LCVG

EA doing its own version of cross-buy in the next generation.

Romier S

Microsoft is pushing their smart delivery stuff next gen which is basically cross-buy and something that Sony has done for awhile during the PS3/Vita generation. Most third parties are hopping onboard. That is except for EA who has decided to do their own version.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/7/21250334/xbox-series-x-free-games-smart-delivery-one-upgrade-list-ea

Third-party studios like Ubisoft, Sega, and Bandai Namco Entertainment are backing Microsoft’s Smart Delivery upgrades, but there’s one big exception: EA. While EA unveiled Madden NFL 21 for the Xbox Series X today, the company is not pledging its commitment to supporting Smart Delivery. Instead, EA is offering its own free upgrade offer, but only if players purchase Madden NFL 21 on Xbox One by December 31st and upgrade to Xbox Series X by March 31st, 2021.

i.e. its more limited than what Microsoft is pimping at the moment. We'll see what kind of solution Sony brings to the table as well.

That's a whole lot more limited.  I suppose only for Madden right now since that's the only thing they announced, but I wonder if that'll be the case for more things going forward?

Think any 3p will do cross-platform entitlements as well?  MS does this on Xbox/PC for some stuff, so either Xbox/PC, PS5/PC, or even PS5/Xbox/PC?  F2P has kind of planted the seed here for in game purchases (except for platform exclusives), and I can't imagine the number of people who would take advantage of this would be huge, but it's also something to get out in front of as a pro-consumer move. 

If it's using the same tech as they have for PlayAnywhere and their cross save stuff, then it seems to work well for current Xbox-PC stuff. 

58 minutes ago, dogbert said:

Weren't a number of PS3->PS4 upgrades handled like that by third parties? Thinking Ubisoft with Black Flag. 

I thought that was a discounted upgrade though (10 bucks or something)?