LCVG

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1&2 remake [PS4/XB1/PC/Switch] - PS5 and Series X Upgrade now available.

Trailer:

Vicarious Visions is the developer. The game will be $40.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1 and 2 will feature the full original roster of pro skaters from the turn of the 21st century. That includes Steve Caballero, Geoff Rowley, Bucky Lasek, Elissa Steamer, Kareem Campbell, Andrew Reynolds, Bob Burnquist, Eric Koston, Rodney Mullen, Jamie Thomas, Rune Glifberg, Chad Muska… and of course, Tony Hawk.

These skaters all come with their own Special Moves – from Geoff Rowley’s Darkside Grind to Tony Hawk’s legendary 900 – and have learned a few new tricks over the past two decades, including the Revert, Lip Tricks, and the Wall Plant, allowing you to pull off incredible combos like never before.

The remaster will also feature all the original levels from the first two games in the franchise, from the Warehouse to The Bullring. Those levels can be played solo with goals old and new, with a buddy for local co-op, or online with original multiplayer game modes. All of this will be presented in stunning 4K resolution* with updated and enhanced graphics, running at a frame rate crisper than a perfect 50-50 grind: 60 FPS.

Let’s not forget the tunes, either: Remember the iconic soundtrack of the original game, made possible thanks to the PlayStation’s shift to high-fidelity CD audio? Many of the unforgettable songs from the original games are back to help amp you up while you go for that Sick Score.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/05/12/get-ready-to-grind-into-tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-and-2/

"Many" of the songs. So not the complete soundtrack then. At least they are licensing back whatever they can.

The create a skater and park editing features are back and have been re-imagined with a more "robust editing suite".

Didn't they already remaster these two games and they weren't very good?  Honestly, I'd be much more interested in a THPS 3/4 remake-I played a whole lot more of those, and the addition of things like the revert made things really interesting.  Spine transfers in 4 less so, but 4 just amped the difficulty of 3 up with things like 2m point combos. 

6 minutes ago, ChrisBardon said:

Didn't they already remaster these two games and they weren't very good?  Honestly, I'd be much more interested in a THPS 3/4 remake-I played a whole lot more of those, and the addition of things like the revert made things really interesting.  Spine transfers in 4 less so, but 4 just amped the difficulty of 3 up with things like 2m point combos. 

Yeah, and this is Vicarious Visions doing it right (or so it seems by their comments in the Summerfest video really emphasizing getting the feel correct).

Geoff asks Tony about anything after this and he hints mentions 3 & 4 as possibilities. He referenced 1-4 as being the main nostalgic titles. 

25 minutes ago, Starhawk said:

Yeah, and this is Vicarious Visions doing it right (or so it seems by their comments in the Summerfest video really emphasizing getting the feel correct).

Geoff asks Tony about anything after this and he hints mentions 3 & 4 as possibilities. He referenced 1-4 as being the main nostalgic titles. 

It seems to be in safe hands with Vicarious Visions. The footage looks insanely promising.

I played the heck out of 2 on the Dreamcast. I never followed or had any personal interest in skateboarding, but that was one of my go to pick up and play games back in the day for some escapist stress relief. The physics of it all was joyous. 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

I played the heck out of 2 on the Dreamcast. I never followed or had any personal interest in skateboarding, but that was one of my go to pick up and play games back in the day for some escapist stress relief. The physics of it all was joyous. 

I didn't have any interest in skateboarding either, but I got THPS3 as a rental on the gamecube when they didn't have the other thing we wanted at the time, and ended up playing a ton of it.  It was that Mario 64 style objectives in a short time frame with fighting game style combos that just seemed to work well.  You had a dense environment that had some exploration based challenges (finding letters/items), some simple score based ones, some traversal objectives, and a whole bunch of ways to use the space.  It wasn't just "do a trick, get points" like I thought it'd be. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The remake looks fantastic. I’m glad to hear it turned out so well and is a pretty solid 60fps. 

Considering Tony Hawk 2 came out just before the PS2, was ported to Dreamcast, PC, and Xbox, I’m surprised there was never a port for PS2. I guess they were focusing on THPS3, which came out a year later. 

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

The remake looks fantastic. I’m glad to hear it turned out so well and is a pretty solid 60fps. 

Considering Tony Hawk 2 came out just before the PS2, was ported to Dreamcast, PC, and Xbox, I’m surprised there was never a port for PS2. I guess they were focusing on THPS3, which came out a year later. 

I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Great remaster/remake whatever you want to call it. It nails the feel perfectly. 

8 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Picked it up and played it a bit today. I’m not very good at it anymore. 

Me neither! :) But I see familiar lines, familiar flows, but I can't remember combos. I'm happy just grinding lines, hitting the targets best I can. Moved onto School today. 

My skateboarding kid + his buddy bounced off it immediately, which was awesome :) Too many buttons + "old" compared to Skate. 

On 9/6/2020 at 5:43 PM, Graeme said:

New Digital Foundry Video on the remake (and the original games). 

Just had a chance to watch this and I’m glad the GBA game gets some love as it was a brilliant port and (quite literally) new perspective on the game. It was a wonderful asset to the library on the handheld system. It’s a big reason I hope this new release makes it to Switch, particularly since the same developer did the GBA release. It’d bring things full circle to see a great handheld port on a Nintendo system from the same company.

My preference would still be to have it on Xbox or Playstation someday though. I wonder if it will ever get a next gen patch.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been remiss in not reporting that I’ve been playing the THPS 1 remake (and only v1 so far) religiously for about 2 weeks and it’s just a phenomenal game. As a dyed-in-the-wool arcade game lover, this one hits all those, ahem, buttons.

I’d only played THPS 3 before, and to my surprise this feels quite similar. I was anticipating less evolved gameplay, but I’m happy to see that isn’t the case (although I read that they did update some bits of the mechanics). 

I’m closing in on achieving all of the park goals, so I think soon I will start on v2. Anyway, loving this game a lot.

• Angry the Clown changed the title to Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1&2 remake [PS4/XB1/PC/Switch] - PS5 and Series X Upgrade now available.