LCVG
foogledricks

LCVG Coronavirus Temperature Check

2 hours ago, foogledricks said:

Well that was fucking amazingly awesome.

Omg that was awesome.

Getting back to the topic at hand, We’ve had some big news out of Minnesota this past week.

School

Classes have been cancelled for the remainder of the academic year. Students will continue to utilize distance learning during that time. This isn’t really a big surprise to anyone. The Gov. Walz has been hinting at this for the past couple weeks. He just finally made it official yesterday. Also, classes have been cancelled pretty much everywhere else, 

Testing

Earlier in the week, Gov. Walz announced a partnership with the University of Minnesota and Mayo Clinic to ramp up testing for COVID-19 here in the state — the “Minnesota Moonshot” as he calls it. We’ve averaged between 1,000 and 1,500 tests per day here, but in the coming weeks that’s going to rise dramatically. Word is they’ll have the capacity to run as many as 20,000 tests per day. We’ve already started to see that number increase. Yesterday and today they reported over 2,200 new tests, and I expect that number to climb even more. It will be good that doctors can finally start testing everyone who is symptomatic and not just the ones knocking death’s doorstep.

Of course, with increased testing comes an increase in confirmed cases. Yesterday and today saw the total confirmed case count rise by more than 200. Previously, the highest increase was 194 on Easter weekend, but that was only because Saturday’s numbers included some cases that normally wouldn’t have been reported until the next day. 

Minnesota has been doing pretty well as far as our total confirmed case numbers go. We’ve had the lowest number of cases per capita in the nation for a while, but if we really do start testing more, we’re obviously going to start seeing how much of our community has been infected by this virus. My guess is that number is going to shoot up — way up. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, of course. It’s just going to take some time to get used to.

The good news is that social distancing has helped keep the number of people in hospitals and ICU beds relatively low. We haven’t run out of either yet, but the numbers continue to climb. The state has been using this extra time to build up capacity for a surge early this summer. Let’s hope we can give them enough time to get everything they need to care for everyone needs it.

Economy

The Governor also ordered that some non-essential businesses can get back to work starting next week. This includes factories and offices that do not have any direct customer-facing components to them. That means as many as 100K people can get back to work. A lot of people from a particular political party have been pushing to reopen the economy sooner rather than later, but it sounds like we are going to do it a little bit at a time to ensure that the case count doesn’t rise too rapidly and overwhelm our hospitals. He equated it to a dial that will be turned up slowly over time. Sadly, the things that we all want to reopen the most — the ones that include venues for large crowds — will likely be the last things to reopen.

For the time being, the stay-at-home order is set to expire May 4. That has not changed yet. Hopefully, he doesn’t have to extend it, but he has said that is ready and will to tighten restrictions again if it results in a sudden surge in cases.

• Like 1

One of my employees today casually mentioned to me that he thinks I had COVID-19 back in January. I had a cough that for two weeks just would not go away and then I thought it was gone only to come back strong. There was a couple of days where I didn’t feel like getting out of bed. I had been in California for work a couple weeks prior. Wish I could get an antibody test. 

24 minutes ago, kelley said:

One of my employees today casually mentioned to me that he thinks I had COVID-19 back in January. I had a cough that for two weeks just would not go away and then I thought it was gone only to come back strong. There was a couple of days where I didn’t feel like getting out of bed. I had been in California for work a couple weeks prior. Wish I could get an antibody test. 

Not sure where you live, but National Jewish in Denver is offering them for $94

https://www.nationaljewish.org/patients-visitors/patient-info/important-updates/coronavirus-information-and-resources/patient-care/covid-19-testing-antibody-diagnostic

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kelley said:

My money’s on you didn’t have it, but that’s the real bitch of it — you can’t know for certain. The severity of the symptoms are all over the place with this thing, so there’s no way to know if it’s the real deal, or just a minor chest cold. Until the testing ramps up, we won’t know how widespread this thing really is.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JFo said:

My money’s on you didn’t have it, but that’s the real bitch of it — you can’t know for certain. The severity of the symptoms are all over the place with this thing, so there’s no way to know if it’s the real deal, or just a minor chest cold. Until the testing ramps up, we won’t know how widespread this thing really is.

