LCVG

Maneater (PS4, Xbox One, PC)

Romier S

After reading a few tidbits about this game, I picked it up on a whim. An action RPG where you play as a shark? Why yes, please.

First and foremost, I’d highly recommend this video. It really encapsulates my feelings on the game thus far:

My shark just hit level 22 and I’m having a blast! The game loop is just fun and downright relaxing at times. That’s a bit of a surprise but really when your just swimming along and exploring to the ambient music, it just works to get you into a sort of “zen” mode. I’d agree with the assessment that the range of missions is limited and underwater combat can be a little irksome when the camera doesn’t cooperate but these are minor issues, IMO. This is type of game we need more of on the market. A solid, well produced game at a discounted price that is legitimately a joy to play. It also doesn’t appear to be overt long. I’ve spent probably 6-7 hours in-game and the game reports that I’m at a little over 50% completion. Unless this totally falls off of a cliff by the end, I can’t see myself not recommending this. Especially if you want something a little bit different and that provides a nice palate cleanser before the likes of The Last of Us II and Ghost arrive in the Summer.

Done! That was a nice, easily digestible (heh) little game that never overstays it’s welcome. It isn’t winning any awards for its visuals or gameplay but it’s the best shark action RPG out there. It’s also the only one but it doesn’t set the bar low and punches way above its weight. It’s absolutely worth the $40 you’ll spend on it.

Its also a pretty breezy 1000/1000 or Platinum Trophy as well.

I just finished it.  Full set of achievements.  I have no idea how long it took since the in-game counter seems to run while it’s in standby mode, at least on Xbox, but something like 12 hours sounds about right.

I know there’s all sorts of good stuff coming out later this year — and, yes, I did wind up preordering Last of Us II — but if I had to judge my Game of the Year based on what I’ve played so far, this would seriously be a contender.  And I’ve played through so many more games than usual too!

It has its issues for sure.  Crashed once, severe static in the surrounds at one point, and the framerate devolved to a slideshow when I was grinding for bounty hunters.  Not a technical problem, but some of the jumps for license plates can be a pain.  But geez, I still loved just about every minute of it.

• 1 month later...

Started this today as a bit of a palate cleanser between Horizon Zero Dawn and Ghost. Before I knew it, five hours were gone. It's just a great, great B-game the likes of which we don't get anymore. Yeah, it's a budget title but has a high degree of polish and it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's the perfect summer game.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, boogieman said:

What a silly, but fun game. Really enjoyed the pop culture "references" in the landmarks.  Jumping out of the water and snatching people off boats did not get old. lol

A nice palette cleanser for anybody needing to change it up after finishing a serious game.

Seriously all of this. A lot of fun and surprisingly deep. It’s like GTA Shark.

• 2 months later...

The best, and most surprising, thing is how well executed the gameplay and visuals are (the shark, fish and gator animation is particularly good). As Brandon noted, it is really well polished (especially with the next-gen patch) for its budget. It's an unexpected treat all round. Just what I needed after Persona 5.

18 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I've reached the adult lifecycle phase and things really become hugely satisfying at that stage don't they? Must get bigger! Nom, nom, nom.  

Did you evolve the bone skin? And get the spin attack? That's when fights against hunters get real good.

4 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Finished. That really was a hoot and it's just the right length.

I may Platinum this one, although it's the first game in many years to leave me with RSI in my wrist due to the repeated right trigger chomping mechanic, so I need to take a break.

I discovered too late that you can sort of just hold it down after the first chomp. Saved me a lot of issues and probably saved my dual sense.

Got the Platinum. The very last thing I left to come back to was a damn licence plate under a bridge in the Dead Horse Lake area that I'd given up on time and time again earlier in the game. I ended up re-equipping my skills, mostly going for the electric ones and anything that would give me a speed boost, and once I did that in combination with the electrical R1 attack I got it.

On to the next game in the backlog (either Control or Mario Galaxy. I'll decide tomorrow).