LCVG
foogledricks

LCVG Coronavirus Temperature Check

2 hours ago, Carlucci said:

Any recommendations for good, ergonomic chairs in the $250 or less range?

Carlos.

I got a killabee gaming chair as they have bigger seats, and is beyond comfortable for me.

Speaking of IKEA, I would not give up my MARKUS for anything less than some terrifyingly expensive Mid-Century Charles & Ray Eames thing. Rest of the house have the FLINTAN which is OK, but I love the headrest. 

Except I can catch the adjustment dial on the back of my VR headset, so maybe that’s less great?

27 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

RBTPODUDSZDSFM2IKHCUKGALWY.jpg

New Dead Rising game looks good.

Half expected there would be arrows on the parking lot.  

Carlos.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

RBTPODUDSZDSFM2IKHCUKGALWY.jpg

New Dead Rising game looks good.

What is this? 

I don't play Dead Rising, so I Googled, didn't see a release.

But if course this is also Ikea, don't think they sell video games. Do they?

There couldn't be this many people buying physical games any more. Could there be?

And during a pandemic no less. Uh, digital? 

Seriously, what is this, a line for Covid testing? 

A line of really polite American looters? 

200.gif&ehk=edYG9kjHAaccfDnTyd0lTT7EzsPg

It's a queue to get into IKEA. But Dead Rising is a game based on Dawn of the Dead, and it looks a little like zombies outside a shopping mall.

OK, this makes the least sense. A line for Ikea furniture?

This must be the most epic furniture sale ever?

Or,.... Zombies!!! 

Fuck, it is the End of Days! I get it, omg, ZOMBIES! 

It just puzzled me that with the UK (prematurely) easing lockdown this week because the rest of Europe is making is look bad, IKEA is where people want to go in the midst of a heatwave. 

Particularly when Ikea’s home delivery costs have got a lot more reasonable; we recently had a new rug delivered. 

52 minutes ago, JFo said:

8448A02B-D0BC-425A-A7D2-FD90107A6F6F.gif.bda323006accd086af75e5477e664142.gif

“How are you?“

My youngest boy (the one who tested positive) went back to daycare last week. My oldest is now at his summer daycare program for the summer. My wife is still home from work for the remainder of the week. If she doesn’t develop any COVID-like symptoms before Monday, she can go back. She’ll have been off for about three-and-a-half weeks by then. She originally took a week-and-a-half off to watch our youngest after his daycare closed, but after the little guy tested positive for COVID, she had to wait an additional two weeks after he had been symptom-free for three days before she could go back. I’m doing fine as well with no symptoms to report. I’ve been working from home since the end of March, so not much has changed for me, other than it’s been a lot busier (and noisier!) during the day when I’m on the clock.

I has been weird having everyone together at home for so long. All of our routines have been thrown off. If my wife returns to work Monday, we’ll go back to a routine that’s similar to what we had before the lockdown started in March. The only difference is that I’m still working from home for the time being. It will be good to return to “normal,” whatever that may be. I’m just glad that our little guy was breezed through the infection unscathed and that none of us caught it (as far as we know). It does make me a bit cautious about going out again, especially now that businesses are starting to reopen here in Minnesota again. We’ll see how it goes.

I'm wondering what your test results would be ... are you just a superior genetic specimen that is a-symptomatic...

8 hours ago, foogledricks said:

I'm wondering what your test results would be ... are you just a superior genetic specimen that is a-symptomatic...

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about what happened with our family and why. When my son tested positive, I assumed it was a foregone conclusion that the rest of us would get it as well. The only questions were when would it happen and how severe would the symptoms be? I figured our oldest would fare pretty well with perhaps a few mild symptoms at most. My wife and I — both in our 40s now — would do a bit worse. If we were lucky it might feel like a bad cold. At worst, one of us could end up in the hospital.

None of that happened. No one has displayed any symptoms, and no one else has tested positive. What gives? Are children less likely to transmit than adults? Maybe because he didn’t have a cough, he didn’t transmit it? Did he get a false positive? I have no idea. It’s so weird. This disease doesn’t make any sense. 

• Like 1

Not coughing probably helped out with that. Everyone reacts different to it, which is very odd indeed.

Got an email from work yesterday saying they still do not have finalized plans about changing work schedules to more days in the office. We have far too many people to get any sort of good social distancing plan set unless we have more room to move people which we do not. So at this point it probably won’t be until July, but by then Covid will be spiking in most parts of the country again because of stupidity, so why even bother, what’s the rush, it will be 4 months by then.

