LCVG
foogledricks

LCVG Coronavirus Temperature Check

Of course, Johnson said they should go back today. Then Raab said Wednesday on the radio this morning. Then claimed he was wrong to have done so. Then decided that was right after all.

My uncle is supposed to go to rehab in the coming days if he continues to progress as the hospital hopes. 

My mother has been resisting going to the hospital herself, but finally got bad enough that an ambulance was called yesterday. She is resisting any potential ventilator ('all of the people she sees on the news who go on ventilators all die'), and the family members she will talk to are trying to convience her that she should consent if necessary.

I did send voicemail, texts and Mother's Day wishes off into the void this week. She's certainly committed to going out on her terms! 

giphy.gif&ehk=7RVFLemmhcZXGfIODPRxbv2PeX

One aunt is sick, but not terribly so far. The other aunt is doing OK as well. 

• Sad 3

We received a call this morning from my youngest son’s daycare saying that a staff member and two kids in his class tested positive for COVID-19. Since he was exposed, we can’t bring him back until next Tuesday (May 26) at the earliest. It sounds like the two kids who tested positive are doing well, with their only symptoms being a slight fever. He’s home with me now and is doing fine. His spirits are high, and he doesn’t have any symptoms. He is a bit confused about what time it is though. He kept asking me when we were going to have supper, thinking I had picked him up at his normal time. 😄  

My wife and I aren’t exactly sure what we’re going to do with him for the rest of the week. Normally, if he’s sick, we either stay home with him or bring him over to a grandparent’s house. Obviously, that later option is off the table. My boss is going to check with HR to see if there are any special policies in place for parents who may have to stay home with a child who has contracted COVID-19 or been exposed to it. She was going to get back to me once she knew.  Otherwise, my wife and I might just have to alternate days this week to keep an eye on him.

Then, of course, there’s the matter of whether or not he contracted it as well, and in so doing, gave it to all of us. The only thing we can do at the moment is wait to see if we develop any symptoms. Fingers crossed.

• Sad 4

Damn. Is there any means to have him tested? Hope he’s fine and doesn’t pass anything on.

Politicians are desperate to get schools open again here, though curiously not the private schools most of them send their own kids too, with one particular hateful front bench cabinet minister going so far as to say he “guarantees” children will not get infected (though he hasn’t offered to resign if he’s wrong of course).

11 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Damn. Is there any means to have him tested? Hope he’s fine and doesn’t pass anything on.

Same here. I checked Minnesota’s official COVID-19 website, and it says you should get tested if you exhibit any symptoms. He’s not so far, so I don’t think we’ll do it right now.

I was listening to the Joe Rogan podcast. He had a doctor on who I assumed was a quack. Since we all know that Joe likes to have on alternative/controversial people. That's fine. But I was listening attentively for some indicator that this woman was a quack. She seemed fine though.

Then it hit. They started talking about ventilators and how most people who go on ventilators die and how ventilators might do more harm than good. Now any scientific mind knows there is difference between correlation and causation. 

But this woman did not interject that. Joe eventually interjected that himself. Not  the doctor.

There are certainly risks with ventilators (i.e. poor calibration can cause lung injury, prolonged usage weakens your diaphragm, etc.). But those risks are weighed against not being able to get oxygen to your fucking brain when your lungs are shutting down.

If smart people like her can't be trusted to speak clearly about such things, what hope do the common folk have. 

She also was selling her theory that Vitamin D is the key to not dying from Covid-19. She was once again not speaking clearly. She didn't emphasize that Vitamin D "deficiency" is correlated to more severe effects from Covid-19. And not everyone is Vitamin D deficient. My doctor thought I was Vitamin D deficient, then I had a blood test, and it turns out my Vitamin D is perfect. I therefore would receive no benefits from supplementing Vitamin D.

This is true of all vitamins. Unless your deficient, you don't benefit from taking extra. Even drinking extra water is stupid. It ruins your sleep which is bad for your health. Stop drinking extra water because you heard drinking water is good for you.

