LCVG
foogledricks

LCVG Coronavirus Temperature Check

That’s a pretty clever form of protest. Well done. 

I couldn’t help but think of this, though

• Like 2

On 4/27/2020 at 9:06 AM, Camp said:

The only thing (not government related) that has really gotten on my nerves during the lock down:

TV shows with people fucking singing at home through their shit laptop camera, lighting, and audio setup.

My wife leaves Good Morning America (maybe it's the Today Show -I don't fucking know) on as background noise and pretty much all they can do is fill air time with semi-celebrities or random nobodies entertaining no one with shit performances delivered in the worst possible way.  Apparently, they move back and forth to the local affiliate who also feels the need to infect the airwaves (& internet connections) with an even lower grade of hometown performances.

I don't watch late night talk shows but I can't imagine how bad they must be given their reliance on music. I'd probably go batshit after a single episode.

I've been enjoying the rather low-fi home broadcast from people like Ben Gibbard and Ben Golds. There's a certain amount of cahrm to it and it also reminds me a bit of some of the roughness of peel session recordings.

Talked to a friend at my old job, and found out my old boss(owner) passed away . He was in his 70’s. He was worried about getting Corona because he had heart issues, so he was thinking of closing, but stayed open because his idiot son talked him into it. Then once they did decided to shut down, about 4 days later he was sick. After a few week they gave him that drug on the news, and days later they were told he was getting better, and would be home in a few days. The day he was supposed to be released he had heart complications and passed. 

• Sad 4

My wife has at least 2 former colleagues who have died now, as well as 2 friends' parents. :(

• Sad 2

Ugh, brutal. Very sorry to hear. Crossing fingers here; we haven’t had anybody we know affected yet.

Found out today that my mother and uncle (her brother) are both are sick with Covid. This is a particularly dangerous development for my mother, a life long smoker (finally quit last year), and who'd been terribly sick and frail over the past few years. Cancer, emphysema, and much more. My uncle is a comparatively healthy person, but being in his late 70's, it's still very concerning.

So you understand, my mother and I have had a tumultuous relationship, but it's entirely of her own making. When I say tumultuous, it's all one way, she gets mad and pushes EVERYONE in her life away, all via fantasies of ways they've wronged her. Unfortunately she's just never been a stable person through our entire lives. So it's not a typical situation, we just aren't close, I haven't even seen her in about a year, meaning she's also blocked her grand children out of her life as well. She avoided all of the important events of my life, with absolutely no reason. She wasn't there for my graduations, high school or college, never attended our wedding, and never came for the births of our four children. It's all strange, but it's also just the way life is as she's chosen, it's not something anyone else has control of. So I understand there is a strong possibility of loss here, but I want to temper any condolences. I'm not cold-hearted, I love my mother unconditionally, but I also haven't felt that mother/son connection since my youth, and that unconditional love is unfortunately not reciprocal.

I reached out to her today, left her a message expressing my unconditional love, but I do not know if I'll hear from her. She has always feared death, but she also has seemingly wanted to go out with a vengeance. She's been increasingly frail and sickly for the last few of years, but she would seemingly rather go out with a rift between us (all of her children) than make any sort of amends that you might expect in such a situation.

Given this situation, my greater concern is that of the grander scope of what our family is facing. My uncle is a tough nut in a lot of ways, but one thing I can tell you is that he certainly has shown us unconditional love throughout our entire lives. (He himself just lost the love of his life a few months ago. Unrelated to Covid, as far as we know.) The scary thing though here is that these hard headed old folks refused to wear masks, which is entirely frustrating! They live in the hardest hit Boston community, and simply dismissed everything we've been warned about. Additionally another aunt, who has otherwise been compliant and quarantined has likely also been infected by my mother and uncle. They apparently have all been getting together to play games and build puzzles, without masks. My aunt doesn't yet feel sick, and is not mentally ready to get tested, but we all fear that it's only a matter of time for her, and in-turn her husband (he doesn't play with them, but living with my aunt it's the next domino it would seem).

As I know, this is as far as this connects within my family, I don't know of anyone else in-direct contact with any of them. But also, this is a whole lot of potential bad! It could be a rough road ahead.

