LCVG

World of WarCraft Beta

Chris F

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be signing up as soon as its available. WOW is the last bastion of hope for me for the MMO genre. If it doesn't capture me than I really need to take a long break. The only MMO I really plan to look at past WOW is True Fantasy but I'll tell ya, the plethor of PC MMO's are completely blah to me (though Middle Earth Online floats the boat but more for the license the the actual game).

We'll have to wait and see.

I'm not really a fan of MMORPGs, or even RPGs for that matter, but I have high hopes for WOW and cannot wait to try it out. The preview in CGW a few month back really made it sound fantastic.

Hopefully they'll do the "share your key with 5 friends" thing they did with War3. Someone I know usually gets in, and that would really help in forming groups of players to take on the dungeons.

Originally posted by DrunkOM@Jan 7 2004, 09:51 PM

Hopefully they'll do the "share your key with 5 friends" thing they did with War3. Someone I know usually gets in, and that would really help in forming groups of players to take on the dungeons.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. I really can't see that model working for an MMORPG...

Stranger things have happened, though...

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're talking about...

I'm talking about the beta test, there's no price involved.

During the Warcraft 3 beta they opened it up a bit by letting people who were already in the beta share their keys with up to 5 friends so that they'd have more people on the servers testing and playing games. Since there would be a few people that you know playing the game, you didn't have to do as much looking for players (the "optimatch" features for BNet were not working at the time) and you could actually sit down and test different strategies or look for bugs without having to worry about your opponent being an asshat just wanting to use the latest super strategy to wipe you out.

A similar strategy for the WOW would work well since they are encouraging the formation of guilds and the dungeons are created specifically for a part of players, some of which can aparently take days to clear. If you've got friends in the game already, then this become a much easier thing to test.

Originally posted by DrunkOM@Jan 8 2004, 01:02 PM

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're talking about...

I'm talking about the beta test, there's no price involved.

Gotcha. Thought you were talking about the retail release.

Now it makes more sense. I'd like to see that, too... :)

• 3 weeks later...

I looked at registering from here at work but since it needs to be from your play computer I waited til I got home. Finished the process with no hassles last night. I know the sign-up ends on Wednesday but any guesses when the notices will go out? I guess Blizzard will make some announcement when that happens.

• 2 weeks later...