LCVG

Horizon II: Forbidden West (PS4, PS5)

NickC

3 minutes ago, JFo said:

Shut up and take my money! Give it to me now!

I'm sad it’s not a launch title. It would have been one hell of a game to have available on the console day 1. 

Agreed, but Miles is a hell of a draw in its own right (though jury is out on whether it’s a full on spider-man 2 or a shorter spin off).

It really would be great if Horizon gets an enhancement patch for PS5. It seems inevitable, but if they can roll that out for launch then that would be lovely. Having time to revisit the first game and the expansion (which I have still yet to play) with enhanced graphics/resolution/frame rate will be very welcome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Probably the most surprising announce out of todays events...Horizon Forbidden West will launch on PS4 as well. 

Additionally, we know that the PS4 community will transition to PS5 at different times, and we’re happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.

It's a bit of ashame, really. You guys know how I feel about cross-generational development and this is no different but I will say that given the quality of the trailer and the very real technical prowess of studios like Guerille and Insomniac, I feel a bit better about the outcome of these games. The good news is that it means that Horizon is likely pretty close to completion. I'm guessing a summer/fall 2021 release. I don't see Sony still releasing PS4 titles in 2022.

• Romier S changed the title to Horizon II: Forbidden West (PS4, PS5)

Very nice surprise to hear that several of these big first-party games will not only be cross generational, but include free upgrades to the PS5 versions for those who purchase them.

21 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I'm guessing a summer/fall 2021 release.

Summer would be great. If they do indeed launch the new God of War next year, that can be Sony’s big holiday release. You wouldn’t want to have those two games competing with each other if you were Sony.

15 hours ago, Romier S said:

Probably the most surprising announce out of todays events...Horizon Forbidden West will launch on PS4 as well. 

It's a bit of ashame, really. You guys know how I feel about cross-generational development and this is no different but I will say that given the quality of the trailer and the very real technical prowess of studios like Guerille and Insomniac, I feel a bit better about the outcome of these games. The good news is that it means that Horizon is likely pretty close to completion. I'm guessing a summer/fall 2021 release. I don't see Sony still releasing PS4 titles in 2022.

What actually bugs me about this is MS took a lot of shit for it, Sony stayed quiet and kept talking up how "generation" focused they are... and then ever so sneakily announced around half a dozen cross-gen titles. It being cross-gen probably does help explain why it's going to be ready for release sooner rather than later tough as you say, and at least it means it will have cross-gen pricing.

14 hours ago, JFo said:

Summer would be great. If they do indeed launch the new God of War next year, that can be Sony’s big holiday release. You wouldn’t want to have those two games competing with each other if you were Sony.

Yes, I think they want God of War to be the holiday 2021 biggie, which could basically mean we have Ratchet in Spring, Horizon summer/autumn (and maybe Gran Turismo somewhere between Horizon and GoW?), plus any surprises and third party biggies thrown into the mix along the way. 

7 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Yes, I think they want God of War to be the holiday 2021 biggie, which could basically mean we have Ratchet in Spring, Horizon summer/autumn (and maybe Gran Turismo somewhere between Horizon and GoW?), plus any surprises and third party biggies thrown into the mix along the way. 

That's one heck of a first year right?

1 minute ago, NickC said:

That's one heck of a first year right?

Outstanding. Much as I love Ratchet and God of War, I'm not paying £70 for the the next instalments, so I don't know when I'll personally get the opportunity to play those, but regardless I think it's looking as though they will be very successful in their desire to eliminate drought during their transition from one generation to the next. What the hell will 2022 bring?

Just now, Angry the Clown said:

Outstanding. Much as I love Ratchet and God of War, I'm not paying £70 for the the next instalments, so I don't know when I'll personally get the opportunity to play those, but regardless I think it's looking as though they will be very successful in their desire to eliminate drought during their transition from one generation to the next. What the hell will 2022 bring?

Yeah, I hope its not too much too fast, there will probably be a few remasters or PS5 enhanced games released as well (Last of Us Part 2, Ghost of Tsushima).

