LCVG

Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Starhawk

• 4 months later...

Eurogamer.de has noted that Valhalla will be 4K/60 on the PS5. Following logic, it should be the same on the Series X as well. 

https://www.eurogamer.de/amp/assassins-creed-valhalla-wird-auf-der-ps5-in-4k60-laufen

Translation:

(I would still take any notion of a full 4K resolution on either box with a grain of salt. Reconstruction techniques aren't going anywhere.)

According to a current report from Ubisoft, Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, release on November 10, 2020, will not only run in 4K on the PS5, but also with 60 frames. And full 4K resolution, as you emphasize, which you can expect. The days of checkerboard 4K should be over for now. Although, there is always a balance between resolution, frames, how nice the game is and how stupid - or not even stupid - the AI. Based on what has been played, the AI seems to be on the usual level and even if Valhalla is optically a small jump to the predecessor Origins in places, there should still be enough of the new console power left to be able to present everything here in 4K60. Meanwhile, every TV buyer in recent years has a 4K TV.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s still there but so minimal I’m not sure why they bother. They might just be better off throwing in some cutscenes and leaving the little bit of playable crap out of it.

That does look incredible. Still think it is a sale title for me. Ubisoft games go on sale so quickly, I wouldn’t be surprised to be able to get the gold edition in 3-4 months for $40.

14 hours ago, Romier S said:

So have they all but dropped the real world shit at this point?

Probably not. I ignore that stuff. Odyssey was so damn good, I have high hopes for this game. And I heard yesterday that this game is story wise broken into episodes. Rather than one huge long story, it is broken up. That sounds like a brilliant idea. Sounds like Dragon Warrior IV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read a review this morning. Sounds like it is great. I'm not sure whether their tweaks will be all good, bad, or in-between. I tend to get lost in open world games. I don't mean literally lost, but lost in purpose. I have a hard time focusing enough to feel I'm moving or accomplishing anything. Odyssey however was the best open world experience I've ever had. So it is weird. Making it more linear would generally be a good thing in this type of game ... for me. But since I loved Odyssey so much, I'm not sure how I'll feel about it.

Either way, this a Miles are my two games I'm excited about.

Just read the Kotaku review as well, and it sounds like this one worked out.  Seeing it was set up to be more linear had me a little worried, since some of the best stuff in Odyssey was the multi-level side quests that you just stumbled on (the minotaur!) in the world.  It sounds like some of that is still there, just not as drawn out as before, so hopefully that just means more of the good stuff. 

16 minutes ago, OldDarth said:

ACG's review is less kind and opens with a hilarious bug - one of many apparently:

Wow, that was thorough. I didn't watch the whole thing. Bugs get fixed, so I'm not concerned with that. But him saying he didn't enjoy the combat is troubling. I loved the combat in Odyssey. But he does say there seems to be a disagreement about whether the combat is good or bad. So hopefully I fallin the good column.

12 minutes ago, Dan B. said:

Am I thinking about buying two Ubisoft games at launch?

Could even be three before the end of the year.  This, Watch Dogs, and Immortals all look like they could be good.  I'm surprised too.  Not going to pay full price for more than one though.  Wait for the inevitable sale, or at least hold off until you're done with the first one, unless you can see bouncing back and forth between a couple of big ass open world games.