Sorry.

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

I was listening to the Joe Rogan podcast. He had a doctor on who I assumed was a quack. Since we all know that Joe likes to have on alternative/controversial people. That's fine. But I was listening attentively for some indicator that this woman was a quack. She seemed fine though.

Then it hit. They started talking about ventilators and how most people who go on ventilators die and how ventilators might do more harm than good. Now any scientific mind knows there is difference between correlation and causation. 

But this woman did not interject that. Joe eventually interjected that himself. Not  the doctor.

There are certainly risks with ventilators (i.e. poor calibration can cause lung injury, prolonged usage weakens your diaphragm, etc.). But those risks are weighed against not being able to get oxygen to your fucking brain when your lungs are shutting down.

If smart people like her can't be trusted to speak clearly about such things, what hope do the common folk have. 

She also was selling her theory that Vitamin D is the key to not dying from Covid-19. She was once again not speaking clearly. She didn't emphasize that Vitamin D "deficiency" is correlated to more severe effects from Covid-19. And not everyone is Vitamin D deficient. My doctor thought I was Vitamin D deficient, then I had a blood test, and it turns out my Vitamin D is perfect. I therefore would receive no benefits from supplementing Vitamin D.

This is true of all vitamins. Unless your deficient, you don't benefit from taking extra. Even drinking extra water is stupid. It ruins your sleep which is bad for your health. Stop drinking extra water because you heard drinking water is good for you.

Sorry.

Rhonda Patrick?

Ah, yes. The old “it’s the people who’ve been put on ventilators who die” argument. Most people who die of cancer have been given cancer treatment, too. Mysterious, isn’t it, like doctors are only using them to treat the most serious cases. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

I was listening to the Joe Rogan podcast.

This was your first mistake.

Hang in there, @JFo, that sucks. And the same for all of the others that have had friends and family exposed. I have no family exposed yet, mostly friends or family of other friends, no serious complications fortunately. 

Things are only going to get worse now that "people are tired of dealing with this", five minutes into what is going to be a long, long marathon. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, foogledricks said:

This is true of all vitamins. Unless your deficient, you don't benefit from taking extra. 

I think the point is most people are deficient in D. I first had mine tested in 2013 and I was low. I've been taking a supplement ever since and levels are good now.

The stat she quoted was somewhere around 98% of people who died or had severe complications from Covid-19 were deficient in Vitamin D. Also that there was a disproportioned amount of people with darker skin getting Covid-19. People with darker skin are also more likely to be deficient in Vitamin D.

And since low Vitamin D isn't good overall, if you are low, then you could benefit from supplementation. I didn't interpret her saying everyone should take Vitamin D.

3 hours ago, foogledricks said:

I found the section and listened to it - it didn't find it quite as a bad as your interpretation above - it seems like normal conversation and she was conveying second hand information as well. Since it was light on details (it's a casual conversation after all)  - It wasn't quite clear if she was making a correlation vs causation mistake. But I agree on the point about communicating this stuff more clearly.

Here's my transcript of it:

Rhonda: ...we need higher quality data... we need you know.. people to repeat stuff... like look what's happened with this hydroxychloroquine stuf, right? I mean, I mean it's just kind of a mess where initially it seemed like....it could be helpful and and then just more and more studies came out... where it was not... not only hot helpful it was you know... toxic. It was causing people to have dangerous arrhythmias and stuff um...you know so that's kind of the reason to be kind of be cautious when..when you have something new and a small and one small study.

Joe Rogan: this seems like in the beginning at least they're trying to figure out what the correct treatment was for these people as they were just showing up en-masse... in the emergency rooms and they didn't really know and doctors they...varied in how they approached it. My friend Michael...his doctor didn't put him on a ventilator and he said if I put him on a ventilator he's probably going to die.

because he said his body's gonna stop working because it's... it's gonna let the ventilator do the breathing for him and it's gonna give up and... what he was talking about after the fact, what Michael was talking about was how that is proven to be correct in New York and that some monstrous number like 80% of the.. put on ventilators wound up dying.

