6- Greta [BD] (2018) 2/5*

7- Aladdin [UHD] (2019) 3.5/5*

8- Instant Family [BD] (2018) 4.5/5*

FEBRUARY - (10 films watched)

9- Star Wars: The Last Jedi [UHD] (2018) 3/5*

10- Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) 2/5*

11- Terminator: Dark Fate [UHD] (2019) 3.5/5*

12- Michelle Wolf: Joke Show [Netflix] (2019) 3/5*

13- Too Funny To Fail: The Life & Death of the Dana Carver Show [Hulu] (2017) 3/5*

14- Crazy Rich Asians [BD] (2018) 3.5/5*

15- Aladdin [UHD] (2019) 4/5*

16- Ford v Ferrari [UHD] (2019) 4.5/5*

17- Gladiator [UHD] (2000) 5/5*

18- 21 Bridges [BD] (2019) 4/5*

January

Six Underground (netflix):  2 out of 5 Magnets and Miracles.

Joker:  5 out of 5 Devils Dancing in a Pale Moonlight.

Marriage Story:  2 out of 5 Bloodsucking Lawyers

Paul:  3 out of 5 Falling Stars

Rambo: Last Blood -  3 out of 5 Heart Attacks.

Ad Astra: 1 out of 5 Minor Toms.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood:  3 out of 5 "BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS!"

The Gentlemen: 4 out of 5 Pikey Caravans

January
Marriage Story

Dolemite is My Name

The Lighthouse

See You Yesterday

Booksmart

Avengers EndGame

Captain Marvel

Bad Boys

Six Underground - Netflix:   Pretty bad, some mildly redeeming gunplay sequences and a hell of a lot of overly loud, bombastic Michael Bay action sequences.  Ryan Reynolds quips his way through this paycheck for him with 1/10 of the humor, and none of the sentiment of Deadpool.  Not really worth your time.

I give it 2 out of 5 Magnets and Miracles.

Carlos.

54 minutes ago, Carlucci said:

Six Underground - Netflix:   Pretty bad, some mildly redeeming gunplay sequences and a hell of a lot of overly loud, bombastic Michael Bay action sequences.  Ryan Reynolds quips his way through this paycheck for him with 1/10 of the humor, and none of the sentiment of Deadpool.  Not really worth your time.

I give it 2 out of 5 Magnets and Miracles.

Carlos.

I didn’t even get 20 min into it. Trash.

Joker - It's a different kind of dystopian movie, one eerily close to reality as we continue to throw pills, and very little real human contact, at our mentally ill. 

It's powerful and disturbing, and also very moving and terrifying. In the span of the movie,  I pitied Joker, I loved him, I cheered for him, I feared him, and feared for him.

And I hated him.

He's Travis Bickle if, in Taxi Driver, Travis had succeeded in his initial plots to get negative attention, the only kind he thought he was worthy of.

Joker is what happens when those leading lives of quiet desperation, ravaged by slow simmering, violent mental illness, are quiet no more.

This was an important film.

I give it 5 out of 5 Devils Dancing in a Pale Moonlight.

Carlos.

• Like 2

Marriage Story - Sure, it's some tremendous acting, but it's also false advertising.  It should be called Divorce Story.  Maybe to the vapid Hollywood elites, divorce is just the (un)natural, expected end of marriage, and it makes sense to them.  I was unable to emotionally connect with these characters,

Spoiler

especially as soon as I found out that the husband is a cheating dirtbag,

so it all just fell flat to me.  Watch Kramer vs Kramer, or even The War of the Roses if you want divorce tales that feel tragic and sad.  

I give it 2 out of 5 Bloodsucking Lawyers.

----------------------

Paul - This was showing on Cinemax, and I realized it was the only Pegg/Frost film that I hadn't yet seen.  I think it was because it got a lot of negative buzz.  It does have some really funny parts, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, but it's still the weakest of their movies together.

I give it 3 out of 5 Falling Stars.

