LCVG

The Medium - Bloober Team, psychological horror and Akira Yamaoka scoring... [SeriesX/PC, PS5] - Coming to PS5 in September now

Romier S

• 2 months later...

I think we're sure to see more of this today. 

apps.png

apps.png

apps.png

BECOME A MEDIUM

Wield unique psychic abilities reserved for those with the gift. Travel between the realities or explore them both at the very same time. Use the Out of Body experience to investigate places where your real-world self can’t go. Create energy shields and deliver powerful spirit blasts to survive the spirit world and its otherworldly dangers.

SEE WHAT’S HIDDEN

Delve deep into a mature and morally ambiguous story, where nothing is what it seems and everything has another side. As a medium you see, hear and experience more than others, and with every new perspective you will change your perception on what happened at the Niwa resort.

PLAY IN TWO WORLDS AT THE SAME TIME

Never-seen-before and officially patented gameplay that plays out across two worlds displayed at the same time. Explore the physical world and the spirit world simultaneously, and use the interactions between them to solve dual-reality puzzles, unlock new paths, and awaken memories of past events.

ENTER A DARK REALITY INSPIRED BY BEKSIŃSKI

The Medium’s spirit world is a dark mirror reflection of our reality, a grim and unsettling place where our unpunished deeds, evil urges, and vile secrets manifest themselves and can take on a form. This world has been invented and designed under the inspiration of Zdzisław Beksiński’s paintings, Polish dystopian surrealist internationally recognized for his distinctive and strikingly ominous style.

MUSIC BY YAMAOKA & REIKOWSKI

Immerse yourself in the disturbing and oppressive atmosphere of the game thanks to the original ‘dual’ soundtrack co-created by Akira Yamaoka and Arkadiusz Reikowski. Yamaoka-san is a legendary Japanese composer best known for his work on the Silent Hill series; Reikowski is a Hollywood Music in Media Awards nominee who worked on such acclaimed horror games as Blair Witch, Layers of Fear, and Observer. Now they join their creative forces for the music and songs of The Medium.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/the-medium/9nfsr96g6k4n?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Bloober seem like a developer with real potential, but have really yet to prove themselves. It'd be nice if they pull this off. The control over gameplay in two worlds at the same time definitely gives it an edge of originality over just being a mere Silent Hill inspired affair.

Why in gods name would you not do that exact demo at your big game showcase? That was more interesting and visually appealing than a lot of the CG trailer shit we got!

I really hope Bloober Team pulls it off. Love what I’m seeing of the art direction and puzzle driven gameplay.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Romier S changed the title to The Medium - Bloober Team, psychological horror and Akira Yamaoka scoring... [SeriesX/PC] - Releasing December 10th, 2020
4 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

Neat!  I'm not usually a big horror game person, but this looks like a cool mechanic, and the price is right, so I'll probably check it out!

According to the Xbox Store, the price is $49.99.

Or if you have Game Pass, you can just download it and play for free. 🙂

• 4 weeks later...
  • Romier S changed the title to The Medium - Bloober Team, psychological horror and Akira Yamaoka scoring... [SeriesX/PC] - Releasing January 28th, 2021
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m probably 3-4 hours in at this point and I’m digging the hell out of it. I have caveats but generally this is a really interesting throwback horror/adventure that has more in common with a point and click adventure game than a modern horror title. Add in Resident Evil style fixed camera angles just to top off the nostalgia trip and I’m finding it very difficult to resist the vibe this game is putting out there. It’s heavily puzzle and exploration driven, the art direction is superb and the story has enough going to make me want to see what’s going to happen next.

As the first true Series X exclusive, it’s an uneven visual experience. Primarily due to the character models and associated facial animation letting the overall visual package down. That along with a noticeable drop in resolution when the split screen segments occur and some unfortunate texture loading problems present some other noticeable issues. Despite that, the environments and atmosphere shine through. The opening segments in the woods were particularly awe inspiring and the spirit realm is just beautifully realized (in a strange way). It’s good to see the Series X get a chance to flex its muscles on a true exclusive.

I reserve any final judgements until I’ve completed the game but this is easily Bloober Teams most consistent and entertaining experience thus far. I truly hope they can keep this going and nail this thing to the end. I’ve been very pleasantly surprised.

• Romier S changed the title to The Medium - Bloober Team, psychological horror and Akira Yamaoka scoring... [SeriesX/PC, PS5] - Coming to PS5 in September now