LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
foogledricks

LCVG Coronavirus Temperature Check

7 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

I've been disappointed.  I figured these companies, especially Google, would announce amazing data-driven technology that blew our minds related to this crisis.

I've been expecting something too. I'm hoping the lack of action may signal that they are working out the multitudes of privacy concerns, and/or are working with the feds to prepare a coherent message about how it could work. Ideally, those three companies and perhaps Amazon could actually get their data together into a super-pool.

• Like 1

As soon as the lockdown started, I've been thinking of the photographic possibilities, shooting a major ubran center without people. This person took their drone out to film the (almost) empty streets of SF:

• Like 4

Minnesota just got the order from Gov. Walz to stay home, staring midnight Friday. The order lasts for two weeks and is intended to buy the state critical time needed to increase capacity at ICUs. He says that 40-80% of Minnesotans will contract COVID-19 over the next few months. This stay-at-home order doesn’t stop the spread of it — it only slows it down. The goal is to ensure that everyone who needs a hospital bed and ventilator can get one over the next few months.

Bars and restaurants have been closed just over a week already. We’ve also had restrictions on large gatherings. Those things have helped buy some time, but it sounds like they need a little bit more. Had we not done anything, we would have reached peak ICU capacity in about 6 weeks (end of April) with the peak outbreak at around 9 weeks. So there would have been three weeks where there weren’t enough beds or ventilators to go around resulting in many deaths as a result. This is what has been happening in Italy these past few weeks. Obviously, we don’t want to go there.

With this current plan, they hope to push out the peak of the infections out to to about 14 weeks (if I remember correctly), with current ICU capacity being reached at around 11 weeks. Like I said though, they want to use this extra time to increase ICU capacity to accomodate the surge they expect to see in the coming months. The most shocking thing to me from the governor’s presentation today was that there were a total of 235 ICU beds available in the entire state. The. Entire. State. He even confirmed that that number was not a typo. That’s all we have right now. 235 beds. The goal is to get that number up to 1,000. Hopefully, that will be enough.

I believe I said this earlier in the thread, but the senior leadership team at my company sounds optimistic that we  might be deemed “essential” and allowed to remain open the next two weeks. We supply products and services to a lot of other “essential” industries around the country (and the world) such as oil and gas, pharmaceutical manufacturing, paper products, food and beverage, and so on. At this moment, I’m still waiting to receive confirmation that this is indeed the case. I’m guessing we’ll receive a memo later this afternoon.

As for my wife, she works in the health care industry as a CT Tech at a heart clinic. I imagine her employer will be considered exempt as well, but again, I’ll have to wait for her to confirm with her boss.

Today’s order also extends school closures until Star Wars Day (May 4th), so we’re going to have to figure out how to do this distance learning thing with our 8 year-old. FUN!

Meditation Center Yourself GIF by Jasmine Thompson

1 hour ago, rustyjaw said:

As soon as the lockdown started, I've been thinking of the photographic possibilities, shooting a major ubran center without people. This person took their drone out to film the (almost) empty streets of SF:

I'm really tempted to head into central London with the camera, which is a five and a half mile walk for me but a walk I often do on a regular day, but I'm honestly not sure just how strictly they are policing people and why they might be out of their homes. It's really something I am itching to document though. Half of Soho is boarded up. Even locally seeing so few people and cars on the road feels like a Twilight Zone episode.

They're rolling out antibody tests throughout the UK in the coming weeks, first to medical staff but then to public (they will be home testing kits). I'd be keen to know if I've actually had it in some form or not as if I have I'd be eager to get out there to work and volunteer to help where I can. 

• Like 1

PA added almost 300 cases overnight. :(

Almost at 1200 cases now and rising. We aren't likely to see peak here for a few more weeks which is going to suck. Thankfully our fatality rate is extremely low at only 11 right now. 

Yes, I don’t think we’ll be hearing about hitting peak rates of infection until we’re into May sadly (and that’s if we’re lucky).

