LCVG

Horizon II: Forbidden West (PS4, PS5)

NickC

• 4 weeks later...

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/09/02/pre-order-horizon-forbidden-west-now-collectors-and-digital-deluxe-editions-detailed/

Of note:

For players looking to have access to both the PS4 & PS5 versions of Horizon Forbidden West, please purchase the Digital Deluxe, Collector’s, or Regalla Editions. Dual entitlement does not apply to the standard and Special Editions.

That tells me there is no PS4 to PS5 free upgrade at all here. You’re paying a premium for the right to have access to both. I’m getting the standard edition on the PS5 so it’s a non-issue for me but that’s pretty shitty for those that haven’t been able to get a PS5. The fact that the two most expensive editions have a steel book but don’t include a physical version of the game is also laughable and dumber than shit as far as I’m concerned. I don’t bother with bonkers expensive CE’s anymore and haven’t for years but that’s just even less incentive to bother.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

That tells me there is no PS4 to PS5 free upgrade at all here. You’re paying a premium for the right to have access to both. I’m getting the standard edition on the PS5 so it’s a non-issue for me but that’s pretty shitty for those that haven’t been able to get a PS5. The fact that the two most expensive editions have a steel book but don’t include a physical version of the game is also laughable and dumber than shit as far as I’m concerned. I don’t bother with bonkers expensive CE’s anymore and haven’t for years but that’s just even less incentive to bother.

It's definitely disappointing to see the "for the players" brand taking Ubisoft/Activision style approaches to a lot of this stuff. The trend of collector's editions and steelbooks without actual physical copies of the game is uniquely absurd.

34 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

It's definitely disappointing to see the "for the players" brand taking Ubisoft/Activision style approaches to a lot of this stuff. The trend of collector's editions and steelbooks without actual physical copies of the game is uniquely absurd.

They did the same with MLB The Show, apparently. I wasn't paying that game much attention but the recent Ghost of Tsushima upgrade path wasn't great, either (had it been $20 for the expansion and upgrade, I wouldn't have issue but the extra $10 for a minimal upgrade is problematic). In the end, I think this is par course for their new release first party games moving forward. As a Playstation 5 owner, it doesn't affect me as I'll be buying the PS5 versions and don't care about access to the PS4 release but for an army of PS4 owners that are looking to upgrade to a PS5 eventually, it would have been such an easy win to offer the upgrade as further incentive to jump to that new console as opposed to charging what amounts to a $20 premium.

I see it more as "Nintendo-esque", frankly but the Ubi/Activision comparison isn't totally off. Sony, much like Nintendo see their first party games as having an intrinsic value and a pedigree that "allows" them to pull this kind of stuff and its disheartening in the same way that Nintendo charging full price for what amounts to minor upgrades to Wii U ports is disheartening. 

Not to flog the horse on the pricing front, but Sony themselves said the upgrade path would be free when they announced the game was coming to PS4 from their blog post.

AA32403E-FCDF-4732-A9E2-E8D208F4997F.jpeg

I hope that much like the PS3/Vita store closure situation, that Sony is pressured into reversing course here.

Technically that is stating that Miles, Sackboy and Horizon will have both a PS4 and PS5 version, and that launch games will have a free upgrade. Horizon was never a launch title, so it wouldn’t be included in that statement. Miles and Sackboy did have a free upgrade (although the fact that they then tried to get you to pay for the Remaster of the original game kind of takes away from the goodwill). 

The fact that they are mentioning PS4 versions of these 3 games, and knowing that gamers will transition at different times, and the free upgrades in the same breath though is kinda crummy of them. 

Re-reading it, you’re right. They do mention launch games specifically.

However, I think if Sony is in a position where they have to argue the semantics after the initial statement, then they’ve pretty much failed on the PR front. This should have been easy win but it is what it is. I do truly hope that they change course. It would engender good will and it’s a good thing to push PS4 users to the PS5 as more hardware becomes available.

27 minutes ago, Romier S said:

However, I think if Sony is in a position where they have to argue the semantics after the initial statement, then they’ve pretty much failed on the PR front. This should have been easy win but it is what it is. I do truly hope that they change course. It would engender good will and it’s a good thing to push PS4 users to the PS5 as more hardware becomes available.

