LCVG

The Cancelling of Ellen DeGeneres

First, watch this because it is so good.

Am I the only one noticing this? It is as-if the Russians were bored of messing with American elections, and on their lunch break, decided to take down a beloved celebrity. 

And then the intern shouts out "Let's take down that funny lesbian comedian woman who played that forgetful fish!"

Have you read the "evidence" showcasing Ellen's evilness? Articles keep popping into my feed about it. I read them trying to figure out what's going on. Here is one of many summaries that exist:

https://www.insider.com/ellen-degeneres-mean-backlash-nikkietutorials-timeline-2020-4

Here are some highlights:

• A guest didn't get a private toilet
  • When I was 15 @TheEllenShow was doing a contest of fans making a bust of her and sending it to her. I worked so hard on this and even wrote her a letter. Weeks later she used it as a prop in a game and gave it away to a random person with $500 attached to the bottom.
  • I worked @RealFoodDaily, served her & Porsha at brunch. She wrote a letter to the owner & complained about my chipped nail polish (not that it was on her plate but just that it was on my hand). I had worked till closing the night before & this was next morn, almost got me fired.
  • accusations that she wouldn't let crew members eat meat, that she fired an autistic custodian for greeting her, and that she made anyone entering her office chew gum from a bowl outside her door since she had a "sensitive nose."
  • Was wrking on a show @ WB that was next to her stage. Was our showrunner's 50th Bday. Caterer grilling steaks outside for special fancy lunch. Ellen sent someone over to demand they stop, as she doesn't eat meat. She's the worst.
  • Another friend of mine was a PA on her show and when Russell Brand came into the employee break area to chat with the crew and hang out, Ellen came in and got mad at him - saying he didn't have to interact with these people, that's why guests have their own area backstage.
  • A new staff member was told "every day she picks someone different to really hate. It's not your fault, just suck it up for the day and she'll be mean to someone else the next day. They didn't believe it but it ended up being entirely true.

On and on. It all seems so flimsy, uncorroborated, petty, one-sided ... I was half expecting a story about how she kicked a dog. 

Of course Ellen has received jabs for her celebrity elitism (like when she said the shutdown feels like jail, from her mansion), and she's received jabs for interacting with people that are too Republican (i.e. anyone who is not a friend to political agendas that people expect her to support like gay rights and woman's rights, etc.). So she has pissed off the left in recent years. Maybe that's related?

I'm not an Ellen fan. I mean I like her. I love Finding Nemo and she is very pleasant to listen to when I've seen clips from her show. This all just seems like a weird hit job. Maybe she is a bad person, but I'm not sold on that by what people are saying.

Keith, may I recommend the extensive, brilliant work by Paul Joseph Watson(YouTube) on the subject of wokeness, virtue signaling, and the Cancel Culture. 

"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." -- William Munny in Unforgiven. 

Sooner or later the cancel culture will come for all celebrities, and businesses, who play the wokeness game. It's unsustainable. 

Carlos. 

I can't help but read your post, Keith, and by the end simply want to ask 'why do you care?'

And I don't mean that in a 'fuck you' kind of way at all. I just have never understood celebrity culture, which I think is one of the parents of cancel culture.

But if you want to know what I think, I have some vague ideas that anyone who is either well-loved or largely despised will incite in a small group of contrarians the opposite feeling. There is a certain kind of power that comes with expressing thoughts and feelings that run counter to what is commonly held. And in the world of online 'journalism,' you can try to get your content to stand apart, and get attention, by taking extreme positions. Sadly, it continues to work.

Every well known celebrity and sports star gets shit thrown at them daily,  you just don’t hear about it.  I’m sure it’s not nice getting death threats sent to you via letters and email. There are plenty of famous dicks out there, but sometimes you catch people on bad days. They have their own personal issues they are dealing with also. Money doesn’t solve most of life’s problems. People forget that.

3 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

I can't help but read your post, Keith, and by the end simply want to ask 'why do you care?'

And I don't mean that in a 'fuck you' kind of way at all. I just have never understood celebrity culture, which I think is one of the parents of cancel culture.

But if you want to know what I think, I have some vague ideas that anyone who is either well-loved or largely despised will incite in a small group of contrarians the opposite feeling. There is a certain kind of power that comes with expressing thoughts and feelings that run counter to what is commonly held. And in the world of online 'journalism,' you can try to get your content to stand apart, and get attention, by taking extreme positions. Sadly, it continues to work.

It isn't that I care about Ellen specifically, or that I care about celebrities or politicians generally, its that it seems so unfair. So call it empathy. If you ignore injustice that doesn't affect you directly today... well you know how it goes.

19 minutes ago, boogieman said:

😂you mean this isn’t because she was sitting and laughing at the game with W? 😂

I read this comment three times before I understood it.  I thought you were referencing an episode of her show where she was playing Warioworld or something.

It bothers me that people think the solution to handling differences between people is to ignore, hate, sidestep, mock, malign, and fight rather than empathize and relate. You know what makes Republicans accept gay people? Having gay people in their life. 

3 hours ago, foogledricks said:

It isn't that I care about Ellen specifically, or that I care about celebrities or politicians generally, its that it seems so unfair. So call it empathy. If you ignore injustice that doesn't affect you directly today... well you know how it goes.

Saying it’s unjust assumes the stories are false, which we cannot really know, short of spending (wasting) an enormous amount of time and energy investigating.

