LCVG

Gears Tactics (PC now, xbox later)

ChrisBardon

Anyone else tried Gears Tactics yet?  I've only played a little of it so far (first mission), but yeah, it's about what you'd expect (Xcom crossed with GOW).  So far a couple of interesting mechanics though-they have the overwatch concept, but it's got a variable (and visible to enemies) vision cone, plus it activates for however many actions you dedicate to it.  I can see that getting interesting later on in the game with some flanking moves/cover areas.  It's also included with Gamepass, so that's a plus as well. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/gears-tactics-review/

Gears Tactics' structure couldn't quite sustain the 25 hours or so it took me to get through the campaign, but slap the combat into a sequel with a couple more strategic systems that balance out the variety and pacing, and I'd honestly rather play it over XCOM, a recommendation I never expected I'd make.

So skip the side missions, play just through the campaign. I'll follow that advice. I felt the same about Wargroove's side missions. Which I think I'm going to stop playing in favor of this. This game just screams "Keith, you're gonna love this." Sounds like I now have two tactics game franchises to be excited about.

Friggin bugs. I instructed my guy to do a crucial execution, but he got stuck on the geometry, ran in place for 10 seconds, I lost my AP. Next turn I wasted an AP to get him out of the stuck position but that didn't work. Character was stuck for the rest of the mission, running in place. He could still shoot though so I survived. But so frustrating.

Just finished the first boss encounter today, and that was way harder than the rest of the game so far.  When you can set things up just so to take down a bunch of locust, it's incredibly satisfying.  Grenades seem crazy overpowered at this point though, especially on being able to take out wretches.  I think I got 5 in one shot earlier...

There's also just a little too much loot to sort through and micro-upgrade, but I like the way they surface what's new.  It's also getting to the point where it's forcing you to diversify beyond the hero characters a little bit, but I do already have my favourite band of regulars now, so I'll probably stick with them when I can.  For the most part, this translation works incredibly well.

2 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Just finished the first boss encounter today, and that was way harder than the rest of the game so far.  When you can set things up just so to take down a bunch of locust, it's incredibly satisfying.  Grenades seem crazy overpowered at this point though, especially on being able to take out wretches.  I think I got 5 in one shot earlier...

There's also just a little too much loot to sort through and micro-upgrade, but I like the way they surface what's new.  It's also getting to the point where it's forcing you to diversify beyond the hero characters a little bit, but I do already have my favourite band of regulars now, so I'll probably stick with them when I can.  For the most part, this translation works incredibly well.

I'm exactly where you are. And agree with everything you said. I do love us using executions strategically.  Not as good as Xcom, but still really good.

Is there a way to pick up a case in a mission without stopping?  I figured out you can ctrl+click to set a waypoint, but if you set one on a case, you'll just walk on top of it and then keep going.   Would be nice to be able to hit those as part of a more fluid movement.

8 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Is there a way to pick up a case in a mission without stopping?  I figured out you can ctrl+click to set a waypoint, but if you set one on a case, you'll just walk on top of it and then keep going.   Would be nice to be able to hit those as part of a more fluid movement.

You need the hand icon to be visible as confirmation that your action is going to actually pick up the case. Otherwise you're just running near it or on it and not actually picking it up. And if you have any action points left over after that you can perform more actions.  But no, you can't do a drive-by pick-up. 

Most of the time though, picking up something won't waste AP, unless it is in the opposite direction you need to go.  I find that loot cases tend to have a bit of risk/reward decision baked into them.

There is a range between action points, so every time you choose your end point, you're most likely throwing away some percentage of distance to land on a particular wall or in this case, a loot case. That is a big part of strategy for me, especially if the final objective is to get from here to there.

Yeah, that's the issue-sometimes there's a case that's between where I am and where I want to be, so instead of picking it up en route, you have to stop and grab it on the way, which means a lower total movement.  If that's the design, then that's fine, I just wasn't sure if there was a way around that restriction.  Again, you're usually just getting some incremental piece of gear to sort through, but the fact remains that it's a thing to get in the game, so I'll probably go after it. 

