LCVG

The Ascent - Xbox exclusive. 4K/60 on the Series X

Romier S

• 10 months later...

OMG....I'm such a sucker for 3D Isometric action games/RPG's. Especially loot based ala Diablo. This tickles every fancy that I have and its set in a Cyberpunk-esque world?

Make It Rain Reaction GIF

Please tell me its getting a physical release.

• 1 month later...

Good interview here:

https://wccftech.com/the-ascent-qa-neon-giant-shares-info-on-game-length-crossplay-and-the-games-living-world/

- Game Pass confirmed for both PC and Console.

- 4K/60 target for Series X, 1440p/60 for Series S, 4K/30 for One X and 900p/30 for Xbox One.

- 15-20 hrs to complete the main quest. Plenty of side stuff to do.

Much more at the link. Very much looking forward to this one!

• 2 weeks later...

Some good, detailed, hands-on previews up too on various sites. 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-05-18-the-ascent-preview

This is the other side of The Ascent that piqued interest, too. The world is very cleverly interconnected, with one mission dungeon, if you could call it that, flowing into an enemy free hub, into another hub, into the next mission area. It's old school adventure game stuff, Zelda-like, which wasn't quite what I expected from a twin-stick shooter but works nicely, the option always there for you to nip back into town to upgrade something if you're finding the enemies a little tough.

I did, at times, find them a little tough. The first mission's basement goblins were a breeze which maybe lulled me into complacency, but human enemies are a different kind of problem, with medium-paced bullets, often coming from out-of-shot, making for a tricky opponent to your pretty sluggish dodge-roll. Again it's a game of kiting, drawing the melee chasers out from the shooters then darting back in, and the RPG nature of it means there's always a spot of doubt lingering about whether you've grinded enough gear for that area, or upgraded the right thing (there are a good half-dozen kind of resistances to think about which your armour, for instance, which suggests a nice amount of depth again but doesn't couple well with a demo that doesn't explain what kind of damage your enemies actually do).

Most impressive of all, though, is the world. At first glance it's all a little genre-typical, but the details set it apart. The end of that starter mission, for instance, features a great, rolling sphere fixed in place, designed as a kind of rudimentary industrial AI (called an SI in the game) that you needed to restore. Watching it boot up and whirr into action is hypnotising. As is looking into the distance, one of my favourite hobbies in early-generation games. Sneak a glimpse through a gap in some pipes, or off past the edge of a little bridge or walkway, and it's just all detail. Detail on detail, vast crowds, great chasms, roaring car chases in the sky as a couple of corporations duke it out over whatever. This stuff is all there because someone fancied making it - always true of games, such is the magic of them - but you can really feel it with The Ascent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Reviews are out, mostly positive, but lots of grindy gameplay. 

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-ascent-review-xbox-pc-game-pass?utm_source=twitter

The Ascent’s satisfying gun-tastic action-RPG gameplay loop mixes with its beautiful cyberpunk aesthetic to create an overall enjoyable experience. Neither its story nor its characters are all that memorable, and its enemy encounters can stumble toward the end, but its gunplay and ultra-violence in a neon-soaked world combine to craft a co-op-friendly game you don’t see every day.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-07-28-the-ascent-review

The more you play, conquering the arcology's upper tiers and toppling its kingpins, the less enthralling this marvelous city becomes. Quests drag you back and forth between far-flung NPCs, your journey interrupted every few seconds by hoodlums arbitrarily defending bits of floor. There's fast travel in the shape of free metro stations and airborne taxis that can be summoned for a negligible fee, but you can only use the central elevators to travel between arcology tiers, which creates more legwork and more opportunities for boring fights. Worst of all, there's no fast travelling from the maintenance districts, docks, plants and factories that account for a majority of dungeons, so if you reach a boss you're under-levelled for and need to juice up your gear, you'll need to trek all the way back to the hub.

I’m at level 10 so far. I’m going to spend a lot of time with the game.:) The fact that a studio of 12 people made this is exceedingly impressive. Though that does mean that’s it’s a little rough around the edges. I ran into numerous audio bugs like ricochet sounds that continue to play far after the event happens and other issues like that. I’ve read that they have sorted this out in the next patch which is good news. There’s some minor texture pop-in issues on load as well but thst is super minor. Otherwise, the game is a sight to behold and runs extremely well. Once you get to the Warrens and are able to experience the main city, you’re going to be impressed. Bustling is an understatement of a description!

Quick tip: Make sure to use A to dodge/roll. The game doesn’t tell you that unless you dig into the menus (unless I missed it!).

42 minutes ago, Romier S said:

The fact that a studio of 12 people made this is exceedingly impressive.

This keeps getting repeated by people. It's fundamentally wrong + misrepresents what goes into a big modern videogame.

The primary core team that made The Ascent is 12 people, yes. But it took an army of external contractors + outsourcers to actually complete the work, the assets, and ship it. Hell, they had more than 12 audio/music designers. I'm not downplaying the amount of work + creativity shown by the core team, but the internet's completely downplaying the team and effort it takes to ship anything substantial these days. 

Here's the credits list. I count at least 10 outsource/contract companies credited. 

4 minutes ago, dogbert said:

This keeps getting repeated by people. It's fundamentally wrong + misrepresents what goes into a big modern videogame.

The primary core team that made The Ascent is 12 people, yes. But it took an army of external contractors + outsourcers to actually complete the work, the assets, and ship it. Hell, they had more than 12 audio/music designers. I'm not downplaying the amount of work + creativity shown by the core team, but the internet's completely downplaying the team and effort it takes to ship anything substantial these days. 

Here's the credits list. I count at least 10 outsource/contract companies credited. 

No, that’s fair enough and good context. Thank you for the clarification!