Or maybe you believe they could be true but are being blown out of proportion. Well, welcome to celebrity, where the celebrities themselves are larger than life. Big 2D facades of whatever on-screen face they put on. One thing is for sure, celebrities don’t become such by just being themselves. They put on a show, they play to the audience. It’s not who they are, but a lot of people buy into it, and are crushed when their hero turns out to have the same flaws everyone has.

But it doesn’t become a “thing” until someone decides to unmask the terrible truth by writing an exposé. The worse the “crimes” of the celebrity, the better. The juicier and more hurtful the details (and the more squeaky-clean the given celebrity’s rep) the more likely it is to spread across the internet. 

To me the root of the problem is the outright adoration of celebrity itself. It starts the cycle you are bemoaning. It encourages “fans” to believe that these people must be better than the rest of us. And it sets up the bullshit narrative of the “fall from grace.” Bullshit because celebrities don’t deserve to be on any kind of pedestal in the first place. 

This isn’t to say that there aren’t some genuinely shocking truths that come to light about celebrities because “we thought we knew who they were” - Bill Cosby comes to mind. I grew up watching him and never really questioned the wholesome image he thrived on. So even someone as, lets say “realistic,” as me can buy into the celebrity BS.

But that’s an extreme example, in contrast to what you outlined in your first post. Those all sound like things that could very well be true, perhaps tweaked slightly to be more cutting. And in the context of a take-down of America’s Nicest Lesbian, might seem terrible. But in most other contexts, they would be barely interesting gossip about a co-worker, or your friend’s wife...yeah her. That anyone cares so much is because they allowed themselves to be duped into thinking Ellen or Portia are better humans than everyone else.

7 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

Saying it’s unjust assumes the stories are false, which we cannot really know, short of spending (wasting) an enormous amount of time and energy investigating.

Or maybe you believe they could be true but are being blown out of proportion. Well, welcome to celebrity, where the celebrities themselves are larger than life. Big 2D facades of whatever on-screen face they put on. One thing is for sure, celebrities don’t become such by just being themselves. They put on a show, they play to the audience. It’s not who they are, but a lot of people buy into it, and are crushed when their hero turns out to have the same flaws everyone has.

But it doesn’t become a “thing” until someone decides to unmask the terrible truth by writing an exposé. The worse the “crimes” of the celebrity, the better. The juicier and more hurtful the details (and the more squeaky-clean the given celebrity’s rep) the more likely it is to spread across the internet. 

To me the root of the problem is the outright adoration of celebrity itself. It starts the cycle you are bemoaning. It encourages “fans” to believe that these people must be better than the rest of us. And it sets up the bullshit narrative of the “fall from grace.” Bullshit because celebrities don’t deserve to be on any kind of pedestal in the first place. 

This isn’t to say that there aren’t some genuinely shocking truths that come to light about celebrities because “we thought we knew who they were” - Bill Cosby comes to mind. I grew up watching him and never really questioned the wholesome image he thrived on. So even someone as, lets say “realistic,” as me can buy into the celebrity BS.

But that’s an extreme example, in contrast to what you outlined in your first post. Those all sound like things that could very well be true, perhaps tweaked slightly to be more cutting. And in the context of a take-down of America’s Nicest Lesbian, might seem terrible. But in most other contexts, they would be barely interesting gossip about a co-worker, or your friend’s wife...yeah her. That anyone cares so much is because they allowed themselves to be duped into thinking Ellen or Portia are better humans than everyone else.

OK. I can't disagree with anything that you said. And yes, I think it is unjust because everything used as evidence against her is so flimsy. Either it is completely untrue, embellished, or weak even if it is true.

I just think that the fact that folks get so wrapped up in the lives of celebrities enables other people to take advantage by trying to manufacture outrage when a given celeb does something stupid. And let's be honest, it's never been easier to incite outrage than it is now. Why that is the case is a real conundrum. I think the internet itself plays a role, where you can create an entire social world that only mirrors ones own. This has never been so easy. So when you encounter something different, it can be a bit of a shock. And I think what's happening is people are hijacking that sense of shock, fomenting it into flames (look no further than Mr Watson above). There is little attempt to understand other opinions now, just to berate at volume to an audience of mirrors. The more noise you make, the more attention you're liable to get. It's now to the point where vociferousness is mistaken for insight. It's true of a lot of folks on every side.

It may sound like, because I analyze the current state of things this way, that I am immune or above it all. That isn't the case. A social bubble that is a mirror is a comforting thing, no doubt. But what I do have is an intensely skeptical mind (for better and worse), and so even when I read people spouting ideas that align with my own, I can't help but begin to ruminate on the opposite viewpoint...especially when the ideas are clearly caricatures and oversimplifications, which is very common. For me, there is an inverse correlation between the slickness, vociferousness, and volume (including ALL CAPS MEMES) used to convey an argument and the likelihood I will take it at face value.

13 minutes ago, rustyjaw said:

It may sound like, because I analyze the current state of things this way, that I am immune or above it all. That isn't the case. A social bubble that is a mirror is a comforting thing, no doubt. But what I do have is an intensely skeptical mind (for better and worse), and so even when I read people spouting ideas that align with my own, I can't help but begin to ruminate on the opposite viewpoint...especially when the ideas are clearly caricatures and oversimplifications, which is very common. For me, there is an inverse correlation between the slickness, vociferousness, and volume (including ALL CAPS MEMES) used to convey an argument and the likelihood I will take it at face value.

This paragraph (above) reminded me of pretty woman ( only replace Vivian with RustyJaw, and everything after Vivian with something that makes more sense).

Pretty Woman is Not About Hookers | Leah Rose