LCVG
foogledricks

LCVG Coronavirus Temperature Check

Vitamin D deficiency is really common in Western countries. Taking some over the counter vitamins for it is such a low bar to reach for that we should do it regardless. I know some very smart people who are obsessed with life expectancy that have latched onto the VitD connection with Covid 19 like it's a lifeboat to grab for, because it fits their existing points of view. And we're all seeing that echo-chambered onwards. Take an extra VitD pill a day, go on. 

I think anti-vaxxers are very misguided. But I don't think they should be silenced. I think they should spread their message and that message should be countered by smart informed people. Engage, discuss, debate. Always better than silence or ignore in my book.

I know where you're coming from, and I utterly appreciate where you're wanting to go. But that's a really tough call. The seeds of doubt that get sown from the anti-vaxxers are really hard to cut down. I see it all around me in suburban Texas when it gets mixed in with a distrust of big government. We had a couple of incidents of whooping cough this year for example. 

• Like 2
  • Bravo 1

9 hours ago, dogbert said:

I know where you're coming from, and I utterly appreciate where you're wanting to go. But that's a really tough call. The seeds of doubt that get sown from the anti-vaxxers are really hard to cut down. I see it all around me in suburban Texas when it gets mixed in with a distrust of big government. We had a couple of incidents of whooping cough this year for example. 

I've been fighting this fight for decades and it is getting harder for me.

I've always been passionate about the idea "innocent until proven guilty" - let guilty people unjustly go free to prevent innocent people from unjustly being incarcerated. And we allow the KKK to walk down the street, saying what we consider vile things, in the name of protecting our own rights.

So yeah, there are consequences to the anti-vaxxer movement gaining traction. There a consequences to the climate-change deniers movement gaining traction.  I bet conservatives worried that this damn woman's movement would have consequences as well.

We all think we're right about high-stakes issues, so we should be hesitant about empowering authorities like government and corporations toward supporting who is right and silencing who is not. Because one day we might considered "not right" by those in power.

• Like 2

Oh, and full disclosure. I'm currently taking calcium supplements, which contain Vitamin D. I've cut back on milk consumption in recent years and am compensating for that. Compensating for a lot of things, obviously.

Also full disclosure, I make money off of vaccines as my wife is a pharma rep. So I get a dime every time a baby cries ... from being stuck.

• Like 2

Unless things take an unexpected turn, I'll make this my last update,... 

My mother is still in the hospital, can't walk to the bathroom door without horrible breathing issues. But the fact that they have her trying to give you an indicator that she's 'better'. As with my uncle, they want to move her to rehab when they feel she's ready, and her response has been, according to my sister, '"Fuck you, I'm going home, I have things to do!"

Pleasant as pie, as usual! If being this close to death doesn't change a person, well, there's just no hope! Some things just don't make any sense.

My Uncle has been at the temporary field hospital setup at the Boston Convention Center where they sent him to rehab. (The last time I was in Boston was just before the Pandemic started closing the U. S., we were at the Convention Center for Paxeast. I was concerned at the time that PAX would be canceled, it was that close. Kinda crazy that it was then transformed into a temporary hospital to deal with the C-19 influx.)  They are closing the hospital this week, and they are arranging for him to go home if he's ready.

My aunt and uncle who been home confined have not had an easy time, but they've been well enough to remain at home. Massachusetts has a Covid team that comes and checks on them regularly. My aunt is just finishing her mandatory quarantine time, but plans to remain inside with her husband until they are both clear. They have been getting a lot of support from everyone, so they are good, they need to get through. 

The other relatives exposed/infected have all been in quarantine, but none has had any reportable issues. All doing well! 

• Sad 6

My goodness Jeff, that's a lot to take on all at once...for all of you. If it helps you process, I say keep on posting updates here. No worries if you'd sooner not.

I hope everyone comes out of this in good shape!

So they just announced that schools in Ontario are done for the year, and that any overnight summer camps (and at this point, day camps) are done.  Can't say it's really unexpected, but it still sucks.  September is also going to look strange from all accounts, but that's a lifetime from now.  I'm not so much worried about the kids missing out on school content as I am them not having any real social outlets right now. 