I had the exact same symptoms in January, 

2019.  Negative for flu and strep, but it lasted for weeks, and after that, any amount of laughter was then followed by a bout of coughing, for a month. If that had happened this year I would feel certain that it had been Coronavirus too.  

Carlos. 

We are now past 20,000 recorded hospital deaths in the UK, the figure chief scientists here several weeks ago said "we'd have done well" if we could stay below. The number does not include deaths in care homes, or in anyone's own personal home, so realistically we're probably past 30k here, perhaps even 40. 😞 There's still no explanation from the government about how they might plan to ease lockdown when the time should come, nor any move to require people wear face masks if in close proximity amongst others in small spaces (i.e on public transport or in a store...etc. I've seen more and more people adopting them voluntarily however).

There does seem to be some evidence building of people beginning to push back against the lockdown rules. Apparently more cars have been tracked on the roads in the last couple of days. I'm not really seeing many more people out when I go for my walks, and most people seem to still be doing their best to adhere to distancing when buying food. It's quite striking how much better London's air quality is right now.

1 hour ago, Carlucci said:

I had the exact same symptoms in January, 

2019.  Negative for flu and strep, but it lasted for weeks, and after that, any amount of laughter was then followed by a bout of coughing, for a month. If that had happened this year I would feel certain that it had been Coronavirus too.  

Here’s the thing I didn’t to mention in my post above: my wife and I both came down with bad chest colds around the same time. We both got sick sometime mid-February and we both suffered from coughs for weeks. My wife’s cough lasted through the month of March. It wasn’t until she went to the doctor and got an inhaler with some prescription meds in it that it finally started getting better. Do I think we both caught COVID-19? No. Unless new evidence shows the disease was in our area at that time, I wouldn’t expect to have gotten it. 

Maybe Kelley did get it while he was in California, but we don’t have any reported cases there in January yet, if it was there and at that point, it likely wasn’t widespread yet, so the odds of him catching it would be — I’d expect — fairly low.

I do know a couple who I think likely had it. They own a condo in Florida, where they stayed through most of March. Both of them got really sick with COVID-19-like symptoms: bad cough, high fever, severe fatigue. It took both of them a couple weeks to recover, but they did, thankfully. Due to testing restrictions they never got tested, so we don’t know for sure they had it. I would really like for them to go the antibody test to see if they did.

Quick update on our numbers in Minnesota today: We had a new daily high in total new cases (261), new fatalities (23), and tests administered (2,810). Apparently there was an outbreak at a poultry plant, which contributed to the increase. It’s definitely looking like this virus loves both  food processing plants and long-term care residences, the later of which has accounted for most of the deaths in our state.

8 hours ago, King of All Cosmos said:

The backlash to entertainers trying to be entertaining, during the lock-down, can be thrown into the pot with all the other bullshit self-righteous outrage that is trendy these days. However, when you make it funny, it goes down much easier. Because it says that you're not taking it, and yourselves, too seriously. And so "Thank You internet celebrities for making fun of non-internet celebrities for being celebrities."

The only thing (not government related) that has really gotten on my nerves during the lock down:

TV shows with people fucking singing at home through their shit laptop camera, lighting, and audio setup.

My wife leaves Good Morning America (maybe it's the Today Show -I don't fucking know) on as background noise and pretty much all they can do is fill air time with semi-celebrities or random nobodies entertaining no one with shit performances delivered in the worst possible way.  Apparently, they move back and forth to the local affiliate who also feels the need to infect the airwaves (& internet connections) with an even lower grade of hometown performances.

I don't watch late night talk shows but I can't imagine how bad they must be given their reliance on music. I'd probably go batshit after a single episode.

16 minutes ago, Camp said:

The only thing (not government related) that has really gotten on my nerves during the lock down:

TV shows with people fucking singing at home through their shit laptop camera, lighting, and audio setup.

My wife leaves Good Morning America (maybe it's the Today Show -I don't fucking know) on as background noise and pretty much all they can do is fill air time with semi-celebrities or random nobodies entertaining no one with shit performances delivered in the worst possible way.  Apparently, they move back and forth to the local affiliate who also feels the need to infect the airwaves (& internet connections) with an even lower grade of hometown performances.