Carlos.

2 hours ago, Carlucci said:

Marriage Story - Sure, it's some tremendous acting, but it's also false advertising.  It should be called Divorce Story.  Maybe to the vapid Hollywood elites, divorce is just the (un)natural, expected end of marriage, and it makes sense to them.  I was unable to emotionally connect with these characters,

Reveal hidden contents

especially as soon as I found out that the husband is a cheating dirtbag,

so it all just fell flat to me.  Watch Kramer vs Kramer, or even The War of the Roses if you want divorce tales that feel tragic and sad.  

I give it 2 out of 5 Bloodsucking Lawyers.

Carlos.

I have enough trauma in my life over divorce, being as my parents divorced before I even made it to kindergarten.  I actually have no memories of my parents together.  Once I found out this movie was all about that I had less than zero desire to watch it, ever.  

It's been a long time since I've seen The War of the Roses.  I don't remember it being tragic, but quite funny honestly.  Not the best from the that duo, but still good stuff.  

There is a movie called Bye Bye Love that I adored.  Really great ensemble cast. About divorce. Funny. But emotional and tragic ultimately.

6 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I have enough trauma in my life over divorce, being as my parents divorced before I even made it to kindergarten.  I actually have no memories of my parents together.  Once I found out this movie was all about that I had less than zero desire to watch it, ever.  

It's been a long time since I've seen The War of the Roses.  I don't remember it being tragic, but quite funny honestly.  Not the best from the that duo, but still good stuff.  

I've been fortunate in not having experienced divorce, other than one of my sisters, who, frankly, earned it by going too far in religious zeal.  Her husband cheated, and they wound up with an annulment (she pulled strings in the Church) even after 18 years and 3 kids. 

And oh, is The War of The Roses ever tragic!   It is indeed hilarious at times, and that's what lulls you into thinking you're in a comedy, but you're really watching a dark, twisted horror of a movie.  Remember, it's Danny DeVito telling the tale of the Roses to another client wanting a divorce, and really wanting to stick it to his wife.  He reveals all the terrible, malicious and savage things the Roses did to each other as their love turned to hate, but it's the very final scene that seals the tragedy.  Throughout the movie, you always felt like Mr. Rose still loved Mrs. Rose intently and deeply, and hated the nastiness, while she seemed to relish it, never once showing a hint of their former love, except to trick him.  

Then,  in their final scene,

Spoiler

they have both fallen along with the chandelier she meant to crush him to death with.  As they both lie dying, bodies crushed from the fall, he reaches out lovingly for one last moment of contact, and tenderly places his hand on her shoulder.  She struggles to reach his hand, both of them breathing their last breaths, and just when you think it's going to be a reconciliation and final act of love, she brushes his hand off her shoulder!  Hate, until death do you part.

The movie ends with the DeVito's client having second thoughts, and DeVito rushing home to his wife, so I guess they bring a final measure of hope to the otherwise really dark movie.

Carlos.

• Like 2

Wow, nice recall.  I remember all that now that you bring it up.  I actually get a chuckle out of the bitterness mentioned in your spoiler.  Even by then, and I probably would have seen it in 90 or 91 and been all of 12 or 13, I was probably very cynical of marriage anyhow.  Which also explains why I didn't even start looking for a wife until I was in my late 20's, married at 31.  My father's second marriage didn't exactly do me any favors.  I still have issues with my stepmother.  And my mom's subsequent marriage's, plural, never lessened that cynical-ness.

Thanks Dr. Carlos.

It came out the year I was married, 1989, and back then my wife and I, young and childless, had a very strict movie policy:  If a movie came out, we saw it!  So we definitely saw it in the theater soon after our first Christmas as husband and wife.  Great timing!

So this one, I took as a cautionary tale.  I've only seen it in its entirety maybe 3 times, but it definitely has stayed with me.  

