LCVG

Tetris 99 — The Battle Royale Tetris (Switch)

JFo

Hard to believe there wasn’t a thread about this game yet.

While I’ve been home on vacation over the holidays, I finally decided to dive into the ultimate Battle Royale Tetris game that I’ve heard so much about. I don’t typically do online multiplayer games, but I’ve been enjoying the hell out of Tetris Effect on PS4 all throughout 2019, and wanted to play a variation of it.

Amazingly, I think I actually really like it? I’ve been playing it nearly non-stop ever since I started a few days ago. I have yet to win a round, but I did manage to get second in one match. I might have won too if I hadn’t panicked and fucked up. I love the fact that once you’re knocked out of a match, you can immediately jump into another and keep playing. And since you don’t have listen to any asshat jerk-offs talking, it feels less like you’re playing with other people and more like you’re playing with really good bots.

That said, I was surprised to discover that my biggest enemy in this game is the Switch Pro Controller’s crappy D-pad. I can’t tell you how many times it’s screwed me over. I’ll be moving a Tetromino left or right, and because my thumb just ever so slightly presses the upper part left or right buttons, the game thinks I want to instantly drop a piece, and SLAM! It lands in the absolute worst place imaginable. Worse, I may drop several pieces like this because I don’t realize I’m doing it until a second or two later. I’ve gotten better at not doing this, but I feel like I have to be extra careful about how I press the button, which slows me down. And in a game where completing lines quickly is paramount, that makes it harder to win.

Still, this is a very good game, and it’s been fun listening to my oldest boy hum the Tetris theme the past couple days because of it.

• 2 months later...

I'm working from home today and decided to sneak in a quick round of Tetris 99 during my afternoon break. Then, this happened:

2053830843_TetrisMaximus.thumb.jpg.68cee425323ae2af68eca099f670b3b1.jpg

First time every, baby!

Oh, and I've decided that I much prefer playing this game in handheld mode with the Joycons. The isolated buttons of the D-pad mean that I accidentally drop a piece in the wrong spot much less often due to a faulty input. I think if I had tried to use the Pro Controller during this match, I wouldn't have won it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2020 at 7:01 PM, JFo said:

That said, I was surprised to discover that my biggest enemy in this game is the Switch Pro Controller’s crappy D-pad. I can’t tell you how many times it’s screwed me over. I’ll be moving a Tetromino left or right, and because my thumb just ever so slightly presses the upper part left or right buttons, the game thinks I want to instantly drop a piece, and SLAM! It lands in the absolute worst place imaginable. Worse, I may drop several pieces like this because I don’t realize I’m doing it until a second or two later. I’ve gotten better at not doing this, but I feel like I have to be extra careful about how I press the button, which slows me down. And in a game where completing lines quickly is paramount, that makes it harder to win.

Remember, kids, always look in the Options menu. You never know what you might find.

2020041319112900-691C9B2C6D1F1E032DDC01FD026159FD.thumb.jpg.082aec452ab475570c13e466cb6ce36f.jpg

2020041319113200-691C9B2C6D1F1E032DDC01FD026159FD.thumb.jpg.a7c34d91349f61c287f972f31e42dcdd.jpg

And yes, once I changed this setting, I stopped having unintentional drops while playing the game.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Somewhat off topic, but the newest Tetris mobile app has a Battle Royal mode too (different than Tetris 99). They also have a daily competition where you can win cash prizes, and it is completely free to play and you don’t have to be one of the best to win. 

My wife won $25 in it last week. I play occasionally, even though I’m terrible. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2020 at 8:30 AM, Graeme said:

Somewhat off topic, but the newest Tetris mobile app has a Battle Royal mode too (different than Tetris 99). They also have a daily competition where you can win cash prizes, and it is completely free to play and you don’t have to be one of the best to win. 

My wife won $25 in it last week. I play occasionally, even though I’m terrible. 

I played the Tetris mobile app for a few weeks. It's very well done but I could never get used to the touch controls.

2 hours ago, MastaRedSnappa said:

I played the Tetris mobile app for a few weeks. It's very well done but I could never get used to the touch controls.

That is my problem too (although, I’m just not that great at Tetris to begin with). There was a guy in our area that was routinely in the top 3 worldwide. I found his Twitch stream and he was playing on a Chromebook using a keyboard.

He’s dropped down the rankings recently, so I wonder if they’ve put a stop to that. 

Back on topic, I got my wife to try Tetris 99 and she did not like it. 

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...