Jump to content
LCVG

Spider-man: Miles Morales (PS4, PS5) (Holiday 2020)


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Best Buy has:

PS4 - $59.99

PS5 Standard - $49.99

PS5 Ultimate - $69.99

 

They want $10 LESS for the PS5 version? How weird.

 

Another retailer now has the PS4 version up here for £44.85 against £51.85 on PS5.

 

 

7 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Does the PS4 version come with the original game remastered?

 

No. Just the PS5 Ultimate Ed of Miles (you get a digital code for the remaster of the core game). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ending spoilers for the first game....     I literally spat my drink out when I saw that. LMAO!

Jason Schreier is saying the game is Lost Legacy-ish in scope if you’re comparing to the original Spider-Man. It’s a full game but it’s shorter and a bridge to Spidey 2.  

4k/60fps "performance mode" is a go:        

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

They want $10 LESS for the PS5 version? How weird


I was surprised too. I had actually started to type 69.99 for the standard PS5 version and realized that was the ultimate edition price. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, foogledricks said:

The Sony marketing department has  been taken over by fem bots.

 

Their marketing thus far has been pretty awful.

 

It's funny. MS had a poor to OK reception to their showcases, but their marketing, transparency in talking about the hardware, showing the UI, and their social media engagement has gone from strength to strength since the spring (even more so in the wake of how they responded to those unfortunate leaks). Sony have been the exact opposite. The excellent Cerny presentation six months ago, two strong showcases over the summer... then absolutely abysmal engagement with press and consumers about anything else, and it sadly seems like it's all because they know they don't have to really do anything other than just say "PS5. It's more of what you know, and you know you want it" 

 

It's very odd for me as while it ended up making sense for me to go for the PS5 first and clear through a PS4 backlog of titles I've missed over the last eighteen months, I'm much more interested and enthusiastic about Microsoft's hardware and services right now. Hopefully Sony will be more engaging throughout October as right now while I'll be glad for the console to be delivered, I'm not yet excited.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

It's funny. MS had a poor to OK reception to their showcases, but their marketing, transparency in talking about the hardware, showing the UI, and their social media engagement has gone from strength to strength since the spring (even more so in the wake of how they responded to those unfortunate leaks). Sony have been the exact opposite. The excellent Cerny presentation six months ago, two strong showcases over the summer... then absolutely abysmal engagement with press and consumers about anything else, and it sadly seems like it's all because they know they don't have to really do anything other than just say "PS5. It's more of what you know, and you know you want it" 

 

Dude, what people say seems to have more weight than what they DO right now. I could murder 200 people so long as I publicly disavow murder eloquently on twitter. But if mother Teresa says she likes her Reebok sneakers better than her old Nike sneakers... good luck.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

 

Their marketing thus far has been pretty awful.

 

It's funny. MS had a poor to OK reception to their showcases, but their marketing, transparency in talking about the hardware, showing the UI, and their social media engagement has gone from strength to strength since the spring (even more so in the wake of how they responded to those unfortunate leaks). Sony have been the exact opposite. The excellent Cerny presentation six months ago, two strong showcases over the summer... then absolutely abysmal engagement with press and consumers about anything else, and it sadly seems like it's all because they know they don't have to really do anything other than just say "PS5. It's more of what you know, and you know you want it" 

 

It's very odd for me as while it ended up making sense for me to go for the PS5 first and clear through a PS4 backlog of titles I've missed over the last eighteen months, I'm much more interested and enthusiastic about Microsoft's hardware and services right now. Hopefully Sony will be more engaging throughout October as right now while I'll be glad for the console to be delivered, I'm not yet excited.


Yes, I don’t think you’re wrong on the level of engagement from Sony in so far as the particulars on the hardware or its features. I’d love a UI walkthrough and the teardown Cerny discussed. It’s also worth remembering that the “excellent” Cerny discussion (I agree with that assessment by the way) went over like a lead balloon with large swaths of the gaming community. Regardless, both would go a long way towards stoking additional excitement for me on the hardware front along with more backwards compatibility details but honestly? Come November I’m not going to be playing social media posts or marketing messages. I’m going to be playing games and to your point, that’s where Sony’s overwhelming messaging has been focusing. I’m buying a Series X on launch for its access to Game Pass and backwards compatibility acumen which Microsoft has proven is a much greater focus for them and one I appreciate greatly.. Outside of that? The Medium is the only game that remotely interests me in their launch window line-up and I’m holding out hope that 343 can right the ship with Halo Infinite within 6 months of launch but the fact remains that we’ve barely even seen a game running on the hardware itself and there’s a longer lag time for their big first party titles to come to fruition.Meanwhile, I’ll be spending a vast majority of my time with Miles, Demon’s Souls and Sackboy on the PS5 and there’s a very good possibility that we’ll see Horizon Forbidden West by the summer and Final Fantasy XVI by the end of 2021 along with Deathloop and Ghostwire the same year.
 