Agreed. The fact that they may not even be providing a upgrade path from PS4 to PS5 in hopes that people will just buy the deluxe version is also pretty scummy. 

Sony backtracks.  Hurray!

Thursday was to be a celebration of Horizon Forbidden West and the amazing team at Guerrilla working to deliver it on February 18, 2022. However, it's abundantly clear that the offerings we confirmed in our pre-order kickoff missed the mark.

Last year we made a commitment to deliver free upgrades for our cross-gen launch titles, which included Horizon Forbidden West. While the pandemic's profound impact pushed Forbidden West out of the launch window we initially envisioned, we will stand by our offer: Players who purchase Horizon Forbidden West on PlayStation 4 will be able to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version for free.

I also want to confirm today that moving forward, PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5)–both digital and physical*–will offer a $10 USD digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5. This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 & PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

So I guess the $64,000 question — or, errr, the $10 question — is will there be price parity between the PS4 and PS5 versions?  As I write this:

$59.99 - gets you the PS4 edition of H:FW with a free PS5 upgrade

$69.99 - gets you the PS5 version of H:FW

So unless you’re buying a physical copy and really like that white stripe on the box, what do you get for the $10 premium of buying the native PS5 version?

24 minutes ago, Adam Tyner said:

So I guess the $64,000 question — or, errr, the $10 question — is will there be price parity between the PS4 and PS5 versions?  As I write this:

$59.99 - gets you the PS4 edition of H:FW with a free PS5 upgrade

$69.99 - gets you the PS5 version of H:FW

So unless you’re buying a physical copy and really like that white stripe on the box, what do you get for the $10 premium of buying the native PS5 version?

How is that any different from Miles Morales or Sackboy? There was no price parity for those titles and yet….

11 minutes ago, Adam Tyner said:

Yes, there was price parity for both of those games.  Sackboy launched at $59.99 on the PS4 and $59.99 on the PS5.  Miles Morales was $49.99 on the PS4 and $49.99 on the PS5 (although the Ultimate Edition was pricier).

Huh, well fuck me. I obviously didn’t remember that being the case.

Though given the $10 upgrade charge for newer releases, I think that answers the price parity question for the likes of God of War and GT7 but who knows for HFW? 

Sony seems to have the marker cornered on dumb delivery at the moment.;)

11 hours ago, Adam Tyner said:

You get to not deal with your PS5 thinking you want to play the PS4 version of the game, and trying to install it, which was an issue I had with Sackboy. 

Even with price parity, you’re actually getting less with the PS5 disc version since the PS5 disc won’t give you access to the PS4 version. 

1 hour ago, JFo said:

But — they believe in console generations, which is the most important thing!

If only that ended up being true. I’d love for nothing more than Horizon, God of War and GT7 to be 100% focused PS5 titles and for the PS4 to be out of the picture at this point. It would make all of this moot but I get the business reasoning/allure for not wanting to ignore 115 million consoles out there.

For all of the stupid decision making on the upgrade pricing front on this game, I’ve been pleased with their support of last gen titles getting free patches and upgrades via the backwards compatibility program. I didn’t see a lot of value in the $10 upgrade cost for Ghost but that’s a much easier decision for consumers to do without thanks to the free 60fps patch for the PS4 game. If they want to do more “Director’s Cut” style releases in that vein with $10 upgrades, I’m good with it considering most of their major titles have already been patched and upgraded at this point via BC.

*whispers evil things at Jim Ryan for the lack of a Bloodborne patch*

41 minutes ago, Graeme said:

You get to not deal with your PS5 thinking you want to play the PS4 version of the game, and trying to install it, which was an issue I had with Sackboy. 

Even with price parity, you’re actually getting less with the PS5 disc version since the PS5 disc won’t give you access to the PS4 version. 

Indeed.

For me though, I’m getting the PS5 version because I want that native version on the disc. With the PS4 disc, I’d have to download the native PS5 version anytime I want to install the game in the future. It’s the way most of the upgrades have worked for me thus far. I had Little Nightmares II already installed on PS4 so when I did the upgrade, I had to download the native PS5 version and delete the PS4 version (I didn’t have to delete it but for the sake of space clearing). if Namco Bandai released a physical version of Little Nightmares 2 on the PS5, I’d likely rebuy it when it dropped in price and then sell off my PS4 version.