LCVG

Paper Mario: The Origami King — Coming to Nintendo Switch July 17, 2020

JFo

Official Website

A NEW PAPER-CRAFTED MARIO ADVENTURE UNFOLDS ON NINTENDO SWITCH
The kingdom has been ravaged by an origami menace! Join Mario and his new partner, Olivia, as they team up with unlikely allies like Bowser and the Toads to battle evil Folded Soldiers.

Try to free Princess Peach’s castle from the clutches of King Olly in this comedy-filled adventure, only on the Nintendo Switch system.

NEW ABILITIES… AND NEW BATTLES!

Use the 1,000-Fold Arms ability to extend your arms to interact with the environment and solve puzzles. In battle, line up scattered enemies and plan your attack to maximize damage with the new, ring-based battle system that requires both puzzle-solving skills and a quick wit.

It looks good! Hopefully this is a return to form for the series. The last two were not that great.

Also, Nintendo, please make an HD port of The Thousand-Year Door at some point.

Switch Lites are still floating around. 

I got a healthy bonus & have so far surprised everyone else in the family so far with a gift, and a Switch will be the best present I can get (he wants a new skateboard, but really has no need), but the timing's awful as I don't really want a Lite for the long term. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone else pick this up?  I paid the Nintendo tax to get it (90 bucks tax in for a new switch game now), but given that it'll probably never go on sale, no point in waiting.  So far, the writing is as clever as I'd expect, and paper-based puns are all over the place.  The combat is definitely interesting-more of a puzzle game than in something like 1000 year door, and if you don't manage to line up all the enemies, it can be a little punishing.  Doesn't seem to be much in the way of advancement either, and it looks like items break after too many uses, but so far money hasn't been a problem. 

So this game is absolutely a puzzle game moreso than an RPG.  The battle system is really focused on the sliding ring puzzles, which have gotten progressively harder through the game.  The boss battles ratchet this up by making you navigate a maze of obstacles/arrows to get to attack, and actually take quite a while on their own.  It's a fun system though, and the writing, as expected, is clever.  Three of five streamers down so far, and backtracking to find more hidden stuff that I missed (so...many...toads).  Fortunately, there are a couple of items you can get that alert you to the presence of Toads, Collectibles, or hidden blocks (although not all three at once), so I think I'm at the point where I have all of those collectible assist items? 

The game also seems to be based off spending a shitload of coins for things, although they also show up in abundance.  I'm sitting at around 40000 right now, and haven't skimped on buying better weapons/accessories as needed.  Perhaps if you're spamming the "more time for the puzzle" button, you'd go through them faster, but so far missing a solution hasn't been too punishing (at least once your max HP gets a little higher).  Just means taking 2 rounds to beat an encounter instead of finishing it off undamaged.