To date, this is the most grim spectre of things to come in the UK:

And if you’re wondering, yes that’s where Bale’s Batman test drove the Tumbler/Batmobile in Batman Begins. 

We’re seeing a growing number of deaths amongst those under 40 with no underlying conditions here which is alarming to say the least.

I am glad I 1)I am still considered essential so I have a job and 2)May start working from home next week.

• Like 2

Frisco, TX, where I live officially declared lockdown yesterday, with fines of up to $1000 - we've already been home for about 2 weeks anyway.

I've been working from home for about 7 years now - so not a lot of change for me personally - but my family is starting to show signs of discontent :)

4 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

I am glad I 1)I am still considered essential so I have a job and 2)May start working from home next week.

I hope that happens, Joey. ASAP. I hate to think of anyone here still having to go out to work. 

How are online food deliveries looking for you guys? There’s quite a backlog here for bookings but I am hoping it will ease as more support is put into place. I’d like to start using Amazon Fresh if they finally show some available slots.

2 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I hope that happens, Joey. ASAP. I hate to think of anyone here still having to go out to work. 

How are online food deliveries looking for you guys? There’s quite a backlog here for bookings but I am hoping it will ease as more support is put into place. I’d like to start using Amazon Fresh if they finally show some available slots.

The previous to past Sunday (the 15th) I managed to get a window for the 18th - by the time they where putting my order together they didn't have the milk, chicken and eggs on my cart so they got removed - still got some other groceries.

I am essential, and as a nursing home supplier, will remain so indefinitely.  Our supply chain is getting caught up at least and orders are getting more fulfilled. However, I also get to live with the added stress that if I get it and spread it into one of the 13 homes we supply that their residents could be decimated. That stress has led me to manually adjust my BP medicine which quite honestly was borderline dangerous over the weekend. I feel like I’m being pulled in a hundred different directions. My immune system has always been strong which makes me feel like I’d be one of the silent carriers and spread it everywhere. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

amazon fresh is booked solid here. We live so close to a bunch of supermarkets, we go first thing in the morning, and get out quick. 

21 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I am essential, and as a nursing home supplier, will remain so indefinitely.  Our supply chain is getting caught up at least and orders are getting more fulfilled. However, I also get to live with the added stress that if I get it and spread it into one of the 13 homes we supply that their residents could be decimated. That stress has led me to manually adjust my BP medicine which quite honestly was borderline dangerous over the weekend. I feel like I’m being pulled in a hundred different directions. My immune system has always been strong which makes me feel like I’d be one of the silent carriers and spread it everywhere. 

Are you in a position where you have direct contact with the residents at those homes? 

1 minute ago, Angry the Clown said:

Are you in a position where you have direct contact with the residents at those homes? 

Thankfully no. I’m still paranoid about it. I still interact minimally with staff. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

amazon fresh is booked solid here. We live so close to a bunch of supermarkets, we go first thing in the morning, and get out quick. 

Mmm. Right now I cut my shops down to once a week and I ration my food (I cook up one main meal a day, then have a fruit snack).

The better available stock becomes the more I can get at one time and consequently the longer I can go without having to go out again. I’d like to think that either online ordering will become more reliable here soon, or that at the very least (as I saw today) stock will be plentiful and customers in store limited, allowing me to get fresh fruit and vegetables. I really hope to see canned tomatoes and tomato paste next week as I only have one to hand and I want to prep more curry and pasta sauces.   

6 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Thankfully no. I’m still paranoid about it. I still interact minimally with staff. 

Certainly try to take some comfort in that at least. I’m assuming you take measures when handling the goods you supply so you’re surely in as good a position as you can be to mitigate risk.

Made a run to my local grocery store this afternoon. Haven't been there since I returned home from Joshua Tree. I went mid-day, mid-week hoping I could get in without waiting, but nope, there was a line 2 blocks long at 2pm. The line was exaggerated in length since everyone was literally keeping healthy distance. They were letting people into the store in about groups of 15, as they had store employees outside watching people leave. I waited about 1/2 hour, as I neared the entrance, a store employee approached people with boxes of clear gloves (two sizes!). I wasn't expecting that, but I sure as hell took a pair. It's the first time I've been in an indoor public space since the lockdown...and I was surprised at my anxiety level. I was quickly angered by people crowding around bottleneck areas, although in normal circumstances, they weren't really crowding at all.

