Assassin's Creed Valhalla

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The internet is a brutal place....  

She's OK, but the voice actor sounds a little like a chain smoker.  I've been playing with the "default" option for around 7 hrs now, and haven't had an opportunity to change and see what the other VO

Buy 2 Get 1 free at Target right now with this in it lol  

14 hours ago, Mark E said:

I really liked the flyting, am not great at drinking, and do not quite understand the dice game yet.

The flyting is really kind of like the Monkey Island insult swordfighting, and it's great.  It also has the benefit of unlocking extra dialog in a few places, which has already come in handy.  For the dice game, the AI seems to base its picks on what gets it god favours, which are regular symbols with the dashed line around them.  Not a terrible idea to build these up, but not at the expense of everything else. 

Looks like a performance differential in some areas in favor of PS5. Some camera judder issues on XSX even when the output is 60FPS (i.e the judder is not coming from dropping frames, it's coming from the game camera movement itself for some reason. VRR eliminates the tears of course in XSX if you have it.

Tradeoffs, tradeoffs....

scale GIF

46 minutes ago, Romier S said:

In all seriousness, there’s nothing there a patch can’t fix. Not sure why they would use adaptive vsync and have the tearing in the center of the screen. We’ve seen plenty of titles use adaptive vsync last generation that relegated the tearing to the top of the screen where it’s far less noticeable.

It depends on how big of a deadline miss it is. The closer to the top, the closer to the target refresh rate. So if your refresh rate is 60 HZ, then dips to 45 FPS will be around the middle of the screen.

3 minutes ago, Mark E said:

Okay, that dumbass side quest to help the two raiders rekindle their sex life is up their with the funnier quests this series has done.

There some funny ones in Odyssey that had me on the floor. Shark eating the Olympics guy. Quest where woman jumps off a cliff. Blind guy with bad luck.

2 hours ago, Mark E said:

Okay, that dumbass side quest to help the two raiders rekindle their sex life is up their with the funnier quests this series has done.

I don't think I found that one yet.  One of the best ones I've seen so far is just this simple exchange you have with someone who doesn't realize that he has an axe stuck in his skull.  Lots of fun bits of story to discover that's making me comb back over the map for those points of interest to see what's there. 

21 hours ago, Mark E said:

Finally got to England this evening and unlocked the best thing they introduced in Odyssey. I’m very excited to see it return in this one :).

Yeah, I haven't done much on there yet because I wanted to get to a higher power level first.  I was starting to clear out a bunch of Norway stuff, and then I remembered the "get out of the hinterlands" argument, so advanced at least a little more.  I'm up to 3 of the main quest paths cleared (3 different map areas) as well as a whole pile of other random stuff.  Looks like you can go back to Norway if you want though, just select the Atlas on the menu. 

A little annoying that clearing off the skill tree (and then refunding the skills) doesn't permanently remove the clouds.  Given that you can refund everything, they might as well just reveal the whole thing at once so you know what to work to.  Hiding the nodes only really makes sense if there's a consequence to going down the wrong path. 

Hit a couple of nasty glitches too-some of the Animus Anomalies have broken to the point where you couldn't interact with required items.  I've also seen reports of corrupt saves, so I've been rotating through 10 or 12 hard save slots periodically. 

I had a weird encounter with a very smelly house that I couldn’t interact with and wonder if that was a similar glitch issue...

I did one of the board quests to get a taste for it and barely squeaked it with my skin intact. I definitely like the progression better in this one - Odyssey kind of overpowers you super fast and I think the balance here is better so far.

And yes, I left and returned to Norway briefly (there’s a grudge match in a cave I need way better skills and gear for) as well. No, I think striking out rather than clearing every damn thing is a smart way to go.

My completionist side hates it, but it keeps things from bogging down.

3 hours ago, Mark E said:

I had a weird encounter with a very smelly house that I couldn’t interact with and wonder if that was a similar glitch issue...

You should definitely be able to do something there, if it's the house I'm thinking of.  Torches burn poison cloud away.  I also figured out that the incendiary arrow skill you get early on basically gives you bomb arrows, which can destroy those rock walls that you needed the oil jars to break before.  Very useful for exploration!

So far, basic mobs are pretty easy, but bosses are much, much harder.  Figuring out the parry timing seems to help though-I almost never use this except on bosses, mostly because the regular enemies are dying in 2-3 hits. 

I'd heard good things about the heavy dual wield skill, but it seems to make swinging a big axe even slower.  Sticking with just the 2 hander for now.  I did get the ability that lets you throw weapons that enemies drop, which is great when you can actually chain attacks with it. 

Yes, I noticed after doing the quest with the two idiots and their mother’s axe that the game actually wants you to use your abilities to solve problems, which I am not against.

Between that and the catacombs (I had to laugh that even the damn snakes are back) there’s enough puzzle solving there for my liking.

I’m pushing into my first new area after establishing the settlement, ticking off towers and some of the mysteries and wealth, etc, on the way. I’m getting better at combat, but I wish the blending in mechanic was a little more straightforward - I’m finding it clunky to get used to.