LCVG

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1&2 remake [PS4/XB1/PC] - September 4th 2020

They added manuals and reverts and some other refinements to both games, which I think was a smart move. You can turn them off in the menus if you’d like to experience the games as they were. 

I’m still terrible. I can’t tell if I’m just bad, or I need to get my stats up to play closer to how I remember playing. I haven’t been playing a ton though. 

3 hours ago, Graeme said:

They added manuals and reverts and some other refinements to both games, which I think was a smart move. You can turn them off in the menus if you’d like to experience the games as they were. 

I’m still terrible. I can’t tell if I’m just bad, or I need to get my stats up to play closer to how I remember playing. I haven’t been playing a ton though. 

For me, the single hardest thing has been judging the angle of touch-down, basically staying focused on the skater's body position while rotating and comboing as much as possible. Then making sure I add a revert to every drop on a half-pipe style surface to get one more multiplier. What I haven't been able to do much yet is stringing together more distant ramps/grinds into single combos. I think that's what manual is for, but I find as soon as I exit a manual it tallies that score. Maybe I'm exiting in the wrong way...

On 9/21/2020 at 2:01 PM, rustyjaw said:

What I haven't been able to do much yet is stringing together more distant ramps/grinds into single combos. I think that's what manual is for, but I find as soon as I exit a manual it tallies that score. Maybe I'm exiting in the wrong way...

Turns out it wasn’t the exiting a manual that was at issue. They key, I found out, was using a manual right after a revert. That enables me to chain combos across sets of vert ramps. As soon as I started doing that, my scores have jumped to a new level and I finally got the remaining goals completed, including all the golds. 

I still suck at flatland combos. But now I’m ready to move on to THPS 2! 

• 3 months later...

Kept my promise to myself to save this until Christmas Day for added nostalgia value. It's joyous. One of my all time go to chill out pick up and play franchises remastered to absolute perfection. Everything is as it should be. It feels so right. I'm still not even that good at it, nor do I even have any interest in skateboarding, but it doesn't matter in the slightest. It's like wrapping myself up in a warm blanket on a cold day. Pure comfort gaming. 

• 1 month later...

Coming to Series X and PS5 now. If you already own it, it's a $10 upgrade.

https://venturebeat.com/2021/02/23/tony-hawks-pro-skater-12-is-coming-to-ps5-xbox-series-x-s-and-switch/

If you already own a PS4 or Xbox One digital version of the game, you can pay $10 to upgrade to the corresponding new console release. That also gets you access to a new skater, Powell-Peralta mascot Ripper, and some retro gear for your create-a-skaters and a few retro skins. If you bought the digital deluxe edition of Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2, you’ll get the upgrade for free.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X versions will play the game at 120 FPS at 1080P or at native 4K at 60 FPS (1440P and upscale to 4K for Xbox Series S). They will also include support for spatial audio.

So it looks like you only have to purchase the upgrade if you bought the Standard digital version. Owners of the Digital Deluxe and Physical discs will get the upgrade for free. 

Pretty sure I bought the standard digital version..... so I should probably be more annoyed, but somehow I am less annoyed. 

Edit: Physical editions on Xbox cannot be upgraded. 

Edited by Graeme
31 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I have the physical disc on the One X. Works for me.

Does it though? 😬

From Eurogamer:

The publisher has said these new PlayStation and Xbox versions will offer "a variety of upgrades, such as super crisp 120FPS at 1080P, native 4K at 60FPS, spatial audio and more". They're also not free - you'll pay a $10 upgrade fee to unlock a "Cross-Gen Deluxe Bundle" unless you own the game's Digital Deluxe version currently.

Oh, and you can't upgrade any disc copy on Xbox even if you want to pay. Only on PlayStation.

There's no explanation for why Xbox owners cannot upgrade their disc copies, or why Activision has chosen not to support Microsoft's Smart Delivery to manage all of this.

There's no apparent way of just buying a PS5 or Xbox Series X/S digital copy of the game, either. The options listed by Activision are the Cross-Gen Deluxe Bundle Edition, which packs in both last-gen and current-gen versions and a handful of Digital Deluxe edition in-game extras, or a disc-based copy.

On Xbox, transferring save data from digital Xbox One versions to a version for Series S/X will just work automatically.

On PlayStation there's a 10-step process which you can follow via Activision's FAQ and Create-a-Park save files will not carry over.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-23-tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-2-has-a-convoluted-usd10-upgrade-for-ps5-xbox-series-s-x

2 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Guh...just fuck Activision. That's never not a true statement.

I have only a cursory interest in this franchise and have no interest in rebuying another copy or even paying $10 for an upgrade. If I ever do rebuy, its when this is heavily discounted/used down the road.

The information I read did say that the Xbox Physical editions could not be upgraded, but I missed that. 

Sorry for the mild disappointment.