LCVG

Void Bastards

ChrisBardon

Has anyone else tried out Void Bastards?  It's a neat Roguelike shooter where you're scavenging spaceships for parts with a really neat comic book art style.  It's on Gamepass for Xbox, and it's been on my radar for a while now (since it came out last year I think).  Finally got a chance to try it out, and it definitely scratches that Rogue Legacy itch with the upgrade loop.  You keep most of your upgrades/stuff between runs, so you're always progressing, but it also has the random genetic traits similar to RL (although you can alter them in some cases).  The game is as much about avoiding combat as shooting, since resources are scarce.  I'm not sure whether there's an end to it per se, but it's been fun so far.  Made it as far as the first "main" objective, along with a bunch of equipment upgrades that have definitely helped.  I realized too late that the upgrades you can buy in some of the ships for your health aren't permanent, but other than that I think I have the idea of what they're throwing in so far.  See where it goes next.

Yeah, I'm getting that impression.  I finished the second "main" objective last night, and also unlocked a new weapon.  Then I realized that you don't necessarily start with ammo for everything, and the Toaster, while powerful, has very limited ammo, and is not near as effective as the Stapler (which reminds me of the UT Flack Cannon).  I'm still going after upgrades for some of the items, and getting the health boosts has really helped runs be a little longer.  So far the only enemy progression has been introducing those stupid floating clusters of heads, and irradiated versions of the other enemies, and the Spooks are showing up more often.

And done.  The game really does devolve into a bunch of dice rolls near the end.  Some runs you have everything working out in your favour, and some...you just don't.  I found that starting out a new run was probably the most precarious part of the game, since you don't start off with a ton of resources, so if you happen to have a bad couple of draws in the first few ships, you're basically aiming to start over.  I eventually just mainlined the items I needed for the last action item (instead of hunting more upgrades), although the weapon upgrades helped a whole lot.  Really inventive take on the rogue-lite formula though, with a lot of progress saved between runs.

Congrats! :)

I found that starting out a new run was probably the most precarious part of the game

Yeah with a lot of rogue-likes, knowing when to quit + start over instead of trying to persevere some bads runs can save a bunch of wasted effort. I'm guilty of still persevering, personally. 

Hitting a couple of ships where one of the enemy types was an ally made things significantly easier (hence the dice roll comment).  Once it was those big guards (screws) and once it was those enemies with the invincible shields.  Hacking turrets was also a good strategy for a while, but those get to be really expensive...  What seemed to work a little better mid/late game was moving back up to the easier levels to fill up on the basics (food/fuel/ammo) rather than staying where they started you.  That, and avoiding those floating head clusters like the plague-those things were a huge ammo suck...