At least we're all healthy, and saving a bunch of money on camps and child care?  I'd say we can use it for a vacation when this is all over, but who knows when travel will be a thing again. 

1 hour ago, Camp said:

Like many of you, I've been working from home since early March. My company's response has really been amazing and ahead of the curve. Acquiring new hardware (computers, wifi hot spots, monitors, etc.) for employees, extra pay each month to cover work from home expenses, unlimited sick time, extending benefits for child care assistance, and it seems like they mail us gifts every other week (everything from warm cookies to clothing to booze).

Now, the company has committed to continuing our work from home plan through September 7. That really blew me away. I may be drinking the Kool-aid but all these actions really feel genuine and employee-centered.

The firm encourages employee loyalty.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Camp said:

Like many of you, I've been working from home since early March. My company's response has really been amazing and ahead of the curve. Acquiring new hardware (computers, wifi hot spots, monitors, etc.) for employees, extra pay each month to cover work from home expenses, unlimited sick time, extending benefits for child care assistance, and it seems like they mail us gifts every other week (everything from warm cookies to clothing to booze).

Now, the company has committed to continuing our work from home plan through September 7. That really blew me away. I may be drinking the Kool-aid but all these actions really feel genuine and employee-centered.

Where do you work at these days? That sounds like a fantastic company and one that should get more business.

Where do you work at these days? That sounds like a fantastic company and one that should get more business.

Sorry, I didn't even realize I left that out. I'm at Peloton.

• Bravo 2

2 minutes ago, Camp said:

Sorry, I didn't even realize I left that out. I'm at Peloton.

My wife and I are big fans, my username is geauxkb

• Like 2

Not to keep this off topic and sound crazy, but Peloton has changed my life. I bought my wife one for her birthday last year but I now ride at least as much as she does. I’m down close to 30 pounds from the start of the year. I am fully gulping the Kool-Aid. Username is Actinide (shocking, I know.)

• Like 1
  • Bravo 2

The response in Amazon - at least for the device engineering side - has been pretty good - I already worked from home thanks goodness, but looks like they will be extending that for everyone until at least October - they'll re-asses then. The recent town halls indicate that they will let employees work remote if they so chose to, even after the restrictions are lifted.

In other news, my city, Frisco, finally has a dashboard up with data: https://geo.friscotexas.gov/friscoportal/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=cbb3c288bc4c41f1bb87a7b85579b176

Very low numbers thankfully and we've remained pretty flat these last couple of weeks as far as number of new daily cases ; total cases is about 0.08% of total city population, 1 death.

The county is also starting free bi-weekly drive-through testing: https://communityimpact.com/dallas-fort-worth/plano/coronavirus/2020/05/14/biweekly-free-coronavirus-testing-in-collin-county-to-start-in-mckinney-plano/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brandon H said:

Not to keep this off topic and sound crazy, but Peloton has changed my life. I bought my wife one for her birthday last year but I now ride at least as much as she does. I’m down close to 30 pounds from the start of the year. I am fully gulping the Kool-Aid. Username is Actinide (shocking, I know.)

Great job! I'm only down 20 lbs but yes it has made my life better. Now that the weather is nicer I do find myself riding outside more and more and less on the Peloton. The Peloton is in my office and I'll go sit on it and lightly pedal on it during long boring conference calls.

• Like 1
  • Bravo 1

@kelley and @Brandon H my rider ID is CampM. I followed you Kelley but, Brandon, I got no returns when searching for Actinide. Maybe follow me and I'll get you back?

Oh, and I'm glad to hear your impressive results on the bike!

• Like 2

We reopened our office back up on the 11th, I didn't go but have access to the security camera and enjoyed watching people struggle to work with their mask on and follow the rules. Here we are a little over a week later and no one is going in anymore.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Camp said:

My experience is somewhat the same. Since I changed jobs last Sept, I felt I made the right move to a smaller agency. One of the reasons I left my previous place was that over the 9 years I was there, they grew and grew, and over that time became more and more 'impersonal' - I won't go into details, but at some point I started feeling more like a line on a spreadsheet than a valued employee.

