LCVG

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5]

Legit one of my favorite announcements. 

The remake of Ratchet and Clank is a lesser game story wise than the original but its one of my favorite games on the console. I absolutely loved it and its PS2 and PS3 predecessors including Crack in Time which is just superb.

Life is always better with more Ratchet and Clank in it.

The Ratchet demo also not so secretly showed off the SSD loading the most overtly of any game shown. if the final game follows the template shown, those dimensional rifts are seamlessly loading in the blink of an eye. No load screen, no animation to try and hide loads, etc. It's literally a quick transition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Do yourself a favor and watch that demo at full 4K on a good display. I just watched it on my C9 OLED and my goodness is it beautiful. A definite jump over Ratchet 2016 visually in so many ways. The instantaneous rift jumping is super impressive to boot. I could see little to no LOD pop-in or texture loading. The "stability" of the image is really damned great.

Well I didn’t watch the demo in 4K, but it still looked pretty fabulous at 1080p on YouTube, which can only mean the real thing running live on a PS5 connected to my TV is going to look that much better due to the absence of compression artifacts.

Having two Insomniac games set for release during the launch window of PS5 (the other being Spider-Man: Miles Morales, of course) makes the case for getting a PS5 right away much stronger.

8 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Looks so beautiful. Glad it’s shaping up to be an early 2021 release (at the latest) too. I really think PS5 is going to have a very strong first year for heavy hitting exclusives. 

There’s some hub bub from a few insiders that the Demon’s Souls remaster will also be in the “launch window” as well. We’ll see but that would be amazing if so.

3 minutes ago, Romier S said:

There’s some hub bub from a few insiders that the Demon’s Souls remaster will also be in the “launch window” as well. We’ll see but that would be amazing if so.

Even if Souls is first year rather than launch window, and if we assume Horizon for Holiday 2021 then those, plus Miles and Ratchet within the span of the system's first twelve months would be an excellent run of titles even if they didn't have any more to add in the first year (I wouldn't put money on GT in 2021, but you never know). 

Translated from an article in Famitsu - the game will have a 60fps, lower resolution performance mode:

--I understand. Also, what frame rates and resolutions are supported?

Increasing the beauty of the microphone image reduces the frame rate, which is a difficult balance to achieve in any game. In this game, we've focused on balancing the comfort of the action with beautiful graphics while allowing players to choose between two different resolutions and frame rates. One is a 4K resolution at 30FPS, and the other is a lower resolution at 60FPS. We're planning to offer either of these two options.

Ishitate-I'd like to add that in Ratchet & Clank, starting in the latter half of the PS3 era, we've chosen to ditch the 60FPS of the PS2 era for 30FPS in order to make the graphics more beautiful, and the actual gameplay has been made at 30FPS. This time around, players can choose whether to go the 60FPS route of the PS2 era or the high resolution & 30FPS route of the PS3 and beyond.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/202008/28204823.html

1 minute ago, Angry the Clown said:

Even if Souls is first year rather than launch window, and if we assume Horizon for Holiday 2021 then those, plus Miles and Ratchet within the span of the system's first twelve months would be an excellent run of titles even if they didn't have any more to add in the first year (I wouldn't put money on GT in 2021, but you never know). 

I can’t imagine Sackboy Adventure being too far off either.

Just now, Angry the Clown said:

Oh definitely. That has to be launch or first six months I'd have thought. I wouldn't classify that as a biggie though, but I'm certainly keen to see more of it.

No buts it’s a fill in” first party platformer that adds more variety to the PS5’s offering. I could see it release at perhaps a $49.99 budget price point in the downtime between bigger scale stuff.

3 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

That's interesting re frame rate/resolution. They don't seem to mention any other visual trade off going 60fps other than the resolution. I wonder what they'll bump it down to.

They may use their excellent temporal injection method to do a reconstructed 4K image at 60fps running at a lower base internal resolution (1440p for example) while the quality mode is native 4K. 

2 minutes ago, Romier S said:

They may use their excellent temporal injection method to do a reconstructed 4K image at 60fps running at a lower base internal resolution (1440p for example) while the quality mode is native 4K. 

I'd be perfectly happy with that, and indeed if many PS5 games were similar. It'd be nice to have 60fps with no limitation on graphical effects, but 1440p. 

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

I'd be perfectly happy with that, and indeed if many PS5 games were similar. It'd be nice to have 60fps with no limitation on graphical effects, but 1440p. 

Well, that's the thing. With where we are with image reconstruction techniques, you're not having to just "settle" for 1440p native resolution. We're seeing stuff like DLSS that's able to take an image as low as 540p and reconstruct it to look as good if not slightly better than native 1080p. Insomniac's very own temporal injection technique is superb and avoids the type of artifacting that occurs with standard checkerboard rendering. Spider-Man for instance usually runs at 1584p with drops to 1330p but it looks absolutely superb on a 4K monitor.

The push for games to hit native 4K isn't anywhere near as important as say the switchover from the sub-720p era to native 1080p we started with this generation. Most of these reconstruction techniques are able to get close enough that it becomes a lesser issue.

26 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Well, that's the thing. With where we are with image reconstruction techniques, you're not having to just "settle" for 1440p native resolution. We're seeing stuff like DLSS that's able to take an image as low as 540p and reconstruct it to look as good if not slightly better than native 1080p. Insomniac's very own temporal injection technique is superb and avoids the type of artifacting that occurs with standard checkerboard rendering. Spider-Man for instance usually runs at 1584p with drops to 1330p but it looks absolutely superb on a 4K monitor.

Do we know yet if Miles is having to make any VFX sacrifices for its Performance Mode? The fact Insomnic billed it as 4k/60 suggests to me it will. I've been eager to see what the consoles might be able to do in the way of similar reconstruction techniques to DLSS on their AMD chipsets, but at best all I've found are some Microsoft demos relating to DirectX12 and some of the A.I based techniques they're implementing there (but we're still none the wiser as to how it might actually manifest on the SeriesX itself).