Yes, I need to be cautious about when to buy some of the major PS4 games I've missed in case there's a unique PS5 version down the line. Those two, and Death Stranding, would seem like the best candidates. It'd be nice if the first Horizon had a patch, but there's a chance the boost mode could unlock its dynamic resolution scaling to turn it into native 4k which, with a stable 30fps, would be fine. It's on my list of games to revisit as I'd like to go for the Platinum, and still need to get the DLC.

3 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

What actually bugs me about this is MS took a lot of shit for it, Sony stayed quiet and kept talking up how "generation" focused they are... and then ever so sneakily announced around half a dozen cross-gen titles. It being cross-gen probably does help explain why it's going to be ready for release sooner rather than later tough as you say, and at least it means it will have cross-gen pricing.

To be entirely fair, having a spate of cross generation games within the first 6 or so months of your console launch is a very different situation to proclaiming that “no one gets left behind” and reiterating the message that your first party titles for the first two years will be playable on every last generation box in your console family. I think the picture became much clearer after Microsoft’s showcase that said messaging was pretty much bullshit as most of the titles shown were Series X exclusive (much to my own delight). I said it in the Xbox thread, it was an extraordinarily stupid messaging mistake to make such blanket declarations so early on.

A few things as well:

1. It fed into the console warrior bullshit. Sony fanboys used it as a bludgeon to fight their console war instead of actually voicing any real concern about how it would affect next gen development. The console wars are dead. Long live the console wars...... to use your own vernacular.;)

2. For me, and I’ll be blunt - I just don’t have the same level of confidence in Microsoft first party titles. That may be unfair but I’ve been giving them the benefit of the doubt since the last 2 years of the Xbox 360’s development. They’ve got to put up or shut-up this generation for me.

3. I am still not a fan /at all/ of the sequel to Horizon of all games being caught up in this cross generation development cycle. Miles on the PS4 makes sense. It’s a stand alone extension/expansion of Spider-Man ala Lost Legacy. It’s a bridge title (that still looks wonderful). Horizon can and should be a technical showcase on the PS5. Not just on the visuals front either but at the design level where we should be seeing far more complex AI and worlds being built and with Guerilla taking 100% advantage of the PS5. The game will still be a technical marvel visually, but there’s no doubt the overall vision will be compromised having to cater to a 2013 CPU that was outdated when it released and that /fucking/ sucks.

My concern level will rise exponentially if Sony decides God if War 2 is cross generation. I don’t believe that they will and we damn sure aren’t getting cross gen games in 2022 but consider me cautious and on alert. I have a myriad of concerns about the Series S for all of the same reasons.

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

Yes you'd think God of War is where the would be a safe place to draw the line a year after the PS5's release.

I'm on the fence about Gran Turismo now though. The footage shown apparently re-uses a lot of GT Sport assets. 

I really, really just want to move away from the next generation of consoles being PS4 Pro/Xbox One X games with Ray Tracing and higher framerates as quickly and efficiently as possible. No doubt some will cheer for that. I am not one of them. I will not applaud the supposed death of 30fps games. A properly implemented 30fps title has never stopped me from downright falling in love with a gameplay experience though I acknowledge its importance in certain genres like racing games more than others (and even then DriveClub had an amazing sense of speed and control at 30).

If a developer chooses to focus their efforts on making the AI of their NPC's and enemies of the upmost quality and that means the game must run at 30fps? I'm in. I want that. We need to make some real and very noticeable leaps in the realm of how we interact with these game worlds and not just pretty new reflections.

• 8 months later...
2 minutes ago, Romier S said:

The show will be 20 minutes long and feature 14 minutes of gameplay.

I'm finally playing through The Frozen Wilds and am reminded why this is easily one of the best open world games ever made, if not the best.

Just now, Josh said:

I'm finally playing through The Frozen Wilds and am reminded why this is easily one of the best open world games ever made, if not the best.

I want to do a full replay of it prior to Forbidden West releasing but man I’m holding out for a 60fps patch.

44 minutes ago, Romier S said:

I want to do a full replay of it prior to Forbidden West releasing but man I’m holding out for a 60fps patch.

It performs great on the PS5, but, yeah, 60fps would be nice. I'm not holding my breath, though. Have they said one is coming? I'm guessing they're pretty busy with Forbidden West, and they may put out a "PS5 edition" once the hype for FW gets people into the franchise.