I don't watch late night talk shows but I can't imagine how bad they must be given their reliance on music. I'd probably go batshit after a single episode.

I would make an exception for John Krasinski getting the cast of Hamilton to sing for the little girl who couldn't go to the show due to the lockdown closures and cancelations. It may well be to blame for networks trying to re-create their own moment like this. I don't know (I assumed that cringeworthy celebrity rendition of 'Imagine' is in fact to blame). 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 6:50 AM, foogledricks said:

The backlash to entertainers trying to be entertaining, during the lock-down, can be thrown into the pot with all the other bullshit self-righteous outrage that is trendy these days. However, when you make it funny, it goes down much easier. Because it says that you're not taking it, and yourselves, too seriously. And so "Thank You internet celebrities for making fun of non-internet celebrities for being celebrities."

I see the hypocrisy you are pointing out - but this is becoming inception - your critique of someone's critique of someone else - and I just added another level, damn it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AlbertA said:

I see the hypocrisy you are pointing out - but this is becoming inception - your critique of someone's critique of someone else - and I just added another level, damn it.

Oh yeah. I knew I threw up that softball.

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

I would make an exception for John Krasinski getting the cast of Hamilton to sing for the little girl who couldn't go to the show due to the lockdown closures and cancelations. It may well be to blame for networks trying to re-create their own moment like this. I don't know (I assumed that cringeworthy celebrity rendition of 'Imagine' is in fact to blame). 

Holy crap. How the hell did they do that. Was that live and then they edited afterwards? I wanna know the logistics.

43 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

Holy crap. How the hell did they do that. Was that live and then they edited afterwards? I wanna know the logistics.

As far as I know it was all live.

Go to 8m 30 for the start of the whole thing. They all start logging in to the Zoom chat:

How they all kept sync over different internet connections I have NO idea though. Is Zoom that stable for them to all cue up a click track or something and not have any lag? I have music teacher friends who have in fact been doing rehearsals over Zoom successfully.  

My sister has been showing symptoms of the virus and will be tested soon. She works as a caretaker who bathes and changes the elderly in their homes. She has two young daughters, and they all visit me often, and they visit our parents who are already in ill health with COPD.

• Sad 4

Every time I expose myself more than I'm comfortable with, I become really sad. I can feel the virus eating away at me for the next few days. My breathing seems labored. So far these feelings have been psychosomatic.

1. My daughter's boyfriend came by and dropped off cookies. Corona cookies.
  2. My Dad came by, and we chatted from ten feet away, and then he asked to use my bathroom. WTF. I had to let him, he lives too far away to not let him use the bathroom.
  3. The family got in the car and drove 30 minutes to our favorite pizza place, and then we planned to eat the pizza in a nearby parking lot. Unfortunately for me, when I got the pizza, they asked me to sign the receipt. I was caught off guard, "you want me to fucking touch that pen that every customer has touched?" I did it. I signed. And then I used a lot hand sanitizer... and then a few minutes later, in the parking lot, with my family, stuck my fingers in my mouth as I ate the pizza in the parking lot.

I am a germaphobe as it is, but my craziness is at DEFCON 1 at the moment, so you would have enjoyed watching me squirm at these situations above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King of All Cosmos said:

My sister has been showing symptoms of the virus and will be tested soon. She works as a caretaker who bathes and changes the elderly in their homes. She has two young daughters, and they all visit me often, and they visit our parents who are already in ill health with COPD.

Wishing your family all the best and hope it comes back negative. How long will it take to get the result?

My company has announced a 4-week furlough for most salaried employees. This includes me. Non-paid but I should be able to recuperate a portion through unemployment so its not the end of the world. We can take it a week at a time too to minimize the pain before the end of the year. 

• Annoyed 1

I had a one week furlough last week.  The company has said there are no other plans at this time, but I imagine another week of furlough is a possibility after this first round is complete. 

Will see how unemployment works out.  That'll probably take a bit to get sorted out.  I had to stay up until 2am, so I could file for benefits in the middle of the night because the website couldn't handle all of the traffic during the day.