I understand what this all means, but I am also a strong and positive person. I am going to hope for the best for all of them, and what'll be, is what'll be. Stay strong LCVG, keep you and your families safe!

Edit: Been making the calls around to family members, getting any info I can. Apparently my Uncle with Covid had also been visiting and doing puzzles with his oldest sister as well. She's been staying with her son though this, so the uncle has been also driving her to get her mail back at home. So that brings in two more family members potentially/probably exposed. Gah! Painfully avoidable situation! Crossing our fingers!

• Sad 6

2 hours ago, JTello said:

Found out today that my mother and uncle (her brother) are both are sick with Covid.

Sorry to hear all that mate, that's awful in so many ways. 

I'm getting very little up to date info from family back in the UK, but that's not unusual either. So far, no concerns. I've already missed one funeral (non-COVID) because of all of this, I really don't want to have another right now. 

Also know of at least a half dozen others (including family) who have had it, but recovered.  So weird.

Government here, embarrassed by having the highest death toll in Europe,and being in the shadow of European nations who took action sooner now beginning to ease their lockdowns, appear to be keen to begin lifting UK restrictions next week.

While a formal statement on any new rules is not due until Sunday night (seemingly bypassing parliamentary debate), the alleged initial plans have only been floated via the front pages of today’s tabloid newspapers, and if my walk this morning was any indication people have seemingly taken that as sign to throw caution to the wind, lay in the sun, gather in groups and have picnics. Even the ice cream vans were out. 😫

14 hours ago, JTello said:

Given my post the other day, figured I owe a minor update.

My mother has been sick, but feeling better today. (But given how this virus seems to operate, that doesn't seem like any assurance.) 

My Uncle on the other hand has, rather surprisingly, had more breathing issues than her. Him having issues isn't shocking, just that my mother doesn't seem as bad, given her already grim health issues.

The first aunt who we suspected, did in-fact test positive now as well. Her husband hasn't been tested yet, but it's gotta be a foregone conclusion. No clue if it'll get tested or not. 

Not sure about the second aunt. 

(If anyone is curious, we don't live near any of them, haven't seen any of them in person since January.) 

What’s the protocol there regarding when to seek hospitalisation should they need it? Or do you suspect they’d be too stubborn to accept it anyway?

I’d completely missed your original post the other day. I’m sorry you in such a downright shitty position. I can empathise with the mental toll difficult family members can place on you, particularly in a crisis. It’s exhausting (I’ve literally lost years of my life to such things). Hope you’re taking care of yourself in that respect.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

What’s the protocol there regarding when to seek hospitalisation should they need it? Or do you suspect they’d be too stubborn to accept it anyway?

I’d completely missed your original post the other day. I’m sorry you in such a downright shitty position. I can empathise with the mental toll difficult family members can place on you, particularly in a crisis. It’s exhausting (I’ve literally lost years of my life to such things). Hope you’re taking care of yourself in that respect.

No worries about me, I'm solid as a rock, happy and healthy. 😊 👍

For me, it's more about sharing, being open. I figure so many here have been open, and it's generally good to let information flow free for any number of reasons, both personally and publicly.  Let's face it, if this family crisis went south and I hadn't shared what's been going on, it'd be weird sharing so much after the fact.

I also think it's helpful generally speaking, to illustrate that this pandemic is no joke or conspiracy. At any time any one of us could be hit. I felt that my situation seemed to be one of the biggest direct impacts I've seen in this thread so far, so sharing it seemed important to do. 

That said, it would have been awkward to not share those intimate background details. It just gives a bit more context to how I might handle such a situation. 

As my sister said the other day regarding how cavalier they were gathering together, "Jesus Christ, they are trying to wipe out a  whole generation (within our family)!" 

It's a messed up situation for sure, but don't worry about me, I'm strong and at peace. When times get tough, I get stronger, I'm good! 👍

• Like 2

On 5/8/2020 at 11:58 AM, JTello said:

No worries about me, I'm solid as a rock, happy and healthy. 😊 👍

For me, it's more about sharing, being open. I figure so many here have been open, and it's generally good to let information flow free for any number of reasons, both personally and publicly.  Let's face it, if this family crisis went south and I hadn't shared what's been going on, it'd be weird sharing so much after the fact.