So, no I can’t agree on the notion of being unexcited about opening my PlayStation 5 on day one when it arrives. I’m very excited to continue playing what has been one of the greatest runs of consistently high quality and amazing first party games rivaled only by Nintendo who I’ll remind folks again happily repackages Wii U titles with minimal upgrades as “remasters” regularly without nearly the same level of outrage (yes it’s a bone I’m gonna keep picking).
 

For all of the (deserved) consternation around the remastered Spider-Man, I bought the Ultimate Edition and will be happily replaying it along with the aforementioned games above, too. Showing the quality of the remaster would certainly help though, Sony. It’s silly to keep talking about the effort put into it while showing nothing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Romier S said:

It’s also worth remembering that the “excellent” Cerny discussion (I agree with that assessment by the way) went over like a lead balloon with large swaths of the gaming community.

 

Did it really though? It has 16 million views which is kind of extraordinary for such a formal and technobabble heavy presentation. 

 

Quote

 

Regardless, both would go a long way towards stoking additional excitement for me on the hardware front along with more backwards compatibility details but honestly? Come November I’m not going to be playing social media posts or marketing messages. I’m going to be playing games and to your point, that’s where Sony’s overwhelming messaging has been focusing. I’m buying a Series X on launch for its access to Game Pass and backwards compatibility acumen which Microsoft has proven is a much greater focus for them and one I appreciate greatly.. Outside of that? The Medium is the only game that remotely interests me in their launch window line-up and I’m holding out hope that 343 can right the ship with Halo Infinite within 6 months of launch but the fact remains that we’ve barely even seen a game running on the hardware itself and there’s a longer lag time for their big first party titles to come to fruition.Meanwhile, I’ll be spending a vast majority of my time with Miles, Demon’s Souls and Sackboy on the PS5 and there’s a very good possibility that we’ll see Horizon Forbidden West by the summer and Final Fantasy XVI by the end of 2021 along with Deathloop and Ghostwire the same year.
 

So, no I can’t agree on the notion of being unexcited about opening my PlayStation 5 on day one when it arrives. I’m very excited to continue playing what has been one of the greatest runs of consistently high quality and amazing first party games rivaled only by Nintendo who I’ll remind folks again happily repackages Wii U titles with minimal upgrades as “remasters” regularly without nearly the same level of outrage (yes it’s a bone I’m gonna keep picking).
 

 

The $90 equivalent game pricing in the UK has unquestionably put a dent in my PS5 enthusiasm. I'm just not willing to give any publisher the satisfaction in engaging with that absurdity, and while in most cases I would have waited for games to go on sale regardless, I'll be waiting even longer now given the software price hike was far higher than I anticipated. To that end I'm almost grateful that Horizon will be cross-gen and priced accordingly, as I'll likely be able to buy that sooner rather than later. For most of 2021 though I expect the PS5 to serve me as an enhanced PS4 Pro. I won't be short of things to play.

 

 

Quote

For all of the (deserved) consternation around the remastered Spider-Man, I bought the Ultimate Edition and will be happily replaying it along with the aforementioned games above, too. Showing the quality of the remaster would certainly help though, Sony. It’s silly to keep talking about the effort put into it while showing nothing.

 

I'm not massively fussed about Spider-man personally. It's rare I will go back and play any game within a few years of having done so (if ever), and rarer still if I finished it with 100% which in the case of that one, I did. When you break it down the gameplay is rather repetitive in the sense of "go to this point on the map, beat up these goons" wash rinse repeat, no different to what we're tasked with doing in the Batman and Infamous games...etc really. The game's strength is the story and that remarkable sense swooshing around an incredible cityscape and using those powers, which never got boring, but are all rewards I'll get from playing Miles Morales. 

 

What the Spider-man situation has done however is leave me wary of how to time catching up on some of the PS4 titles I've missed, like Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima, because there's no way of predicting whether those could get dedicated releases, patches for PS4 copies, or any kind of performance upgrade at all. Likewise Horizon, which I did play and finish, but did not 100% and did not play the dlc. That one I would like to revisit, but I'm left wondering if they'll pull a Spider-man with that one. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Angry the Clownon the Cerny video I think it has aged gracefully. The initial reactions were not kind and unfavorably compared to the PS4 reveal which had a better balance of tech, demos and games. Folks didn’t want to year that it was a GDC talk.

 

In the subject if game prices, I totally understand. That is indeed a lot to ask for a game purchase and even from an American viewpoint, $70 is a lot of money. It will certainly make less apt to blind buy certain titles and to wait on sales for physical releases of titles that I don’t need to have immediately. That having been said, one if the core issues brought up in increasing the cost of games is the behavior of the publisher. Don’t charge extra money if you’re swinging in MTX, loot boxes, etc. In that scenario, that’s one area where Sony keeps it pretty clean. Their games are generally single player focused, narrative driven and bereft of the nickel and diming other publishers are guilty of. They have valuable IP and aren’t as apt to give those IP away as Microsoft but the neither is Nintendo and they shouldn’t be when software very much bringing in money for games division. It’s also why the Spider-Man issue is of lesser concern to me with the caveat being how much of an upgrade it really is? It’s one thing to say it and another to show it.

