LCVG

E3 replacement? - Summer Game Fest

Starhawk

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Interesting. Hope part of it involves a number of demos being made available. 

From the web site "Bringing the world together to celebrate video games from the comfort of home. Summer Game Fest is a season of digital video game events from publishers, select playable content, in-game events, and more to be announced."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 6/10/2021 at 2:01 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Starting now you nerds! Games n' junk. 

I'm surprised how much I dug the kickoff.  Very few of the trailers were really my kind of thing, but there was tons of stuff, nothing really overstayed its welcome, and there's just something about the overall vibe I found irresistible (especially Geoff's aw-shucks wide-eyed earnestness).  I definitely had a better time with this than last summer's event, and I'd probably say I liked it more than the past couple of Game Awards too.

The IGN Expo is the only other event I've watched live so far, which was pretty dire.  Not an especially inspired slate of reveals, some microwaved leftovers from Kickoff, and hosts that are really just...thank you, but no, not for me.  None of the gaming blogs/sites I follow even bothered with a recap, and I can't say I blame 'em.

I skimmed through Day of the Devs and Tribeca Games Spotlight, and I probably ought to watch them in full at some point.  Tribeca was one I didn't expect much from, but it looks phenomenal.  Nice focus, terrific blend of making-of footage / insight along with the expected gameplay and interviews...and every single title caught my eye.  And I'm fascinated to see more than one stop-motion-based game between these two events!

Sounds like I didn't miss anything by skipping the Koch snoozefest.  I'll probably fast-forward through today's Ubi showcase and tomorrow's Squenix thing.  I'm planning on watching Xbox/Bethesa live tomorrow, though.

There wasn't a lot game wise that leapt out at me either (Elden Ring is just another great From Software game I'll never play), but there was probably something for everyone there and I definitely came away from it feeling as if Keighley has hit his stride with this too. 

I actually need to dig deeper into what was shown on Day of the Devs as there was quite a lot there that caught my attention. 

Poor Ubisoft!  I think Avatar was the only reveal that hadn't leaked, since the Far Cry 6 DLC was shown off in a YouTube ad, Nintendo listed the Mario + Rabbids sequel on their store, and Gibson sent out an email about Rocksmith+ earlier.

1 hour ago, JoeyN said:

im on discord, if anyone wants to chat

Sorry I wasn't on. After so many years Ubisoft's shows are not something I can fully engage in. I just throw them on as background noise while doing other things and usually wait for anything interesting that they almost always save for the end (true enough again here with Mario+Rabbids and Avatar).

10 minutes ago, Adam Tyner said:

Poor Ubisoft!  I think Avatar was the only reveal that hadn't leaked, since the Far Cry 6 DLC was shown off in a YouTube ad, Nintendo listed the Mario + Rabbids sequel on their store, and Gibson sent out an email about Rocksmith+ earlier.

Oh God. I didn't know about all the other leaks in addition to Mario+Rabbids.  

Microsoft/Bethesda followed by Square tomorrow! (PC show too).