LCVG

Gran Turismo 7 [PS5/PS4] - Releasing March 4th, 2022

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

As Romier referenced in the Ragnarok thread, Sony have now confirmed that GT7 will also be coming to PS4.

I'm not shocked about this. Nerds with a far better eye for detail than me have speculated this would be the case for a while as a number of GT fans have said that what we've seen from 7 reused a lot of assets from GT Sport.

Cross-gen also means they won't mark it up with a £70 price of a PS5 exclusive, so that's one bonus at least. 

• Angry the Clown changed the title to Gran Turismo 7 [PS5/PS4] (2026...probably)
  • 3 months later...
  • Romier S changed the title to Gran Turismo 7 [PS5/PS4] - Releasing March 4th, 2022

Lots of details in this interview.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-16-the-big-gran-turismo-7-interview

Before I move on, I just want to get one final point of clarity on this. GT Sport was a fantastic game and had a big online focus - a lot of people are looking forward to GT7 as having a big campaign which they can play wherever they want. Will it be possible to play the campaign offline? 

Kazunori Yamauchi: The online connection is required for the campaign mode. The only part of the game that doesn't require an online connection is the arcade mode, because that has no effect on the save data, so that's possible. But anything that has to do with the save data requires a connection. For example things like the livery data as well - that's something that is downloaded from the online server.

One other point of clarity I wanted to make was about dynamic time and weather, which wasn't a part of Gran Turismo Sport.

Kazunori Yamauchi: In GT7, the time and weather will be moving in real time.

That's all good news to me. The recent blog post said something about Gran Turismo having a different approach to the weather system and how it works. I wonder if you could talk through a bit more about how dynamic weather works in Gran Turismo 7 - does it impact track surface temperature, if there's a dynamic track, does it rubber in over the course of an event?

Kazunori Yamauchi: We don't have a system for simulating the amount of rubber that's laid on the track, but we do have a simulation of where the rain would create a level of water over the track. When a car passes over it, it will spray aside, and so the racing lines will dry quicker than the other parts of the track. That's something that is simulated and does affect the grip of the course accordingly as time goes on, and the track begins to dry in different places. The air temperature, the humidity, and then the road surface temperature will also be affected by these weather changes as well.

This is a cross platform game as well, which I imagine is quite a big undertaking. Will PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 versions have feature parity - will things like the dynamic time and weather be a part of both versions?

Kazunori Yamauchi: Feature wise, they will be the same, but the quality that you'll be seeing will be different.

I'm still going to be playing Horizon 5 by the time this comes out, so it was never going to be a launch purchase for me (and the arcadey nature of Horizon will always appeal to me more than a straight sim like GT, which I absolutely do enjoy, but don't get the same entertainment value from). It's also a turnoff that there's no cross-gen price parity between PS4 and PS5 versions as the former will retail for £59.99 here, while the latter will retail for £69.99. Consequently, Sony also confirmed in their blog that anyone wishing to upgrade their PS4 copy will be charged a $10/£10 premium to do so. 

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/09/21/gran-turismo-7-pre-order-items-and-25th-anniversary-edition-detailed/

GT Sport went on sale very quickly, but that was largely driven by it starting off more as an online focused experience I think. Its first discount came shortly before the rollout of more single player aimed expansions which is when I dove in, and they did a good job with that expanding it over time. I certainly got value out of the purchase, though Driveclub was still more to my liking. It's going to be a long time before I get round to picking up GT7 I think. 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

Consequently, Sony also confirmed in their blog that anyone wishing to upgrade their PS4 copy will be charged a $10/£10 premium to do so. 

Hadn't they already confirmed that post the Horizon Forbidden West debacle? They had said all subsequent cross-gen titles would require a $10 upgrade, no?

GT7 is of very little interest to me as someone that rarely plays racing games in general. I did eventually pick up GT Sport in its Steelbook iteration for like $19 and what I've played of it is very good. It's stunning with some of the best HDR implementation out there but its not something I play often. I'm much in the same boat here. When its dirt cheap, I'll pick it up and get what I want out of it but otherwise, not on the radar along with just about every other racing game on the market. Even the arcade ones don't appeal much, frankly. It's not my genre at all.

8 minutes ago, Romier S said:

Hadn't they already confirmed that post the Horizon Forbidden West debacle? They had said all subsequent cross-gen titles would require a $10 upgrade, no?

I don't honestly remember. You're more on top of things like that than I am, so they probably did suggest as much before. 

8 minutes ago, Romier S said:

GT7 is of very little interest to me as someone that rarely plays racing games in general. I did eventually pick up GT Sport in its Steelbook iteration for like $19 and what I've played of it is very good. It's stunning with some of the best HDR implementation out there but its not something I play often. I'm much in the same boat here. When its dirt cheap, I'll pick it up and get what I want out of it but otherwise, not on the radar along with just about every other racing game on the market. Even the arcade ones don't appeal much, frankly. It's not my genre at all.

What's frustrating is because driving games are the kind of thing I will go to for a brief twenty/thirty minute pick up and play session, they lend themselves more to being a downloadable purchase than physical for me, but in this case that may mean sitting GT7 out even longer because PSN sale prices on PS5 games are laughable. 

39 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I don't honestly remember. You're more on top of things like that than I am, so they probably did suggest as much before. 

I had to go back to the Horizon thread but yeah, they did:

Last year we made a commitment to deliver free upgrades for our cross-gen launch titles, which included Horizon Forbidden West. While the pandemic's profound impact pushed Forbidden West out of the launch window we initially envisioned, we will stand by our offer: Players who purchase Horizon Forbidden West on PlayStation 4 will be able to upgrade to the PlayStation 5 version for free.

I also want to confirm today that moving forward, PlayStation first-party exclusive cross-gen titles (newly releasing on PS4 & PS5)–both digital and physical*–will offer a $10 USD digital upgrade option from PS4 to PS5. This will apply to the next God of War and Gran Turismo 7, and any other exclusive cross-gen PS4 & PS5 title published by Sony Interactive Entertainment.

I'm with you on the dipping your toe into racing games. It was pretty much the case with GT Sport for me and why this isn't something I'll bother with until its dirt cheap. I've very much lost most/all of my taste for racing titles. I know folks keep pushing me to try Horizon but I'll be honest - nothing about it excites me much outside of the visuals. /shrug

Again, the genre just isn't my thing whether its Forza/Gran Turismo/Mario Kart, etc. Amusingly, I'm somewhat interested in trying that new Cruis 'N Blast game on the Switch. It's just insane enough that it may stick for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...