LCVG
foogledricks

LCVG Coronavirus Temperature Check

1 hour ago, JoeyN said:

As in you have not gone out the door, or off your property? You can go outside for some air ūüėÄ

That I do.  I step out on my back patio regularly for some fresh air and sunlight. 

4 hours ago, kelley said:

Carlos - I actually got in my car Sunday and just drove around the neighborhood. It was oddly satisfying. 

I may have to do that.  My wife takes care of the groceries and my daughter picks up restaurant orders, so I just haven't had the need.  A short pleasure drive through the neighborhood sounds like a good idea.  

Carlos.

I'm out and about every day except for the weekends.  I'm in the office right now and I'll be on the road most of the rest of the day.  But I never go anywhere I don't HAVE to go.  And I'll tell you what, people are being downright assholes on the highway.  I don't drive slow, but I also try not to be too much of a dick.  Yesterday I had five people on my way in to work refuse to let me pass.  Nevermind the fact that the only reason I caught up with them was because cruise control was set.  They just magically decided to speed up as soon as I caught up with them.  And another guy downright refused to let anyone pass him in his POS Pontiac.  So much so that after I and the dude behind me caught up to him, once again with CC set, he just floored it.  Him and the guy behind me went racing on up the highway probably pushing well over 100.  I was perfectly fine with my 80 MPH's in my little old Ford Fiesta.

• Like 1

Checking in from my Brooklyn bubble. Thankfully I am working from home, which is sort of my natural state. I'm lucky enough to have a nice home office with a door and a home with a lot of windows, so I'm staying sane.

Also a grocery store on the block is stocking very well. All things considered, doing ok. Family fine, too.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I'm out and about every day except for the weekends.  I'm in the office right now and I'll be on the road most of the rest of the day.  But I never go anywhere I don't HAVE to go.

Same; I need to go in regularly.

Huge difference, though? Everyone I run into is very nice. But I don't spend much time on the highways -- I live 5 minutes from work.

I strongly recommend Webex, Zoom or whatever for regular virtual happy hours. It's nice to see other people. I usually have a couple trivia cards from a boardgame like Wits & Wagers and throw in a question here and there to spark discussion and arguments. I usually start off by showing me making a cocktail and explaining what I'm doing.

BTW, you can share your screen with these apps. Which means you can d/l The Jackbox Party Pack on Steam and your remote friends can join view room code on their cell phones. I haven't tried it yet, but I will soon.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

And I'll tell you what, people are being downright assholes on the highway. 

Mad Max era precursors confirmed. 

I read somewhere that accidental deaths, particularly auto deaths are down, so much so that the  2020 overall death rate in the country may actually be slightly lower this year than past years.  Of course that won't hold up. But it will be interesting to see the rate of births, alcoholism, domestic violence, divorces, and so many other side effects, good and bad, after this is all over.

Carlos.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Just got word from the school board that next week they're planning on launching something to be able to deliver some soft of content to kids.  No idea what form that's going to take, but they sent around some questions about access to tech/internet, so can make some assumptions there.  I have no idea how much of this is/can be mandatory or evaluated though, and I don't think they do either.  Everyone is in uncharted waters here.  The biggest challenge for us is going to be supervision-both of us are working from home, and it's tricky enough to have to break up fights, make sure they eat something, and at least pay some attention to the kids through the day.  Now if it gets to the point where we have to make sure they're paying attention to internet school?  That's...going to be interesting.  Anyone else gotten to the point where they're trying to do remote school?

Otherwise...just staying home...

My daughter (5th grade) has been working from home since her school was canceled 2 weeks ago. The district was already conducting surveys about internet use, etc. in February. Remote teaching began immediately. Her class does 1-2 large scale (full class) Zoom video meetings per week that run about 2 hours. Kids get daily assignments posted by teachers on Google Classroom. The kids log in, perform the classwork, and teachers can grade from there. Work is privately shared with parents via a service called Seesaw and all daily slides/coursework is also published ahead of time on a Facebook group.

It's been so well organized that my daughter looks forward to her virtual school each morning. She was bummed over the weekend when there were no new assignments. We've been very lucky to have a proactive district and teachers who are dedicated to their students.

53 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I was perfectly fine with my 80 MPH's in my little old Ford Fiesta.

So you were the Ford Fiesta piece of shit slowing down the highway.

