LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angel P

Films - Watched and thoughts 2020

3 hours ago, dogbert said:

Color out of Space - Nicholas Cage follows up Mandy with another gonzo horror movie, this time from an old Lovecraft short story about a family in the middle of nowhere facing an existential crisis because of an alien presence that takes over + consumes everything living with colours unseeable. Lots of body horror, lots of existential dread, lots of impending doom and crazy acting by Cage - it fits his character, but man, he pushes it. Slow start, great ending, though others disagree. I thoroughly enjoyed it for the focused low budget horror it is - it really nails the impending unknowable doom to these characters. 

Everything I like about it will likely turn off a lot of mainstream viewers. You've been warned. 

So great to hear this. I posted the trailer for it in the upcoming movies thread and was looking forward to it. I loved Mandy to bits and you know my feelings on Lovecraft. Definitely need to add this one to the viewing pile soon.

• Like 1

Terminator: Dark Fate- A pointless,  overly "woke", virtue signaling mess.  Apparently, only  XX's need apply to save the fate of man, er, humankind. The action sequences were fine, but still failed to match the intensity and awe-inspiring feeling of the groundbreaking effects in T2.

I give it 2 out of 5 John Gonnors.  

Doctor Sleep - A strong, tense horror film that is a great adaptation of the novel, and an emotional follow-on to the Dan Torrence story from the Shining. Going back to The Overlook was very well done.

I give it 4 out of 5 Big Wheels Keep on Turning.

Zombieland: Double Tap - a worthy sequel, which had some great laughs and struck the right, comical tone.  Zoey Deutch played her character too well, and I found myself really annoyed by her. The end-credit cameo by the great BM made the movie. 

I give it 3 out of 5 Hairballs

Carlos.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Carlucci said:

Doctor Sleep - A strong, tense horror film that is a great adaptation of the novel, and an emotional follow-on to the Dan Torrence story from the Shining. Going back to The Overlook was very well done.

We watched this too this week with the intent of splitting it over two nights, but it grabbed us so much it to do that. Thoroughly enjoyed it. A far far better sequel than I expected. 

• Like 1

Parasite - This is an absolutely phenomenal film. Possibly the definitive film examining class warfare over the last 15-20 years. It will leave you thinking long and hard about its themes and especially the final scene where you come to realize that none of the people in the movie are the parasites but instead....we’ll I don’t want to ruin it. I can’t recommend it enough and my god, go in totally blind! You simply will not see any of what happens coming.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Romier S said:

Parasite - This is an absolutely phenomenal film. Possibly the definitive film examining class warfare over the last 15-20 years. It will leave you thinking long and hard about its themes and especially the final scene where you come to realize that none of the people in the movie are the parasites but instead....we’ll I don’t want to ruin it. I can’t recommend it enough and my god, go in totally blind! You simply will not see any of what happens coming.

Good timing to finally watch this ;) Probably my favourite film from last year, and I went to see it again last week, and loved it even more. Deserved the Oscars it received. 

• Like 2

I shouldn't be surprised, but I'm still annoyed, at the amount of "but subtitles" style comments I'm reading on Facebook. 😕 

• Sad 1

In fairness, the one person I've known to be "but subtitles" about films in real life subsequently (once I knew them much better) admitted to having some adult literacy issues. So I try not to push people too far on that now. And in the privacy of their own home they're welcome to watch the dub.

17 hours ago, iainl said:

In fairness, the one person I've known to be "but subtitles" about films in real life subsequently (once I knew them much better) admitted to having some adult literacy issues. So I try not to push people too far on that now. And in the privacy of their own home they're welcome to watch the dub.

The people I've seen complaining do not have that issue. Just lazy ;)

• Like 2

Catch up... 

Doctor Sleep - as mentioned, totally riveting, a film that blew away my expectations out of a sequel to the Shining. Great performances by the three leads. Great plotting for the story. And the return to the Overlook was handled extremely well. 

Gretel & Hansel - this was a real surprise. It's extremely dark, and manages to be quite grotesque at times by choosing its imagery really well to stay as a PG13, but still be disturbing... It's Medievel Europe. It's filled with Pagan imagery, + witchcraft. It's very arty in its look + framing. And it's not afraid to go to the dark edges of Grimm's fairytales. Not surprised it's bombing with audiences, but we were blown away by it. "The Witch For Teenagers"? 

Parasite - just as good second time around. 

• Like 1

Parasite in Black & White is almost an entirely different film.  Wow.  Hope it's on the Blu-Ray or get a Blu-Ray release separately.  

• Like 2

Birds of Prey .... Harley Quinn - utter bubblegum. 

It showed off the character well, the fights were over the top + well choreographed, there were laughs, but in the end, it's just utterly forgettable + just another super hero film... Which is fine. But I never need to see this again. 

• Like 1

Pretty much sums up my Harley thoughts. Did not need to have Birds of Prey in the name or be rated R either,

On 2/12/2020 at 3:27 AM, Whooter said:

Parasite in Black & White is almost an entirely different film.  Wow.  Hope it's on the Blu-Ray or get a Blu-Ray release separately.  

The UK Blu-ray in June is definitely going to include both versions. I would be very surprised if Criterion’s eventual release didn’t.

• Like 1

What Happened to Monday (netflix) - This is a really good,  violent, mysterious,  and tense movie set a dystopian future with a 1-child policy.  Has Glenn Close, and Willem Dafoe,  but Noomi Rapace stars and is excellent.

I give it 4 out of 5 Cases of the Mondays.

Carlos.

• Like 1

Sonic: Our family of 6 (kids ages 5-12) all enjoyed the movie. If you've seen the trailer, you probably already know exactly how the movie will go, but I don't think that's much of a spoiler to anyone.

Jim Carrey is brilliant Jim Carrey, and there's just enough of him, not too much. He got a few good laughs from me, and I tend to be a tough nut. 

You already know if you want to see this movie or not, trust your instinct. It's not great, it's not terrible, in fact there are far worse family movies you could endure.

Set expectations to middling, and bring a kid along if possible. If there's any chance you might not enjoy the movie, their laughs will remind you that your just being an old fogey. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 11:45 AM, Carlucci said:

What Happened to Monday (netflix) - This is a really good,  violent, mysterious,  and tense movie set a dystopian future with a 1-child policy.  Has Glenn Close, and Willem Dafoe,  but Noomi Rapace stars and is excellent.

I give it 4 out of 5 Cases of the Mondays.

Carlos.

Finally someone else has watched this. I mentioned this way back when it came out,

• Like 1