LCVG

LCVG Coronavirus Temperature Check

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quick update on my family’s situation. Our youngest boy continues to have a mild fever in the low 99s. He seemed like he was on the upswing late-Thursday and all day Friday. His temp was normal the en

Just a quick update — the test for our older boy came back negative. Of course that just means that he didn’t have it on Friday when he got tested. Considering how much exposure he’s had to his little

Posted Images

On 4/15/2020 at 1:37 PM, rustyjaw said:

Once again, Ed Yong provides an insightful account of how we might move forward now that it seems we've reached the peak of the pandemic in the US and most of the world.

Highly disagree with just this portion. We haven't even begun to see the toll it's going to take in South America, Africa, India, etc.

3 hours ago, Romier S said:

Cuomo just announced an extension to May 15th in NY. I’m expecting PA to be right behind them considering NY, NJ, PA and CT are in that east coast pack of governors mapping out a reopening plan.

Similar to this, Wisconsin just pushed to May 26th today but also did some easing of restrictions on non-essential businesses, and there is now an emerging midwest block of MN, WI, MI, IN, KY, and IL. And there is already a growing rumble from our GOP legislature to legally fight this. The second wave here is going to be crazy if they get their way to throw the doors open quickly, all of the progress that has been made so far will utterly be wiped out and more. 

They're extending most stuff out by a couple weeks at a time here, so now I think schools are "supposed" to open on May 14.  Don't see that happening personally, but there's still hope, right?  I think the idea is to not cancel outright and then not have a way back if things happen to go better than expected, which is reasonable I suppose. 

2 hours ago, secretvampire said:

Highly disagree with just this portion. We haven't even begun to see the toll it's going to take in South America, Africa, India, etc.

Yes, you're correct, in terms of the number of people potentially affected which is what counts. Note that I added that bit in, that's not in the article (as far as I recall)

No Shit, its like they should have listened

"The bump in coronavirus cases is most pronounced in states without stay at home orders. Oklahoma saw a 53% increase in cases over the past week, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Over same time, cases jumped 60% in Arkansas, 74% in Nebraska, and 82% in Iowa. South Dakota saw a whopping 205% spike."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/politics/republican-governors-stay-at-home-coronavirus/index.html

😔

Meanwhile health staff continue to face a shortage of protective clothing. Staff are still dying as a consequence and there are threats of walkouts if they continue to be left with shortages.

The government also seems to have ignored smaller companies willing and able to make PPE and ventilation equipment in favour of turning to well know brands and large businesses who also happen to have been party donors. The textile companies are instead sensing whatever they manufacture to other European countries.

The ventilation issue is becoming a mini scandal in its own right as explained in this Twitter thread:

Meanwhile there are claims the government only went for a lockdown due to public pressure...

...which certainly adds up given the initial herd immunity approach they flirted with pursuing (while now trying to pretend they didn’t), and that many establishments/businesses were taking the decision to close several days before the government told them to. It would also help explain why the government also cannot give any indication as to how they plan to ease lockdowns at this time.

There’s going to have to be a public inquiry into all this next year to fully unravel how badly this has been mishandled in the UK. Amazingly even some Conservative backbenchers are supporting calls for one.

18 hours ago, JoeyN said:

No Shit, its like they should have listened

"The bump in coronavirus cases is most pronounced in states without stay at home orders. Oklahoma saw a 53% increase in cases over the past week, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Over same time, cases jumped 60% in Arkansas, 74% in Nebraska, and 82% in Iowa. South Dakota saw a whopping 205% spike."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/politics/republican-governors-stay-at-home-coronavirus/index.html

Yeah, I’ve been watching the numbers for North Dakota, South Dakota, and Iowa closely the last few days since all three border Minnesota. Iowa has roughly half the population we do, but in recent days blew past us in terms of total confirmed cases. South Dakota has about a sixth of our total population, but they already have 68 percent of the total number of confirmed cases as we do, and they’re slowly catching up. North Dakota’s numbers remain relatively low so far, but I think they still have a higher case count per capita than we do here. It won’t take much for them to catch up, given the right circumstances and the fact that their governor refuses to issue a stay-at-home order.

17 hours ago, Whooter said:

My home state fills me with shame.  it is run by Dollar-Store Lex Luthor, Pete Ricketts, who is a giant bald pile of shit.  We went to high school together for two years, staining that memory for me.  Fuck him.

Yes, fuck him. My mom and dad own a condo down in Branson, and they’ve been stuck there for the past several months trying to complete a remodeling project. They finally came back home this past week, and I’m relieved they did. I think they will be safer up here than they were down there. They’re both in their 70s, so the obviously fall into the high-risk category Thankfully, they have been staying in, only going out to the store once a week to pick up what they need and taking walks in areas where there aren’t a lot of people. They’ve remained healthy so far, so that’s good. I just hope the jackasses lobbying  to reopen the state too soon don’t get their way. We’ve continued to slow the spread of the virus pretty well here and not overwhelm our hospitals, but it wouldn’t take much for things to get out of control too quickly if we let up our guard.

This type of story is so frustrating! It's like I can see both sides, and simply using level heads would have avoided escalation.

https://reason.com/2020/04/17/a-teenager-posted-about-her-covid-19-infection-on-instagram-a-deputy-threatened-to-arrest-her-if-she-didnt-delete-it/

The police should have recognized that there is a conflict between fears of disinformation, and stifling freedom of free speech.

They simply could have explained the issues within the community around the posts, and politely worked out for the family to post (or possibly a co-posting with the police, the town or the school department) with a detailed account. One which would be very clear about all of the details from the medical professionals, and the concerns, and understanding of the uncertainties of the whole situation.

It's important that the community knows the facts, and it's ridiculous that they would think stifling her free speech is the best way to quell concerns within the community.  This behavior is likely to only further discontent, disinformation, conspiracy and conflict.

It's so frustrating when there aren't cool-headed clear thinking heads making important decisions. My solution my or may not be the correct path, but there certainly is a more intelligent choice than what escalated in this case. Escalated is an important word choice here, because it took a number of poor choices for the situation to get to this point.

A number of police here in the UK similarly seem to have a very weak grasp on what distinguishes new rules in the current climate, and actual law. There have consequently been many bizarre and intimidating confrontations between police and members of the public with some regional police departments tweeting about checking people are only buying essential food items when grocery shopping, to others claiming that walking is not a valid form of exercise! Governments and their police forces really all need to be singing from the same hmyn sheet, because people turning on the police (and vice versa) is the last thing we all need.

4 hours ago, JTello said:

The police should have recognized that there is a conflict between fears of disinformation, and stifling freedom of free speech.

Old clichès like "If you give them an inch, they take a foot" exist for a reason. Power loves to descend into tyranny when circumstances allow for it. When there is an imbalance due to an emergency, the unwise prey on the uninformed.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."  -- Ronald Reagan.

Carlos. 

41 minutes ago, Camp said:

Yet another fucktard leveraging these times to get his name in the news.

image.png.7663f38e33c77724fa39340e36484901.png

First of all, everyone is pointing fingers at everyone for not doing better. Whether people are criticizing state leadership, Trump, China, Italy, WHO, mainstream media... whomever, even if the criticisms are reasonable and right, it all smells of political opportunism and I can't stand that smell.

But also, isn't it a bit of hyperbole to blame anyone, China or anyone else for the general death and economic devastation? From what I can tell, this virus and its spread is completely out of control. We can slow it, but we can't stop it. Could China really have done anything to STOP it? Could anyone?

The only exception being if this was a bio-weapons blunder by someone. In that unlikely case, yeah, totally their fault.