And now that the shit has hit the proverbial fan with our health crisis, I can definitely say I feel like a valued employee. We too are getting extra money to cover WFH expenses (backdated to March), and because they recognize that in some cases work hours have become more blurred than normal, every Friday is a half-day if you don't have an urgent deliverable.

It's not just the private sector either. My BF works for the city of SF, in social services. Because he is a supervisor, he is automatically deemed a "disaster response" worker. Some of these folks actually are doing different jobs related to the pandemic, my BF is still doing the same job, but he does have to go IN to work every day (although there are only a handful of people still on site), crossing the city on busses and on foot. This is why I haven't seen him in 2 months...because his exposure risk is vastly greater than mine. But the city of SF is offering all disaster response workers an extra day of paid vacation for every week of work since the lockdown started.

• Like 2

We are still working at home 4 days a week. I go in one day a week (Thurs) but the room I am in only has one other person not sitting near me. The rest of the place is a ghost town except for higher ups. Word is, its going to be a long time until we go back because there is no reason for most of us to have to be in the office to do our jobs. I am looking forward to a 4 day weekend .

• Like 1

I'm probably WFH until at least September given the situation with the kids, and I don't really mind that much.  I was thinking about it, and if it goes to a system where not everyone can be in the office all the time, then really, what's the point of being in the office at all.  If the argument is that "collaboration is better in person" then if you're not in person with the right people, then you'll never have a chance to actually engage in the type of collaboration you want.  Getting to the point where it's, say, 30% of the people in the office on any given day doesn't really help if most of the people you have to work with are remote that day.  I get going into an office if there's something physical you need access to that doesn't exist remotely, but for me, I have better internet, more monitors, fewer distractions, and less commute time this way (saving me probably 2.5-3h/day of driving).

• Like 2

Exactly @ChrisBardon . My setup is better then at work, my chair is more comfortable, and I am not bothered by nonsense all day. 

Our IT manager here at BigOil actually conceded yesterday that the evidence shows productivity is actually UP bigly with everyone working from home. AND we'll be looking to put 25-50% of IT employees on permanent WFH status.

I'd better be one of them. 

Carlos. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Carlucci said:

Our IT manager here at BigOil actually conceded yesterday that the evidence shows productivity is actually UP bigly with everyone working from home. AND we'll be looking to put 25-50% of IT employees on permanent WFH status.

WFH: The Ultimate Cubicle!

My employer continues to talk about bringing folks back into the office, but it sounds like they are in no hurry to do so. I don't blame them. The Director of our group says that he has received nothing but praise from other departments about our group's performance while working offsite. If we can get the job done without adversely affecting the business and not put people at risk, I can't see any good reason to bring us back in any time soon.

Quick update on our situation: We did not get the little guy tested yesterday. All thing's considered, he seems perfectly fine aside from a very mild fever that comes and goes. He's still not suffering from any other symptoms — no cough, no runny nose, etc. I think if he does start exhibiting more symptoms, we'll take him in. But for the time being, we'll just keep him at home and keep a close eye on his condition. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Carlucci said:

I'd better be one of them.

Fingers crossed! Cheers for using "bigly" in a sentence.

It will be interesting to see what we do. My company is small (~40 people), they've actually hired a few since SIP started. And we don't have a ton of space to begin with, so we won't be able to work at minimum safe distance if everyone is there. I would actually like to be in the office now and then, I miss some of the camaraderie and spontaneous conversation that breaks out. I never thought I'd say such things, as I'm really an introvert at heart. Overall, I'd say I prefer working at home just for the ease of being able to pop in and out of work mode at a moment's notice (start a load of laundry!), having total control over my environs (music playing out loud!). Commute-wise it's a wash, as I'm a 5 min bike ride from the office.

Originally, they projected dates at which they would evaluate the WFH situation, but now there's no more talk of specific dates. It's just how it's going to be for the foreseeable future. And I sense that we've hit a good rhythm as a company working from home, and there's not much financial pressure to get everyone back together.