LCVG

Dirt 5 [Xbox Series X & S/PS5/PS4/XB1/PC] - October 2020

Well it won’t be any higher than 1080p at 120Hz on my LG C8, as that’s all it will take. But that’s plenty for me. 

it all looks very much an arcade Dirt; almost closer to Grid in that ice stage. But then I want that if I’m playing on console, away from my wheel and VR headset. 

• 1 month later...

120hz also confirmed for the PS5 release. Just having 60fps be more common next-gen makes me happy enough, but it's a shame I won't be able to test 120 out on my older TV. 

I'm very interested to see what graphical features 120hz modes require games to give up/scale back on on the new systems.

PS4 to PS5 version upgrade is free.

Check out our official features trailer for DIRT 5, launching October 9 on PlayStation 4, followed shortly by launching on PlayStation 5. DIRT 5 supports a FREE upgrade option for PlayStation players - so grab DIRT 5 on PS4 and get the next-gen optimised version on PS5, free of charge.

At this point it’s safe to assume that any “Smart Delivery” games are getting the same treatment on PS5.

32 minutes ago, Romier S said:

At this point it’s safe to assume that any “Smart Delivery” games are getting the same treatment on PS5.

Definitely. Publishers would be opening a big old can of worms if they didn't. Do Sony even have a name for their answer to Smart Delivery? I haven't seen anything to suggest they do yet.

24 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Definitely. Publishers would be opening a big old can of worms if they didn't. Do Sony even have a name for their answer to Smart Delivery? I haven't seen anything to suggest they do yet.

No but they had been doing cross-buy for years with stuff like the PS3/PS4/Vita. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-buy

Their “answer” is basically the same exact thing and its up to the publishers just as it is with MS. It doesn’t need a name, frankly. Microsoft applied one seemingly because it will apply to their first party titles for who knows how long? That’s my guess, anyways.

38 minutes ago, Romier S said:

No but they had been doing cross-buy for years with stuff like the PS3/PS4/Vita. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-buy

Their “answer” is basically the same exact thing and its up to the publishers just as it is with MS. It doesn’t need a name, frankly. Microsoft applied one seemingly because it will apply to their first party titles for who knows how long? That’s my guess, anyways.

Right. I was just curious how they will even make customers aware, not that I think the slapping a Smart Delivery icon on a cover is in any way descriptive of what the hell that entitles you to either mind you.

As I wrote in the Take Two thread, my expectation is the scheme will disappear after March/April 2021 anyway (with the exception of MS first party titles obviously).

I think it makes sense to keep the green case with the Xbox banner up top, keeping it all "in the family" so to speak, but no, as far as the actual sleeve designs are concerned I don't think we'll see anything different until some actual third party next-gen only titles surface.... although even then they may only go so far as to drop 'xbox one' from the black banner there. Things could get mighty confusing for some people.

5 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I think it makes sense to keep the green case with the Xbox banner up top, keeping it all "in the family" so to speak, but no, as far as the actual sleeve designs are concerned I don't think we'll see anything different until some actual third party next-gen only titles surface.... although even then they may only go so far as to drop 'xbox one' from the black banner there. Things could get mighty confusing for some people.

I don't particularly mind it. I just figured the Optimized label was a thing during cross gen and they would transition to specific box art for the Series X. 

Any confusion would likely only be during that cross gen period, too. I think its a lesser issue once we've fully transitioned but that depends on Microsofts plans long term for the One and One X.

I do tend to put my games on the shelf by platform so this blurring the line shit is going to fuck with my OCD.:D

24 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Any confusion would likely only be during that cross gen period, too. I think its a lesser issue once we've fully transitioned but that depends on Microsofts plans long term for the One and One X.

I suppose. I wonder if they will keep the giant enhanced for SeriesX sticker on next-gen only titles only adjust the wording to serve no other purpose other than to make it doubly clear that it's only for SeriesX.

I was browsing a resetera thread last week and saw some quite eye catching fan mockups for Xbox cover designs. They were buried in one of their big threads so damned if I can find them now to share (one was for Cyberpunk). Shame. 

7 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I suppose. I wonder if they will keep the giant enhanced for SeriesX sticker on next-gen only titles only adjust the wording to serve no other purpose other than to make it doubly clear that it's only for SeriesX.

I was browsing a resetera thread last week and saw some quite eye catching fan mockups for Xbox cover designs. They were buried in one of their big threads so damned if I can find them now to share (one was for Cyberpunk). Shame. 

It would be nice to have new box art and design just from a standpoint of it being one of those interesting things to talk about in a new gen but its kind of like the console design itself. It's great at the front end but the "look" of the thing stops mattering once its on the shelf. For those going purely digital, its an even lesser issue.

I'm genuinely curious to see how well the messaging and cross gen stuff works for Microsoft. Nintendo did a very poor job of defining/differentiating the Wii U as an example. I don't think Microsoft will have similar issues given the power gulf between current and next gen machines but again, it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

20 minutes ago, Romier S said:

It would be nice to have new box art and design just from a standpoint of it being one of those interesting things to talk about in a new gen but its kind of like the console design itself. It's great at the front end but the "look" of the thing stops mattering once its on the shelf. For those going purely digital, its an even lesser issue.

Yeah. I'm kind of disappointed both companies have gone in such a bland direction with the graphic design to be honest as I think fresh design layouts further establish that "we're moving into a new era" phase. Many companies seem to be embracing blandness when it comes to graphic design these days. It's weird. 

I'm genuinely curious to see how well the messaging and cross gen stuff works for Microsoft. Nintendo did a very poor job of defining/differentiating the Wii U as an example. I don't think Microsoft will have similar issues given the power gulf between current and next gen machines but again, it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

I think so long as they get the message right in advertising they'll be OK. The 'enhanced for Series X' thing worries me most in the sense that the system could be misconstrued as an evolution on the XB1 X, which I guess from Microsoft's point of view it is given their unified approach they are taking with the Xbox branding, but yeah, so many potential headaches if they can't get the messaging just right. I feel like if i had to explain both the Xbox One X and the Xbox Series X to someone their eyes would glaze over pretty quickly. I think they need to keep bringing up the words "next generation" in the marketing as much as possible just to hammer the point home. 

.....Anyway... Dirt 5 looks good! 😀

New promo trailer:

Should be solid. Codemasters know their stuff (team!). There's rumour Forza 8 is going to add off road/rally courses so it will be interesting to see if that pans out. Dirt will have the arcade flavour though compared to Forza Motorsport, so both should have individual appeal.

It's only just occurred to me that Forza Motorsport doesn't already have off-road stuff, since there's so much in the Horizon side. Interesting to see the ludicrous jumps of Rock Bouncer racing turn up; that should be a good laugh in conjunction with the deformable mud.

• 2 months later...
  • Angry the Clown changed the title to Dirt 5 [Xbox Series X & S/PS5/PS4/XB1/PC] - October 2020
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...