LCVG

Capcom working on Resident Evil 4 Remake .....

Romier S

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/resident-evil-4-remake/

Following its reimaginings of Resident Evil 2 and 3, multiple development sources have told VGC that the Resident Evil 4 remake has now entered full production with an estimated release window in 2022.

Development is being led by Osaka-based M-Two, the new studio founded by former PlatinumGames head Tatsuya Minami, which has been preparing for the project since 2018.

However, similar to how 2020’s Resident Evil 3 was led by company Red Works, Capcom’s internal teams and other external studios are likely to lend support.

It’s understood that the remake has the blessing of original game director Shinji Mikami, who officially declined an approach to lead the project himself but has provided informal advice on its direction.

Can I say that I’m not particularly as excited about this as I would have been about a Code Veronica Remake? A game that is in far greater need of an RE2/RE3 style remake than 4. Capcom just doesn’t seem to give a shit about that game.

4 is, by a meaningful margin, my favorite game in the series.  But it has also aged well.  I also love Code Veronica, which would really benefit from such a polish.  To be honest, I’d buy either game, but would be more excited about CV.

I would also wager that RE4 is more of a gamble.  It’s rightly considered one of the finest video games ever made.  Walking that line in a remake between update and “improvement” is tougher with such a familiar and vocal fan base.  Good luck to them.

I have some thoughts.

First, if Capcom wants to remake Resident Evil 4, I just want it to be a graphical overhaul. Don't change anything else. Don't change the gameplay. Don't add any new content to the campaign.  Don't change the cheesy voice acting. The game is absolutely perfect as it is and does not need any "improvements." I don't expect this to happen, given what Capcom has done with RE2 and 3, but it is what I would prefer as a fan of the original.

Second, count me in as someone who would also like to see a remake of CODE: Veronica first. For that matter, I'd also rather see remake of RE0. Yes, that is one of the worst games of the series. However, it had a lot of potential that was squashed by bad execution. The two unique gameplay ideas in that title — swapping between two characters at will, dropping inventory items anywhere you want — can work well. Don't believe me? Go play Resident Evil Revelations 2 to see how those ideas can be great if implemented better. I would love to see a good version of that game come into existence.

For that matter, I'll also take another remake of RE1. I would love to see the Spencer mansion rendered in terrifying 3D using the RE Engine. 

Finally, when will Capcom give us a Mega Man Legacy Collection-style compilation of the original PSX Resident Evil games? I don't expect anything fancy. Even just a straight up port of these games at a budget price would be nice to have at this point. These are classic games that deserve to be made available to players using current console hardware.

RE2 was my first RE game. Code Veronica was my second. And RE4 was my favorite.  I replayed RE4 quite a few times. I have no idea if the gameplay holds up for me. I do remember it being really intense. I would love to have my daughter try to play it. She would definitely crap herself and hand me back the controller in 5 minutes.