In other news, I heard from a friend (who works for the state) that unemployment claims in California have topped 1 million. So fucking grateful to have a job right now. 

• Like 1

Starting today, we've implemented a Split-Team plan.  Our shift has been divided in two, with one half working in the office and the other half working from home, switching every week.  I'm in the Work at the Office group this week, along with two other people.  When I leave on Saturday (my last day for the week) I won't be back in the office until April 8th.

Should be interesting.

First time I am seeing delivery slots for Amazon Fresh for my location in London (a good number of Friday slots are open), so hopefully things keep improving and I can use them for my shop next week. 

• Like 1

Still holed up at home, and thankfully work is still a good distraction from all of this.  It's basically still business as usual for us (just with everyone remote), although things have been busy.  Being in the Contact Center space, we've had a lot of customers (mostly bank and government) scaling up and going remote, so the past few weeks have been stretching our cloud environment even further.  My wife is in automation, and a good part of their business is medical, so they're also doing OK for now.  Very glad to be in something that's going to make it through this, because a lot of people are going to be hurting. 

Haven't ventured out of the house since...Friday?  I have a grocery pickup scheduled tomorrow morning, but I think I'll have to venture out to get milk today at least.  Kids are definitely getting restless though...  At least they're not too far in?  My oldest is in grade 6, so if she loses the rest of the year at least her whole class next year is going to be in the same position?  The younger one is only in grade 2, so not near as much that's foundational, but it still means that he doesn't have anyone else to interact with besides us and his sister. 

1 minute ago, foogledricks said:

WGBH radio/tv wants to have my daughter on their show to discuss her music video and generally how she, a teenager, is handling the isolation. She'll be recording a segment later today for broadcast tomorrow.

That’s terrific

Frisco, TX, where I live officially declared lockdown yesterday, with fines of up to $1000

We've mentioned this before, I live one city over. I've been pretty appalled at how long it took Denton & Collin counties to respond. Then I notice others on this board who reside in areas where the response has been even slower. Given the examples we have right in front of our face; Italy, Spain, and now NY...it's abhorrent to not be taking aggressive steps to position your community ahead of the game at his point.

@Carlucci brought up the moral plays government leaders have before them. Choosing the economy over lives is not even a question. Leaders protecting their economy are short term thinkers willing to risk lives to protect their power. I would argue most leadership is ensuring a very wide berth between themselves and any question of morality. Talk enough to make yourself appear topical but keep it laissez-faire to avoid anything meaningful and you'll be able to spin results in the end.

3 minutes ago, Camp said:

We've mentioned this before, I live one city over. I've been pretty appalled at how long it took Denton & Collin counties to respond. Then I notice others on this board who reside in areas where the response has been even slower. Given the examples we have right in front of our face; Italy, Spain, and now NY...it's abhorrent to not be taking aggressive steps to position your community ahead of the game at his point.

@Carlucci brought up the moral plays government leaders have before them. Choosing the economy over lives is not even a question. Leaders protecting their economy are short term thinkers willing to risk lives to protect their power. I would argue most leadership is ensuring a very wide berth between themselves and any question of morality. Talk enough to make yourself appear topical but keep it laissez-faire to avoid anything meaningful and you'll be able to spin results in the end.

Yes a few days earlier, The mayor of Frisco, had declared that keeping all businesses open was fine. Then the Collin county judge stay at home order did not define what "essential" activities and businesses where, so finally Frisco adopted the Denton county definitions. It's all a big slow shit show. The skate park (we live by it) is supposed to be closed now but there was tons of people there yesterday - from my home office window I see the trails around our home, lots of families out but I see nobody is following the 2m/6feet distancing guideline as they cross each other. 

• Like 1