I just re-watched the trailer, and it definitely tries to go for the comedy angle, with subtle hints of the darkness inside.  It would be interesting to see a cut of the trailer done as a psychological thriller with different music and an more ominous tone.

Carlos.

5 hours ago, Carlucci said:

Paul - This was showing on Cinemax, and I realized it was the only Pegg/Frost film that I hadn't yet seen.  I think it was because it got a lot of negative buzz.  It does have some really funny parts, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, but it's still the weakest of their movies together.

I remember this one. Pegg and Frost have great chemistry, but there was something missing. I found out afterwards that Edgar Wright didn't direct.

On 1/12/2020 at 10:41 AM, Carlucci said:

Joker - It's a different kind of dystopian movie, one eerily close to reality as we continue to throw pills, and very little real human contact, at our mentally ill. 

It's powerful and disturbing, and also very moving and terrifying. In the span of the movie,  I pitied Joker, I loved him, I cheered for him, I feared him, and feared for him.

And I hated him.

He's Travis Bickle if, in Taxi Driver, Travis had succeeded in his initial plots to get negative attention, the only kind he thought he was worthy of.

Joker is what happens when those leading lives of quiet desperation, ravaged by slow simmering, violent mental illness, are quiet no more.

This was an important film.

I give it 5 out of 5 Devils Dancing in a Pale Moonlight.

Carlos.

It's not a movie you "like" in the sense that its fun to watch. I can understand why people dislike the movie. It's depressing and hard to watch given it has very little levity or any positive denouement by the time its credits are rolling. If anything, any moments of comedy are pretty uncomfortable. It's also pretty disturbing and deeply grounded to a rotting version of Gotham and its inhabitants. I think that's why comic book fans seem to dislike it most. Frankly,  I think the movie is at its weakest when its trying to clumsily shoehorn in "Batman shit" if that makes sense.

The argument would be well then why call it Joker? Why not? We've had a number of comic book interpretations of the character. Heath Ledger providing probably the definitive interpretation in "The Dark Knight" while balancing it in a real world crime drama. I think we have room in the world for an even more grounded and disturbing version of the character here in the Taxi Driver/King of Comedy mold.

I ran through the same emotional gamut with Arthur throughout the film. You feel sorry for him, you want to hug him and then you're creeped out by him and finally you hate him and what society has made him by the end. I watched it again a few nights ago and its definitely a damned fine film.

• Like 1

I think we have room in the world for an even more grounded and disturbing version of the character here in the Taxi Driver/King of Comedy mold.

How closely it follows the template of those two films is a large reason why I felt I'd seen it before. 

2 hours ago, dogbert said:

How closely it follows the template of those two films is a large reason why I felt I'd seen it before. 

Yeah, that's a fair criticism. Its definitely in that Brian DePalma range of homage becoming imitation.

Little Women - should be renamed Jo + her Sisters, as it's thoroughly focused on her character. Gerwig re-orders the story well, jumping between "now" when they're adults, and "then" when they were all still living at home as teenagers. The decision to make the light much more warm in the "past" and consistently cold in the "now" really helps to ground each scene, making it clear when it's taking place, even within quick jumps between them. 

Overall, it's a fine telling of a very well known story at this point. It doesn't massively modernize it, though I think it tweaks the story in a few key areas towards the end,   with the ending in particular being masterful IMO. It's not a big twist ending, it's not a big massive reveal, but not going to spoil how it's handled. 

I'm not really the audience for it. Daughter enjoyed it, but felt it was a little long. A key scene got notably loud sobs from different parts of the theatre, so somebody loved it. Best film of the year? I don't think so, but can see it as a strong candidate for best adaptation, though that field is crammed this year.

• Like 1

Rambo: Last Blood- I have a soft spot for Rambo. I owned First Blood on VHS and used to watch it regularly, and Rambo was just a great, heroic war/action movie.  In this, the final installment of his saga, he's leading a peaceful life in Arizona, only to be drawn into battle with Mexican rapists and sex traffickers.  

