LCVG

Spider-man: Miles Morales (PS4, PS5) (Holiday 2020)

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that's a Platinum.   Interestingly that was the longest straight session I went without a crash.   My profile says that took me 19hrs of play (no idea if that includes the clo

Nothing quite as satisfying as being Spider-man again. I'm loving this. 

Ending spoilers for the first game....     I literally spat my drink out when I saw that. LMAO!

Posted Images

The first Spider-man game released in September of 2018. If they started work on Miles shortly after you're talking about a two year development turn around on a likely already established engine with PS5 "frills" thrown in. Not to mention a close second party, now fully first party studio that would have been given access to the PS5 SDK/tools relatively early on.

i.e. a full game (lesser in scope) is absolutely doable by an experienced team like Insomniac, IMO. I'm betting its also releasing on PS4 so it will be cross-gen.

This is apparently a launch title:

https://www.cnet.com/news/disrupting-death-could-we-really-live-on-in-digital-form/

Sony's also bringing out new sequels to fan favorite games, such as its hit action adventure Marvel's Spider-Man from 2018, and futuristic role playing game Horizon: Zero Dawn from 2017. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, and Horizon Forbidden West will pick up where their predecessors left off while also bringing in new characters. Though the new Horizon game doesn't have a launch date, Spider-Man will be released alongside the PS5.

Considering it’s a launch title, two things surprised me. First, that Sony didn’t show more of the game. Other games got way more time in the presentation than this did. Second, that they chose to show this game first instead of saving it to end. I mean, I’m excited about Horizon Forbidden West for sure, but considering they haven’t put a release date they could have led of with that and saved Spider-Man — the big launch title —until the very end (with more footage shown of course).

At any rate, I have nothing but great expectations for this one. I loved the first game, and Insomniac is one of the best studios out there. I imagine this is going to be phenomenal.

6 hours ago, JFo said:

At any rate, I have nothing but great expectations for this one. I loved the first game, and Insomniac is one of the best studios out there. I imagine this is going to be phenomenal.

This game is going to have a sick launch attachment rate. As of right now, this game is the only game I am for-sure buying at launch.

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

This game is going to have a sick launch attachment rate. As of right now, this game is the only game I am for-sure buying at launch.

Ditto. Spider-Man was one of my favorite recent games and Miles is my favorite Spider-Man, so this is a no-brainer launch title for me.

37 minutes ago, Robot Monkey said:

Ditto. Spider-Man was one of my favorite recent games and Miles is my favorite Spider-Man, so this is a no-brainer launch title for me.

Oh, and I almost forgot. This is the game they were using to show off the SSD load technology. It is going to be a really good showcase for that. A really good game to make people feel the difference of having a next-gen console. And I'm ready for it. So tired of load times. When I switch from my PC to my PS4 I'm always watching the clock during loading screens. As I type this I'm more and more moving to team-PS5.

2 hours ago, Whooter said:

I tend to think Miles is going to be a full game, rather than a First Light or Lost Legacy.  I don't recall Sony dedicating a special edition console for either of those...  I could be wrong.  It happens a lot.

I don't believe a special edition console exists for the game. That's likely fan made for fun. Also....

Uncharted 4 was roughly between 15-17 hours to beat if you didn't stop and smell the roses. If you were a completionist, then it likely lasted 20-22 hours.

Lost Legacy was about an 8-10 hour experience and for a completionist run, you're talking 15-17 hours. 

I would line that up for comparison between Spider-Man and Miles. I think it will feature many of the same systems but it will also add new mechanics and elements that Insomniac will want to play test for Spider-Man 2 proper. Along with the engine enhancements we've seen discussed. 

I'm 100% good with that. Hell just seeing how Insomniac integrated Miles' unique powers will be exciting!

For the record, there's a not so tiny contingent that would say Lost Legacy is a better game than Uncharted 4.

6 hours ago, foogledricks said:

OMG, can you imagine going back in time to 2006 and telling Sony executives that when the PS5 launches in 2020, it will have a first-party Spider-Man game to go with it, but neither the console nor the game itself will feature the Spider-Man font?

Granted, that's a really stupid reason to go back in time, but it would be fun to see their reactions, nonetheless.

17 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

Don’t know if I would say better but damn near equal for sure. 

Sure. I think the pacing in Lost Legacy is absolutely an improvement over 4 and harkens back to the days of Uncharted 2. The story in 4 is better. They have their pros and cons but I can see why the pacing improvements would make it a favorite for some.

I'm on the Uncharted 4 side of the fence. The highs in that game are just too good.

Uncharted 4 was a great game but once I was done, I moved on to the next game. But I didn’t want Lost Legacy to end. Platinum and immediately went back for a replay. Its on my all-time favorite games list. 

14 hours ago, Romier S said:

I don't believe a special edition console exists for the game. That's likely fan made for fun. Also....

Man, I was sure as shit I took those pics from the official Playstation Twitter, but going back to them now, I can't find 'em.  Derp.  :picard-facepalm:

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales – An update from Insomniac Games

Brian Horton, Creative Director for Spider-Man: Miles Morales, writing for the PlayStation Blog:

Let’s set the scene for the game a little more. It’s now wintertime, about a year after the events of the first game. Marvel’s New York is covered in snow, and just before Christmas break, a war between an energy corporation and a high-tech criminal army has broken out. Miles’s new home in Harlem is at the heart of the battle.

We know a lot of you want to know how big this game is. Our team at Insomniac has been working incredibly hard to bring you a fantastic Miles Morales adventure since we concluded development on Marvel’s Spider-Man. You’ll experience a full story arc with Miles, one that’s more akin to a game like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy in terms of overall scope. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales is an important, heartfelt, emotional and essential experience to expanding the Marvel’s Spider-Man universe. And we hope it will be for you as well. 

There it is. It's a standalone game, but not as big as the first. I think if Insomniac delivers a solid 10- to 20-hour experience (whereas the first game was 30-40 hours), I will be very happy with that.

Oh, and there's a short video accompanying the blog post as well:

Perfectly fine with a Lost Legacy style stand alone game. If anything, I hope it trims some of the fat from the original game like the repeating crime missions. Not that I disliked those as they were perfectly ok but I had my fill by the end.:)

• Romier S changed the title to Spider-man: Miles Morales (PS4, PS5) (Holiday 2020)