Finished act 2, and there are a couple of things that I really wish I'd known going in:

-You can set waypoints with ctrl+click to pathfind around hazards

-If a unit is downed (but not dead) when a mission ends, they aren't revived, they die (happened to me on the 2nd boss fight).  Wasn't a big deal, since it was a random recruit, but still, I would have revived him before the kill shot if I'd known that. 

Otherwise, this is a really good tactics game.  Some of the missions are starting to get a little repetitive, and I still think the flood of gear is a little overwhelming, but it's definitely worth a look.  Been playing on my laptop, which has been giving me grief with the performance being all over the place based on switchable graphics (I think).  It's reminding me why I stopped trying to keep a high end PC up and running for gaming.  I spend enough time fighting with PCs in my day job, when I want to play a game, I just want the games to work :)

11 hours ago, ChrisBardon said:

Finished act 2, and there are a couple of things that I really wish I'd known going in:

-You can set waypoints with ctrl+click to pathfind around hazards

-If a unit is downed (but not dead) when a mission ends, they aren't revived, they die (happened to me on the 2nd boss fight).  Wasn't a big deal, since it was a random recruit, but still, I would have revived him before the kill shot if I'd known that. 

Otherwise, this is a really good tactics game.  Some of the missions are starting to get a little repetitive, and I still think the flood of gear is a little overwhelming, but it's definitely worth a look.  Been playing on my laptop, which has been giving me grief with the performance being all over the place based on switchable graphics (I think).  It's reminding me why I stopped trying to keep a high end PC up and running for gaming.  I spend enough time fighting with PCs in my day job, when I want to play a game, I just want the games to work :)

I'm a few missions into Act 2 myself. Really enjoying this game. I'm playing on the PC, but I'm using a controller.

1. Controller works great, though this game seems to want you to use a mouse and keyboard. It is constantly switching to keyboard mode (i.e. the prompts on screen are keyboard prompts), but then as soon as I touch  the controller it switches back to a controller interface. There doesn't seem to be any practical issues with this, it is just a little weird. 
  2. I agree that the side missions can be retreads (e.g. there is a map type where bombs chase you forward while you have to pick up cases , kill bad guys, and get to the extraction point). Almost as if they're multiplayer modes that you're playing rather than part of a compaign.
  3. It is a grind to go through each of my guys equipment categories after every round to see if there is anything new that can be equipped. To the point where I only do that for my top 6 people and ignore the other guys.
  4. The UI is good about communicating what's new and better by putting it at the top. 

As someone who loves XCom, Divinity Original Sin, and even that Rabbids tactical game, it is cool to have another such game on my list. This definitely belongs on the list.

You know, I'm starting to wonder what the point is of leveling up recruits.  The game throws you into situations where you need to use more than your core characters, since you'll have to do x/N side missions, and can't use the same units for more than one.  This is good, in that it forces you to expand and experiment a bit, although you can still make units basically clones of each other if you want.  Where it seems to break is that you almost always have new units that you can recruit, which seem to start at the same level as your hero units, so I can either take the level 2 scout on a mission that I haven't used in ages, or just delete them and take on a level 6 scout that I can outfit with all their gear.  Makes the recruits you get all the more expendable I suppose? 

The system where units are down but not out also makes it really easy to cheese the game.  I actually downed one of my own units with a grenade yesterday to win a mission because he was surrounded by 4 enemies.  Blew everyone up, and then Cole stood right back up, finished off the one remaining locust, and won the scenario :)

If it helps, the game only has 3 acts, and the end of act 3 ramps the challenge up significantly.  The last set of side missions are really tough.  Just beat the main campaign-not sure if I'll go through and play any of the extra scenarios it unlocks, but it looks like there's more there.  Had it been longer I might not have finished, but once I found out how close to the end I was, I just powered through the end.  Really good first attempt at this, but could have used some more map and mission variety.  Honestly, I think it would have been better with just a core group of characters, so more of a tactical RPG than an X-Com like.