At this point, all of the kids' summer camps have been cancelled, so I've basically told work that even if we open the office back up, I'm not going to be back in until September at least.  I'm fine with going in if there's a point to it, but not just for the sake of "being in the office". If there's nobody else there to work with, then there's no point in being there, right?  Looks like it's going to be a long summer though.  Was chatting with some friends the other day, and talking about summer plans for kids, and it's basically going to be a lot of Sims, youtube, switch, and xbox games between them, probably interspersed with a decent dose of swimming in their grandparents' pool.  Given that my folks live close by, and that we're basically going to the same places we decided to extend the bubble slightly, which is great because both kids have fun swimming.  So all things considered, we're still in a pretty rarefied position. 

Today was also the first time in a while I saw the daily number in Ontario in the 200s, so maybe that's a good sign?  Political turmoil and decent weather aren't going to help, so maybe we'll just see things simmering at this level all summer? 

At least New Zealand managed to get rid of their last cases?  There are advantages to being an island I suppose. 

3 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

At least New Zealand managed to get rid of their last cases?  There are advantages to being an island I suppose. 

Well, they've managed to keep the snakes out, so they know a little something about keeping yucky things away.

Carlos.

Yeah, my work is also trying to start the process of reintegrating employees back into the building. The current plan is bring people back in phases. Phase 1 would have about 30% return for 9 weeks. Phase 2 would see another 60% (90% total) return for 13 weeks. Phase 3 would bring in the last 10%, which would mostly consist of high-risk individuals. They want to start Phase 1 at the end of the month if all goes right. However it sounds like it may not actually start until mid-July at this point.

Our manager sent an email Monday asking us to tell her which phase we would like to return to the building and our justification for the request. I responded back saying that I would like to come back in Phase 2. I figure Phase 3 is out of the question for me since I don’t qualify as high-risk. Phase 2 would give me the rest of the summer at home, giving me some flexibility in case something happens with the kiddos. I also figure it would be easier to come back in the fall when school is (hopefully) back in session and everyone is doing their normal thing.

She (our manager) wanted a response by the end of the day today which I was able to provide. Unfortunately, I hit the “Reply All” button and sent my email to her and our entire org. Whoops! I guess everyone gets to know my thoughts on the matter now. Including you guys, I guess.

Here in Rhode Island the governor announced schools will reopen at the end of the summer. Hopefully this sticks, no significant rebound of C19.

IMO, Home schooling has gone as smoothly as we could have hoped, both in our district, and here at our home with four kids. I applaud everyone who made it work!

And,... It's also a total failure, IMO.

My kids have had it easy, 100% support from their schools, two parents home helping with any needs, all of the equipment and supplies they could want, no worries, plenty of down time, etc. They have been in great spirits and made the best of everything.

I also don't think they've learned jack-squat. Well, about as minimum as possible, as far as I can gather. Distance learning is simply not conducive to teaching or learning for middle school or elementary. It's not for lack of effort on anyone's part, it simply is what it is.

If home schooling can only provide like 20% (I feel like that's being generous) of the experience and opportunity that a typical day of school might offer, everyone putting in 100% simply doesn't matter.

To be fair, a fresh school year with planned distance could certainly do far better, but make no mistake, it would also fall far too short in many ways.

We've been lucky, I imagine distance learning has gone horribly for some. There are so many ways for things to have gone wrong, so many variables and variations. If have been waiting with bated breath for todays announcement, I can only assume there are some people literally celebrating (cautiously I'm sure, but still). 

9 hours ago, JTello said:

We've been lucky, I imagine distance learning has gone horribly for some. There are so many ways for things to have gone wrong, so many variables and variations. If have been waiting with bated breath for todays announcement, I can only assume there are some people literally celebrating (cautiously I'm sure, but still). 

Rural areas in particular have struggled with distance learning. The reason? A lack of available broadband Internet access in those areas.

I got to say NYC did a great Job transitioning to google classroom. Losing my job of 20 years right before all this started sucked, but being home with my daughter helping her with the school stuff was a plus. Even though the common core learning is garbage. NYC has also just announced we are getting a 420$ debit card mid June for food since the kids did not eat lunch at school since end of march(even though I could have got my daughter free lunch at a near by school everyday).

Jeff glad everyone is doing better now.

My new company has announced we are not re-opening offices until after Labor Day.

• Excellent 1

I'm guessing the county my office is normally in (Dauphin) in PA will go green phase next Friday and I'd expect the office to open back up. I'm not likely to go there anytime soon and I'd imagine my company will inform all employees that coming to the office is purely optional for the time being until further restrictions are lifted and case counts continue to drop.

Our Secretary of Education has said schools will resume in the fall but things will be heavily modified. I've heard from some teachers that my kids school district is planning on splitting the kids into two groups. One group would attend three days a week and the second group two days and then alternate weeks from there to keep class sizes down and to implement proper distancing guidelines. 

Schools here have said 10 kids per class and if you can keep your kid home and do online classes please do that to save the in class slots for those parents that have to go into work.