LCVG

Cancelled Prince of Persia game video has been out there for 8 years...someone finally noticed.

Romier S

47 minutes ago, Romier S said:

and it just makes me realize how much I miss the Prince of Persia series. Sands of Time is one of that generations best games, IMO.

The thing that pisses me off about Ubisoft more than anything at this point is all the great IP they own that they're just sitting on:

• Prince of Persia — Most recent entry: Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (2010). No word on any new entries.
  • Splinter Cell — Most recent entry: Splinter Cell: Blacklist (2013). No word on any new entries.
  • Rayman — Most recent entry (not counting mobile games): Rayman Legends (2013). No word on any new entries.
  • Beyond Good & Evil — Most recent entry: Beyond Good & Evil (2003). Apparently, a sequel in the works, but who knows when or if it will ever come out.

These were all franchises that I absolutely adore. I would buy sequels to any of them in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, Ubisoft seems interested in making one type of game these days: open world sandbox games. I get it — that genre is really popular, but it would be nice to see them do something else for change, preferably with one of the franchises listed above.

Anyway, that trailer looked pretty cool. Obviously it's not actual gameplay — more like this is what we hope gameplay to be like in the finished product — but it looked like there were some cool new ideas on display.

They don't actually own Prince of Persia + have to pay a licencing fee for it, I wonder if that's part of the problem with it. They've got a ridiculously long term/good relationship with Tom Clancy's group, which clearly works well for both sides, but I don't know their relationship with Jordan Mechner. 

Ubi's made it clear they're changing strategies for next gen, again FWIW. 

32 minutes ago, foogledricks said:

A 2D Rayman would be a great $29.99 title to have in the mix for Xbox Series X launch. Great coop games.

Or every platform? Why limit it to the just the X? Third party exclusives need to die in a fire in general.

It sucks that Xbox owners can't play the FF7 remake for a year and it sucked when Playstation owners couldn't play the Tomb Raider sequel due to exclusivity money hats.

In some rare cases where a game simply wouldn't exist without funding from a platform holder  (Shenmue III and even then that's dicey given the crowd funding), I won't bitch too much about it but its a trend I don't want to see increased....

2 hours ago, dogbert said:

They don't actually own Prince of Persia + have to pay a licencing fee for it, I wonder if that's part of the problem with it. They've got a ridiculously long term/good relationship with Tom Clancy's group, which clearly works well for both sides, but I don't know their relationship with Jordan Mechner. 

Fair enough. Can I still be mad at them about those other franchises? I’m on the Internet, so I have to be mad about something.

2 hours ago, dogbert said:

Ubi's made it clear they're changing strategies for next gen, again FWIW. 

I’ve heard this too. I don’t necessarily assume that it means we’ll see some of these franchises return as a result though. It would be nice, but I’m not holding my breath.

2 hours ago, Romier S said:

Or every platform? Why limit it to the just the X? Third party exclusives need to die in a fire in general.

Given what happened with Rayman Legends, which was originally slated to be a Wii U launch title until Ubisoft decided at the last minute to delay the release so that it could come to all other platforms at the same time, I don’t think this would be a concern.

I was just thinking about Pandora Tomorrow multiplayer yesterday. I was obsessed with that for awhile. I miss those days where I actually wanted to play multiplayer games (and could). 

Covak was god mode at that game. 

I also miss Price of Persia. I’m a big fan of many of those games.