LCVG
foogledricks

LCVG Coronavirus Temperature Check

Fast 9 being delayed A YEAR is extraordinary. 

When it comes to Disney, while yes they’d be wise to delay Mulan, Black Widow and probably Jungle Cruise and Soul as well, they should prioritise finally making a move to shut down all their remaining parks. 

On a personal note, I was just looking at flights to see my Bro in Houston in the summer and it’s crazy right now. A direct flight 1 day in May is £310 and the next day the same flight is £750. You always see price fluctuations on flights but with all the travel disruption the pricing is all over the place for any given day or month right now. Thankfully I can book this whenever it’s convenient so, I’ll worry about flights later. And as more travel bans get put into place to/from the US (which seems likely) it also seems likely that prices will come down more. 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Fast 9 being delayed A YEAR is extraordinary. 

When it comes to Disney, while yes they’d be wise to delay Mulan, Black Widow and probably Jungle Cruise and Soul as well, they should prioritise finally making a move to shut down all their remaining parks. 

yep its gonna happen. 

if disney wants + to take off, put black widow on the service 

16 minutes ago, JoeyN said:

if disney wants + to take off, put black widow on the service 

I'm not sure that would be wise or as financially beneficial as it might sound, not least because the streaming service is available in so few territories. This is eventually going to be the summer that didn't exist as far as Hollywood is concerned. 

Is it just me or does it feel like the shit REALLY hit the fan today?

27 minutes ago, Mark E said:

Aye. That's what happens when Tom Hanks contracts it and all sports are cancelled.

Here in Minnesota, we're up to nine confirmed cases. That's up from five yesterday. It will be interesting to see if it doubles again tomorrow.

My work is scrambling to figure out if it can run the business with most office employees working from home. Tomorrow, anyone who has not worked from home before must do so to see if they can do it. On Monday, everyone was ordered to work from home to test if the business can continue to function even with everyone -- or almost everyone -- working remotely. I work from home on Fridays anyway, so it's not that big a deal to me. I have one co-worker, though, who has never done it before and does not have any equipment set up (external monitors, keyboards, etc.), so it will be real interesting to see what happens with her. I 

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't go into work at all next week. Minnesota may still have a chance to get ahead of this thing if everything gets shut down before the end of the week. We'll see what happens.

The question is what about my kids? How much longer before the schools shut down and all the day cares close? I'm technically not allowed to work from home if I have a child under the age of 13 in my care (unless another adult is home with me). Our manager brought the subject up on a conference call today, but didn't say what the company policy would be. 

44 minutes ago, Mark E said:

I think companies and leagues decided to just be serious, and take caution by not having large gatherings. It’s the CDC recommendation. Try and slow the spread as much as they can.

At work they are going to start moving us at least 6 feet apart until they set up enough remote access for the 400+ people to work from home. I can do my job from home with no issue really once it’s ready, as I have everything I need. they actually asked us all if we could do it ASAP, and I was one of the few. Hopefully that means I can be one of the first.

14 minutes ago, JFo said:

The question is what about my kids? How much longer before the schools shut down and all the day cares close? I'm technically not allowed to work from home if I have a child under the age of 13 in my care (unless another adult is home with me). Our manager brought the subject up on a conference call today, but didn't say what the company policy would be. 

Been hearing this is a tough decision because, in a way it makes sense to leave schools open since kids aren't as affected which in turn wouldn't hinder nurses, etc from working and having to deal with their own day care.

Disneyland (Anaheim) is closing on the 14th through to the end of the month, with the hotels on property closing on the 16th. I would expect closure to extend beyond the 31st frankly. They also really need to do the same in Paris ASAP. 

No word on Disney World, which is going to be a logistical nightmare to shut down given that it is effectively its own city. They're going to have to do something though, especially with its higher rate of guest traffic and international customers.