• Haha 1

CDC denied the change in mask guidance but its coming. Just a matter of time.

I ran out of A/C filters and decided to make a trip to Lowes. The parking lot was absolutely packed for a Monday afternoon. Upon entering it was nice to see they had a clerk spraying down the handles on each shopping cart.

I get to the filter aisle and there is another guy about 15 feet away from me. I grab the first filters in my size but continue looking just in case there are better options. The guy sneezes without any attempt at protection: No sneeze into the elbow, no hands to his face, not even a fucking, "excuse me". I was so shocked that I dropped the 3 filters I was holding and just stared at him. In my mind, I'm thinking, "This fucker deserves to get his ass beat." but I'm just frozen with disbelief and staring at him with no ability to act.

He stood there equally awkward, likely thinking similar thoughts about me for judging him. After a few seconds that felt like minutes, he turns the other way and exits the aisle.

I'll likely rethink future needs for unnecessary supplies.

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Robot Monkey said:

BTW, you can share your screen with these apps. Which means you can d/l The Jackbox Party Pack on Steam and your remote friends can join view room code on their cell phones. I haven't tried it yet, but I will soon.

I've done this a few times already with work people via Teams, and it's been fun.  Only challenge there is that the screen share really isn't built for that kind of sharing, so the encoding is pretty stressful.  I've got an i7 laptop, and it's still hitting really high CPU usage.  I should probably pick up the other packs.

16 minutes ago, Camp said:

My daughter (5th grade) has been working from home since her school was canceled 2 weeks ago. The district was already conducting surveys about internet use, etc. in February. Remote teaching began immediately. Her class does 1-2 large scale (full class) Zoom video meetings per week that run about 2 hours. Kids get daily assignments posted by teachers on Google Classroom. The kids log in, perform the classwork, and teachers can grade from there. Work is privately shared with parents via a service called Seesaw and all daily slides/coursework is also published ahead of time on a Facebook group.

Good to know-I figure they'll end up with something like this, but we'll see how they get there.  I'd kind of assumed they'd run a couple of large scale things, and maybe some 1:1 checkins, but I definitely think there's going to be a break-in period for people getting used to the tech.  I know our board has Google apps for the kids, so I'm assuming they'll standardize on Hangouts, but given that individual teachers have used different combinations of Google Classroom, Seesaw, classdojo, and probably a couple of other services over the years, I wouldn't be surprised to see things be a little more disjointed. 

Kids are grade 2 and 6, so there's not THAT much that's foundational that they won't be able to pick up if this all goes to hell...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

So you were the Ford Fiesta piece of shit slowing down the highway.

Maybe. But I’m the only with balls enough to do it passed state troopers. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Carlucci said:

My stir-crazy confession:

I've been working in my media room, keeping the volume very low, with a card table setup with my laptop on a stand and and external keyboard, monitor.  I kept hearing a very slight clicking sound, like when you squish cellophane and it expands, but very sporadic, and spaced minutes apart. It was extremely hard to localize.  It was driving me crazy, and sometimes I heard it in my left ear, sometimes my right.  I thought it was like a static discharge.  I mostly heard it on the left side of the room. 

After ruling out anything in my computer setup, I was focused on my left surround speaker.  It's wall mounted, I thought maybe it's going bad.  I went through all the trouble of disabling it, still heard the tic sound.  I completely disconnected it, still heard it.  Then I thought a piece of cellophane had actually gotten in or between my recliners, so I detached them and gave a thorough cleaning.  I did find some candy wrappers, thought that was it.  Nope, still heard it.  

Started thinking insects in wall, started thinking my foundation is settling. Thought it was Jack Torrance's typewriter.  I would spend several minutes listening with the volume completely down, hear it for a few minutes, then nothing. Get bored, change the channel or music, hear it again for a few times, then nothing.  This has gone on for weeks!

Today I solved it.  Turns out it is my fucking Amazon FireTV remote. It's very squeaky, like the plastic isn't screwed together well enough.  It "settles" after you put it down, I guess contracting after the last time I used it, and maybe even contracting/expanding with the air-conditioning.  I mostly put it on my left hand side, but sometimes I put it on my right hand side.  

Damn, that was crazy.

Carlos.

This reminds me of the episode in Breaking Bad when he's trying to catch the fly.  Or the scene This is US recently when Randall is seeing the psychologist and he can't concentrate because of the coffee maker.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

This reminds me of the episode in Breaking Bad when he's trying to catch the fly.  Or the scene This is US recently when Randall is seeing the psychologist and he can't concentrate because of the coffee maker.