It's quite touching and emotionally wrenching in the first half, and by the second half, just as in all the other Rambo movies, you're cheering and "fuck yeah-ing" as he just keeps killing fuckers.  

I give it 3 out of 5 Heart Attacks.

‐------------------

Ad Astra - Just plain boring. It's not good that the most intense sequences are a mad-max style vehicle battle on the moon, and a zero-G gunfight with space baboons.

I give it 1 out of 5 Minor Toms.

Carlos.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - I loved Inglorius Basterds.  The opening credits literally begin with "Once Upon a Time...", so you know what you're going to get, a fairy tale set in real-world events.  It worked for me, and while I'm sure some dolts who failed a history exam after watching would disagree, no one could take it seriously, and one could just enjoy the escapism of really good storytelling.   For OUaTiH, it's right in the title, so, likewise, you know to expect an alternate history tale.  But it rings foul for me though.  I didn't like QT playing games with the real-life Tate-LaBianca murders.

Other than that bad taste, the movie was good.  Brad Pitt shines, and Leo gives a great performance as a movie star dealing with planned obsolescence.  Still, it will fall towards the bottom of my QT movie ranking,  but still above Hateful Eight, his absolute worst.

I give it 3 out of 5 "BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS!"

Carlos.

On 1/18/2020 at 6:03 PM, dogbert said:

Little Women - should be renamed Jo + her Sisters, as it's thoroughly focused on her character. Gerwig re-orders the story well, jumping between "now" when they're adults, and "then" when they were all still living at home as teenagers. The decision to make the light much more warm in the "past" and consistently cold in the "now" really helps to ground each scene, making it clear when it's taking place, even within quick jumps between them. 

Overall, it's a fine telling of a very well known story at this point. It doesn't massively modernize it, though I think it tweaks the story in a few key areas towards the end,   with the ending in particular being masterful IMO. It's not a big twist ending, it's not a big massive reveal, but not going to spoil how it's handled. 

I'm not really the audience for it. Daughter enjoyed it, but felt it was a little long. A key scene got notably loud sobs from different parts of the theatre, so somebody loved it. Best film of the year? I don't think so, but can see it as a strong candidate for best adaptation, though that field is crammed this year.

We saw it opening day, lots of sobbing in the theater. I thought the timeline jumping was annoying personally. The Winona Ryder version is a much better adaptation  IMHO, and it’s in 4K on AppleTV. 

The Gentlemen - Guy Ritchie reloads his winning formula from Snatch, and delivers an excellent gangster tale, with a career-best performance by Matthew McConaughey. It's not quite as good as Snatch, but it's definitely close. 

I give it 4 out of 5 Pikey Caravans.

P.S.  I really hate going to theaters on a weekend night. We had two stoner brunettes behind us who were trying to treat the movie like it was a laugh-riot comedy, laughing hysterically, and repeating the funny lines out loud to each other. Sure, it's got funny moments,  but it's not meant to be Jumanji,  you daft Seawards!

Carlos. 

Terminator Dark Fate - A very mediocre film for me. Retreads too many scenes and ideas from T2 but doesn’t do any of them better and mixes these with the worst parts of Terminator Genesis. It’s ok I guess and some of the effects were good but, it adds nothing to the series. 

I give it 2.5 out of 5 Stabby Arms.

• Like 1

Color out of Space - Nicholas Cage follows up Mandy with another gonzo horror movie, this time from an old Lovecraft short story about a family in the middle of nowhere facing an existential crisis because of an alien presence that takes over + consumes everything living with colours unseeable. Lots of body horror, lots of existential dread, lots of impending doom and crazy acting by Cage - it fits his character, but man, he pushes it. Slow start, great ending, though others disagree. I thoroughly enjoyed it for the focused low budget horror it is - it really nails the impending unknowable doom to these characters. 

Everything I like about it will likely turn off a lot of mainstream viewers. You've been warned. 

• Like 2