Rhonda: not just New York...like I've had friends that are physicians that like in New Orleans... same thing...where it's like you know...there was someone on my team.. we were looking...we were doing some research on this and ..I and I didn't sort of dive into the while thing but he was...he was telling me that... ummm.. ventilators do actually like cause more damage to the lungs and like... like he'd been reading some studies to like confirm that and he was pretty certain that... that ventilators actually cause damage and actually could like... induce damage..where it's like making it worse...so...

Joe Rogan: <speaking over her> That's so worrying

Rhonda: but I don't know I don't know all the specifics so...that all I know is that...looking at the statistics, like if you go on a ventilator, I mean surely it seems like the outcome is not very....it doesn't seem like it's gonna be very good..

Joe Rogan: Right... right now it's hard to say is that... the cause of it or its...

Rhonda: right...

Joe Rogan: or you know just that they're so fucked up by the time they get on a ventilator they just wind up dying 

Rhonda: right..well here the....the....there's been some really interesting data looking at like...in the Philippines and....Indonesia....where else.... I think New Orleans as well...they've looked at patients that have died and their vitamin D levels and basically like in the Philippines... you know people that for like.... every standard deviation increase in vitamin D levels, serum vitamin D levels... you know the people had like... and 8%..or were eight fold.....eight times less likely to have a severe form of COVID-19 and if they had.... and they were 20 times less likely to have critical...like critical form of COVID-19

Joe Rogan: whoaah

<goes on>

2 hours ago, secretvampire said:

This was your first mistake.

How so? I enjoy many of the conversations they have there - but it's a podcast after all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlbertA said:

How so? I enjoy many of the conversations they have there - but it's a podcast after all. 

Sorry, but the moment he invited on, embraced and gave legitimacy to Alex Jones, any shred of credibility he had went flying out the window. That's probably the most egregious example, but he's amplified any number of other lesser crackpots over the years, too. 

• Bravo 1

33 minutes ago, secretvampire said:

Sorry, but the moment he invited on, embraced and gave legitimacy to Alex Jones, any shred of credibility he had went flying out the window. That's probably the most egregious example, but he's amplified any number of other lesser crackpots over the years, too. 

Irrelevant to covid, but worth telling - my wife went to his birthday party a few years back thanks to her friendship with his then wife, on a boat going down Lady Bird Lake, with a bunch of celebreties, without actually knowing who Alex Jones was before or during. She was quite surprised when we connected the dots afterwards :)

• Stunned 2

2 hours ago, AlbertA said:

I found the section and listened to it - it didn't find it quite as a bad as your interpretation above

I'm with you. I said upfront that I was coming in hot. Looking for reasons to call her a quack. And I have baggage when it comes to selling desperate people snake oil ideas. People are desperate for cures/causes to cancer, autism, covid-19, and they'll gobble up whatever you tell them the magic cure or cause is - gluten, aspartame, 5G, hydroxychloroquine, Vitamin D, whatever.

Not that there aren't actual cures and causes out there to be known. Just that people are desperate, and authorities need to be considerate and responsible with how their spreading their influence.

When she presents info about Vitamin D like that, or anything else, she has to know that people are desperate for the cure and will latch onto what she's says. And respond excessively. People will walk away from the podcast, take a sledge hammer to their ventilators and drink a gallon of milk and feel good about the change. Authority figures need to speak tightly, not loosely, about important things. Even if they're on the Joe Rogan podcast.

38 minutes ago, secretvampire said:

Sorry, but the moment he invited on, embraced and gave legitimacy to Alex Jones, any shred of credibility he had went flying out the window.

This isn't popular now-a-days, but I don't subscribe to the silence-the-wrong-people mentality. Delete YouTube videos. Ban Twitter accounts.

I think anti-vaxxers are very misguided. But I don't think they should be silenced. I think they should spread their message and that message should be countered by smart informed people. Engage, discuss, debate. Always better than silence or ignore in my book.

• Like 1