LCVG

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5]

Well this is just everything I hope it would be and more. The Dual Sense is a major player here, from the great haptics (different firing modes on one button) to the "cling cling" of collecting bolts to feeling the music in night club(s).

Visually it's stunning. Have been playing in quality mode and love it. May try performance and see how I like it.

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Actually I think I know where I slipped up with the Lorbs. You redeem them via one of the scholars and I haven't done that with any of them yet, so presumably when I turn in three the trophy will unlock. I'll do that later once I can return to that planet.

Can now confirm this is precisely what is required for the trophy.

24 minutes ago, Josh said:

Well this is just everything I hope it would be and more. The Dual Sense is a major player here, from the great haptics (different firing modes on one button) to the "cling cling" of collecting bolts to feeling the music in night club(s).

The haptics change as you upgrade the weapons too. It's brilliant.

I played for a few hours last night. Got through the first rift repair thing with Crank. It’s quite good and looks great. I didn’t get the WOW I thought I would, but I think that’s somewhat due to my TV. Moving through the rifts to other worlds is super impressive.

The levels are just so much larger in this game compared to the other games in the series. They remind me of The Last of Us Part II in that regard in that they are “wide linear”. Not open world but larger hub based with a variety of objectives and a bunch of exploration and items to collect. Which makes how quickly this all loads in and out super damned impressive. I was slack jawed throughout Blezar Prime/Mines. 

Insomniac has also taken all that they learned from a story perspective in both Spider-Man games and applied it here. It’s very much like playing a well written animated film. The characters are so loveable and Rivet is just a huge success so far for me. I love how sassy she is and she reminds me of early Ratchet before he became the hero he is.

@Angry the Clownalready praised the hell out of the music so I won’t repeat much there. It’s amazing.:)

The conversation with Mike Fitzgerald is very interesting and worth a listen. The checkerboard RT reflections tied to the game resolution solution was born out of the implementation of the RT performance mode and ended up allowing the fidelity mode to stick closer to 4K for example.

Well I finished it up with an epic Saturday marathon session. It's joyous stuff that I really couldn't pull myself away from, and by far my favourite in the series.

Amongst the goofy humour there's just so much heart to the story, with Rivet and Kit (and Glitch!) really helping to bring the franchise to new heights from a narrative perspective. I always liked the characters from these games, but this is the first time I've be charmed to the point to where I can say that I absolutely love them. As Romier wrote above, you can absolutely feel the progress they've made in storytelling and character with the Spider-man games paying dividends here. 

Visually, and from a level design perspective, every planet has something new going on, and the levels kind of have the illusion of being larger than they are. They're just big enough for you to enjoy exploring and discovering little things, but not so big as to feel overwhelming or distracting enough to steer you off the main path for too long. It's all just executed with such confidence you feel completely at ease in the developers' hands, and I love that feeling. I dare say the wow factor will ware off for some. It's very much a Ratchet and Clank game when you get down to the mechanics of it, but for fans I can't imagine it not being considered a series highlight. 

I really can't think of a more fun experience to have won my tenth Platinum. 

41 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Which makes how quickly this all loads in and out super damned impressive. I was slack jawed throughout Blezar Prime/Mines. 

That's definitely the most amazing thing. Those big beautiful landscapes, with a mix of large and small elements being hurled around seamlessly at a stable 60fps, just never got boring. This was also an experience where I regularly felt myself aware of how this new generation of hardware has created the potential for load times to go away. Short of going back to games from the cartridge eras it's easy to forget just what that fluidity felt like, and indeed just how much loading can interrupt your immediate investment in the sort of things we've been playing for the last two decades. I genuinely think that factored in to how quickly I got through this as not only did I really not want to stop, I wasn't entirely sure when to stop if that makes any sense.  

Incidentally, I had to go and lookup what Sony paid for Insomniac and $229m is starting to feel like a contender for the crime of the century. 

4 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

The song's great. LOVE the visual credits that precede it. 

The soundtrack album is missing some of the more tender musical cues which is a real shame.

I hope we get an expanded CD/vinyl release soon.

Oh and I figured out that low resolution/no anti-aliasing bug. It happens when you scroll through the different visual filters on the golden bolt but end up choosing default. The game will appear quite low resolution and super jaggy. You’ll notice it immediately when it happens. Especially in the menus. Restarting the game fixes it as I said. Other than that issue and some minor clipping issues here and there, the game is extremely polished.

Some final thoughts on the game. This is the best entry into the series bar none. It surpasses "A Crack in Time" which was the previous champion. I played on the hardest “Renegade Legend difficulty and the challenge level was just right. The Clank puzzles aren't as prominent in this game and that's to its benefit. What is here is fun and engaging and its just the right amount to give Clank a real place in the story . I also really liked Glitch and her segments. They are there to break up the regular action but they are fun and very arcade like which suits the tone and my tastes.

Otherwise, this is very much Rivets game. That's not to say that Ratchet is in any way relegated to the background. He has just as much play time but in reality we know him well. We know Clank well so much of the excitement is around Rivet and her own self-discovery as a hero. That is alongside Kit which I don't want to ruin. It's very refreshing in this world of dark and edgy titles to sit down with a game that has characters that are fun to be around and to genuinely enjoy. There's conflict that needs resolved but its never mean spirited and its rooted in allowing the characters to grow. It's the best animated movie I've seen in ages.:notbad:

In an effort to complete the platinum, I started a challenge mode run to get the final weapon and ended up playing until Savali. Here's a legit and perhaps controversial opinion: Fidelity mode and 30fps are /fine/. I played through the entire game in Performance RT and it looked exceptional but I wanted to try the fidelity mode and honestly, the rather sizeable uptick in resolution and scene density is noticeable to my eyes (the amount of flowers and grass that pop-up with the topiary weapon is night and day on Fidelity for example). It doesn't in any way invalidate performance RT /at all/ but Insomniac have some of the best per object motion blur in the industry and 30fps feels pretty damned good once you've adjusted to the change. So I don't blame anyone for wanting to experience the game at its absolute best image clarity wise and the amount of fine detail is a sight to behold at full 4K. I was going to do a fidelity run first and then do performance RT for challenge mode but I'll end up swapping that around. Though I'll hold off on doing my full challenge run for a bit. Other games are calling.

Either way, if you're a fan of this series you should be an extremely happy camper. This is an exceptional game and alongside Returnal, it has some of the best use of the DualSense, SSD and 3D Audio on the platform. A must play, IMO.