It was more like on Cast Away when Tom Hanks was yelling "What is that!!?" at the thumping sound at night.  (no spoilers as to what that was)  You feel both stupid and relieved when you finally figure it out.  

Carlos.

4 hours ago, Robot Monkey said:

I strongly recommend Webex, Zoom or whatever for regular virtual happy hours.

This! I set up a recurring virtual happy hour on Thursday with coworkers and last week's was a blast. 13 people sitting around having drinks and talking about anything but work. I talk to most of them all day every day via one form or another, but it was nice in a virtual non-work setting.

Also doing the same on Wednesdays with friends. It's really nice to see other people's faces after mainly only seeing my wife and dog on a daily basis. Not complaining about either face, but some variety is nice :)

I bought house shoes, my feet keep getting cold in my basement office so I bought a pair of house shoes.  Someone board up my door I don't think I deserve to ever go out again.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kelley said:

I bought house shoes, my feet keep getting cold in my basement office so I bought a pair of house shoes.  Someone board up my door I don't think I deserve to ever go out again.

I think the no-deodorant thing already qualifies you for that!

Seriously though, since you brought it up.  I have found out that I can live quite nicely on 1/4 of my previous deodorant use. I take showers at night, right before bed.  I used to put deodorant on right after the shower, but I have stopped doing that.  No stink overnight, just a little musk. They say a woman bonds to the natural scent of her man, and it would appear it's true, or at least non-detrimental to amour, and snuggling has increased. 

Then, in the morning, only 1 click of my Old Spice antiperspirant/deodorant instead of the recommended 3.  No stink all day.  

Carlos.

• Haha 2

I bought a Peloton in December, I'm so glad I have it now.  I start to feel the stress of the situation and I just go knock out 20 minutes on that thing and all is right with the world. I've lost 15 pounds in the past three weeks, between having more time for exercise, I'm also not going out to fancy lunches everyday with vendors.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, kelley said:

I've lost 15 pounds in the past three weeks, between having more time for exercise, I'm also not going out to fancy lunches everyday with vendors.

big kudos on that one.  I'm gaining like a mofo.  I have always been a stress eater.  Combine that with copious alcohol, food truck/fast food, and the real kicker - When my wife is bored, she bakes. A lot.  

They are saying most Americans will put on a "Quarantine 15."  I believe it.  

Carlos.

5 minutes ago, Carlucci said:

big kudos on that one.  I'm gaining like a mofo.  I have always been a stress eater.  Combine that with copious alcohol, food truck/fast food, and the real kicker - When my wife is bored, she bakes. A lot.  

They are saying most Americans will put on a "Quarantine 15."  I believe it.  

Carlos.

Ditto on all of this except the baking. I do get baked however. 

• Like 2

I’d bake if I could find any damn flour and yeast in the stores. Several supermarkets announced today they expect stock availability to return to normal levels over the next week, with much already having done so already, so hopefully I can find that stuff whenever I next get out.

At work we finally switched to a part work at home, part go to office schedule, so we can at least work regular hours again. 

I picked a strange time to come back. Sounds like everyone is doing alright.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, foogledricks said:

,... Or the scene This is US recently when Randall is seeing the psychologist and he can't concentrate because of the coffee maker.

You watch that show?

My wife loves it.

I call it, 'This is Us, Arguing'.

I can't take drama and fighting and human bullshit in real life, and I honestly cannot fathom how anyone can spend their down time watching fake life drama, fake life bitching and fake life fighting. I know a bunch of people watch this stuff, but I really cannot understand it at all. It's literally the opposite of what I want in my free relaxing time. 

I know, so much of entertainment is really just this soap opera BS. Figgen Marvel Universe is one huge running soap, I get it! But the no action, no comedy, slow moving, never resolving, ever revolving TV drama stuff does not compute on any level!

This also goes a bit beyond just disliking entrainment drama, my brain has always been wired with an aversion to fiction in general. I'd rather read an interesting non-fiction book over fiction, etc. Although I'd take a fiction book over TV soap by a country mile. 

I'm spilling this because I'm generally curious, anyone else feel similarly? 

And, no I'm not a robot. Toy Story 3,... that's all I'm saying. 

ūüė≠