NCAA Tournament - Canceled

NHL - Suspended

NBA - Suspended

MLS - Suspended

MLB - Suspended

ATP - Suspended

NASCAR - Racing without fans in attendance

No Time To Die - Delayed

Quiet Place 2 - Delayed

F9 - Delayed

In Kansas City all events of more than 1000 people have been banned.

Planet ComiCon KC - Cancelled/Delayed

Work seems to be ramping up to a work from home scheme for us, after all.  They've been testing scenarios the past couple of days.

Madness.

My company is officially WFH starting next week. As luck would have it, I'm off to Joshua Tree for 5 days starting this weekend. This trip was planned months ago, but it feels like a really good time to go to the desert!

• Like 4

Mulan, New Mutants and Antlers all bumped by Disney with no new dates.

Universal Studios Hollywood closing the theme park on the 14th to 28th.

I live in Toledo. They announced all K-12 school buildings will be closed for three weeks starting Monday. They're trying to figure out if they can do remote teaching (I don't think most of the schools have the equipment) or what else they might be able to do.

Also, my wife and I just cancelled our trip out to Scottsdale this Sunday. To say I'm bummed is an extreme understatement, but it feels like the right thing to do.

I told everyone at work to work from home for at least the next week. We're pretty well set up for it (everyone has laptops and does WFH periodically), so it shouldn't be a big deal for us.

This is fairly surreal at this point. Throw Tom Hanks into the mix, and it's just insane!

If I was Bethesda, I’d sneak release Doom Eternal tomorrow.  The opposite of all these big movies, take advantage of the quarantine.

• Like 3

I would not be surprised if a few things like that happen with the entertainment industry. Don’t know about games though.

I’d say it’s time to test the waters with first release into homes. But that’s just crazy talk. 

• Like 1

All non-essential travel is on hiatus at my company for 60 days. My Dallas trip is officially canceled.

• Sad 1

Games will get delayed. Doom's fine, but games in April/May/June? Who's going to be in-office to finalize 'em?

• Like 2

If anyone needs tips for working from home, I'm available. I've been WFH since moving to this new position in the middle of last year and frankly I can't imagine ever going back to an office if I can help it.

• Like 1

I very much doubt that we get PS5 or Series X until next spring, either. Not that those should be very important right now.

7 hours ago, dienekes96 said:

If I was Nintendo, I’d sneak release Animal Crossing tomorrow.  The opposite of all these big movies, take advantage of the quarantine.

Fixed your post. 😀

It will be interesting to see if there’s a measurable spike in game sales in the weeks and months to come. China has depleated the world’s stock of Ring Fit Adventure on account of quarantines.

• Like 1

Disney World and, at long last, Disneyland Paris, will now also close it has been announced. That’s every Disney park on Earth now shut down. Their Cruise line has also ceased operation. Hell of a time to be the new CEO. 

Universal Orlando will be closing too.

They’re all saying “until the end of the month” but that seems naively optimistic to me, and dangerous even if they plan to use the downtime to implement new cleaning procedures and put hand sanitiser pods everywhere (I’ve no idea if that’s their intention. I’m merely speculating. It won’t really help at this stage where there’s such a huge flow of people in a country that has totally dropped the ball on trying to prevent and contain this).

So happy to be self-employed and able to work from home, though there aren't any reports of the virus hitting this area yet. Since I work so many hours, I rarely have time to go out and do things, so my exposure would've been minimal in any event.

Quit hoarding toilet paper. There's no reason for it. Even if you catch the bug, the amount of TP you normally have on hand will likely see you through the illness. Wash your hands and take common sense precautions without succumbing to pack mentality. And don't be afraid to eat Chinese food. It's good.

3 hours ago, King of All Cosmos said:

And don't be afraid to eat Chinese food. It's good.

I think we will agree to disagree on this point. I know there is a distinction between "real" Chinese food and "American" Chinese food. But whatever it was that I used to eat, and attempt to digest ... the sheer amount of fat, salt, and sugar surrounding whatever animal meat... that challenge is for younger people's digestive systems to cope with. Not mine. Not anymore.

• Like 1