LCVG

Microsoft announces Media Player Center Extender

Romier S

Heres the report on Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/news/news_6086199.html

Excerpt:

The Xbox Media Center Extender Kit will consist of an Xbox DVD disc and a dedicated remote control, and will also allow users to view digital media from any room in the house. The Media Center Edition 2004 software development kit was actually released last September, and since then, over 8,500 developers have downloaded the software in order to use it to build media applications. These applications include the media-player application on the Web site of the popular sports broadcasting network, ESPN; that site's "ESPN Motion" application lets users view sports clips on either their computer or on a TV screen.

That whole "XP Media Center" thing always seemed like a bit of a dead-end anyway. Why can't they just sell a $50-100 plus pack for the same thing? Wouldn't that get a lot of sales?

I thought I could already play Media Center sourced files on my PC. So this product would allow me to use an Xbox in place of a second (or 3rd or 4th or 5th) PC in a house that already has a Media Center PC?

I suspect I missing something obvious about XP Media Center.

-j

• 9 months later...
Originally posted by Robot Monkey@Jan 9 2004, 09:08 AM

That whole "XP Media Center" thing always seemed like a bit of a dead-end anyway. Why can't they just sell a $50-100 plus pack for the same thing?

I think I read that that's going to be part of the "Media Player Center Extender Extender".

(Sorry, it seemed funny at the time.)