wife last night, and she didn't laugh in my face. She said we could talk about it... later. 

1 hour ago, Josh said:

The Denon I bought years ago served me well. I picked it up when I bought my first OLED (the B6) and it has since been updated for DV support and more so I’ve never needed to update until now. Considering the limited support for 120hz, I’m in no hurry. I want VRR support more, frankly but Sony is dragging their feet there so again - I can wait.

17 minutes ago, Romier S said:

The Denon I bought years ago served me well. I picked it up when I bought my first OLED (the B6) and it has since been updated for DV support and more so I’ve never needed to update until now. Considering the limited support for 120hz, I’m in no hurry. I want VRR support more, frankly but Sony is dragging their feet there so again - I can wait.

Same for the most part. Yamaha added support not too long ago and continue to update with fixes 5 years after I got this thing. Will probably upgrade when I eventually replace this C7, which isn’t any time soon.

It's definitely good to see more coming to the market, and again I hope that this time next year we'll be seeing models that have 2.1 across all inputs/outputs. 

It's also worth re-stressing that there's very little reason to get hung up on any device only having 40Gbps 2.1 support over the full bandwidth 48Gbps as it really only relates to 100-120fps 4:4:4 12 bit 4k signals (and there's no sign of consumer display devices having native 12bit panels anytime soon, and outside of the PC space 4:4:4 isn't even of concern either), so even next year I wouldn't be in the least bit put off by a display or a receiver that was 40Gbps 2.1. 

q44it1HMK-JJAQltUvA4r45UlRAO2uHcXgO3WKZv

HDMI 2.1 also incorporates Display Stream Compression (DSC) which is supposed to be able to compress high bandwidth feeds with an imperceptible loss in image quality (a 4:4:4 12bit 100/120fps 4k feed needing 48Gbps would be reduced to 18Gbps for example), and similarly this can be applied to 8k bandwidth requirements too which as you can see above are still fairly accommodating to a native 40Gbps bandwidth at certain frame and sub sampling rates anyway. The DSC conversion would be required at the source output end of the chain in the device settings.

I don't think it hurts to pay up for 48Gbps compatible HDMI cables, but at the receiver/display end I really do think we'll be well served my 40Gbps for a long time.

Tempting, but given Onkyo's precarious situation and the fact that that it doesn't offer 7.2.6 processing, I think I can hold out a bit longer. Still hoping that someone will release one that offers enough channels to use all the speakers in my ceiling. I think 2022 might be a big upgrade year for me between receiver and new TV.

4 hours ago, Brandon H said:

Tempting, but given Onkyo's precarious situation and the fact that that it doesn't offer 7.2.6 processing, I think I can hold out a bit longer. Still hoping that someone will release one that offers enough channels to use all the speakers in my ceiling. 

You wouldn't want that many amps internally though surely? I like that Denon have brought pre-outs into their mid range line up now. Having a power amp drive the front three, or main five channels, and then leaving the rest to the receiver's internal amps would be a good way to go.

I have a seven-channel amp for my base layer, but even using outboard amps, this receiver won’t even decode more than 11 channels (not counting subs) — 7.1 plus 4 Atmos channels. Ideally, I need 13 — 7.1 + 6 Atmos channels. First world problem, I know. Nonetheless, my wait continues…

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Onkyo TX-RZ50 is up for pre-order on Crutchfield for those interested. $1,399.00 of your hard-earned (or even ill-gotten) cash will net you one.

It’s a bit pricier than I would like, but unless the reviews for it are terrible, I believe this will be my new receiver. I’ve used Onkyo receivers for years, and they’ve proven to be a good match with my B&W 683s. At some point, after I’ve upgraded both the receiver and my TV, I may even try to get an external amp and go back into the world of separates. It’s been a while, but I think I finally have the room in my rack to pull it off again.