I also think it's helpful generally speaking, to illustrate that this pandemic is no joke or conspiracy. At any time any one of us could be hit. I felt that my situation seemed to be one of the biggest direct impacts I've seen in this thread so far, so sharing it seemed important to do. 

That said, it would have been awkward to not share those intimate background details. It just gives a bit more context to how I might handle such a situation. 

As my sister said the other day regarding how cavalier they were gathering together, "Jesus Christ, they are trying to wipe out a  whole generation (within our family)!" 

It's a messed up situation for sure, but don't worry about me, I'm strong and at peace. When times get tough, I get stronger, I'm good! 👍

Yes, thanks for sharing. It’s in some ways particularly timely since we are about to experience what “opening up” will bring about. We need to remain cautious and vigilant. 

I’m glad to hear that your stricken family members seem to be doing reasonably well. I hope it stays that way. 

Germany, which has largely had its shit together throughout this mess, has nevertheless apparently seen a spike in infections mere days after implementing easing of lockdown rules this week. Again, this is a country that has been handling things well having largely had one of the best responses to the crisis!

Man I’m worried about the UK’s 2nd wave with the easing... We went to get groceries today and the stores (Tesco and Lidl) had already relaxed restrictions (not even waiting for tonight’s update). My wife still had to queue outside at 6ft apart and the tills still have the plastic shields up but, other than that once inside she said it was all back to normal again already. People on top of each other going through the aisles, queuing to check out normally again (no distancing), etc. If Germany is having issues with their 2nd wave the UK’s is going to be rough :(

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Magness said:

Man I’m worried about the UK’s 2nd wave with the easing... We went to get groceries today and the stores (Tesco and Lidl) had already relaxed restrictions (not even waiting for tonight’s update). My wife still had to queue outside at 6ft apart and the tills still have the plastic shields up but, other than that once inside she said it was all back to normal again already. People on top of each other going through the aisles, queuing to check out normally again (no distancing), etc. If Germany is having issues with their 2nd wave the UK’s is going to be rough :(

It’s crazy. Store policy has not changed where I am, though more people had been allowed into Sainsbury’s last week than I’d have liked and had been used to in previous weeks (at a bigger branch a least. At my smaller local branch they have actually been allowing fewer in at any one time this week).

My walks are noticeably busier, to the point where I am scheduling them at 7:30am just to avoid crowding (might not be so bad in the week, but the Holiday weekend seemed like a free for all thanks to Thursdays newspaper headlines). I’ve seen a definite increase in road traffic over the last two weeks too.

Yep - I also see people getting restless.  Stores with full parking lots and neighborhoods parked up with visiting cars.  Especially these gatherings are C-19 hot spots.

1 hour ago, PackFan said:

Yep - I also see people getting restless.  Stores with full parking lots and neighborhoods parked up with visiting cars.  Especially these gatherings are C-19 hot spots.

That's how it is around here. Hell, my wife + kids are off to visit her mom today. No way was I stopping that. 

6 hours ago, Magness said:

Are most folks wearing masks? That’s just about the least one can do. I’d hope folks are not so eager to be back to normal that they forego that one, simple measure that demonstrates at least a modicum of respect for others. 

Here we are still the way we have been since it started. Only stores that are  busy are grocery stores and Target/Walmart/Home Depot/Lowe’s . We go first thing in the morning so barely anyone is there at those times. Many stores limit the first hour to people over 60/ or those who work in medical field . Which is great as three of us work for a medical group. Just show our badges and get out quick. A lot of other stores are doing curb side pickup. For some reason places like GameStop and best buy are  not doing that here, but are in other states.

In my area some people are wearing masks when out but, only about half of the “crowd”. Since the villages around here are small and we’re between London and Oxford we aren’t near any hotspots really, but even the little villages here have had deaths (Dorton, Bicester for example) :( And with how many shops reopened already on Sunday ahead of the announcement last night (which said they wouldn’t reopen before July) Im worried they are overcompensating and going back to normal way too quickly for my liking. 

• Like 1