 

In so far as your use of the PS5, it’s interesting because it’s identical to my plans for the Series X. What finally justified the purchase for me was the announcement of the upgrade for Maneater funny enough. It brought the realization that my X has served as a platform for a good number of third party releases and double dipping for PS4 versions to take advantage of the upgrades coming becomes sort of cost prohibitive. I’m better off spending the money on the Series X and I get access to upcoming games whenever they release in the long term. In the short term, I end up with even better backwards compatibility and access to upgrades to  games I already own. It’s very much a souped up Xbox One X and for someone like me that does replay games often, that’s a good thing.
 

Also in all of my ramblings, I forgot to mention Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart is hitting by a March, too! The PS5 library in the first year is looking superb and that’s why I’m excited about it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The funny thing with the Spider-man remaster is... was anyone really asking for it? This big budget late generation SIE games already look outstanding, particularly the Pro versions, and I'm honestly not sure how much is worth improving beyond raising/locking frame rates, native 4k resolutions or allowing for a things like performance and higher presentation modes on a current gen version to effectively be rolled into one via a next-gen patch (which is basically what MS are doing with Forza Horizon 4 and some others for example). I'm not really sure I want devs to be spending too much time remastering already fantastic looking games that have only come out within the last 2-3 years.

 

 

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

In so far as your use of the PS5, it’s interesting because it’s identical to my plans for the Series X. What finally justified the purchase for me was the announcement of the upgrade for Maneater funny enough. It brought the realization that my X has served as a platform for a good number of third party releases and double dipping for PS4 versions to take advantage of the upgrades coming becomes sort of cost prohibitive. I’m better off spending the money on the Series X and I get access to upcoming games whenever they release in the long term. In the short term, I end up with even better backwards compatibility and access to upgrades to  games I already own. It’s very much a souped up Xbox One X and for someone like me that does replay games often, that’s a good thing.
 

 

I genuinely am happy that I can find distinct reasons to own all three systems. I've said it before but that's not something I have felt compelled to do in over a decade, and the Playstation is kind of moving into that Nintendo kind of space for me where it feels like I'm on board with the hardware largely for the exclusives. So like you the Series X is likely going to be my go to system for third party titles, but I do have those weird obsessions about certain games feeling most at home on a particular platform, so Village I will get on PS5 (things like Spyro and Crash collections that I need to catch up on, Tony Hawk's...etc), and also any third party game with VR support that's of interest is something I will likely make a point to acquire for Playstation as I'd like to get into PSVR in the next-gen once the mk2 headset is out there.

 

I've kept a close eye on games coming in and out of Gamepass since I used it and there's pretty much always been something of interest there to me, so knowing I will have something of an endless supply of something to play on Series X is really why it felt best to get the PS5 first in the end as I don't know if I'd have been able to make the time for a lot of the Playstation stuff that I'd missed were I already wrapped up in everything that Gamepass was throwing my way. So I want to give myself 6-8 months just moving between  games on the PS4/PS5 and the Switch, then I should be in a better place to introduce the Xbox back into my life.

 

 

Quote

Also in all of my ramblings, I forgot to mention Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart is hitting by a March, too! The PS5 library in the first year is looking superb and that’s why I’m excited about it.

 

I'm really excited about Ratchet too. I love the series... I just don't £70 love it 😫, so who knows when I'll get to play that one. It will be interesting to see how aggressive retailers get in lowering software prices in 2021. It's unusual around launch period, which is to be expected, though I have seen some places knocking a tiny bit off of Miles already so will be interested to see if Amazon match. Most places are reducing the PS4 version though, which is why I may well end up just getting that and taking advantage of the free upgrade. 

 

I'm going to be having to buy > play > sell/trade with a lot of the highest priced games sadly. It's the only way I think I can manage it, so I'm incredibly glad that I ended up choosing the physical PS5 in the end. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

I remember SNES games being really expensive... I think I paid like $80 for MKII for the SNES.

 

Memory/custom chips I think.  I remember paying $109.99 CAD for FF3 brand new (which is $173 in 2020 dollars). 

 

The SM remaster is one of the things that's got me interested in getting a ps5 along with the XsX.  I'd just like to be able to order one like a normal human instead of having to hunt for stock.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AlbertA said:

I remember SNES games being really expensive... I think I paid like $80 for MKII for the SNES.

 

$79.99 for Killer Instinct Gold on the N64. I still have my original box and price on it.

I also paid $80 for Chrono Trigger back in the day.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

The funny thing with the Spider-man remaster is... was anyone really asking for it? 

 

Considering the reaction from folks who own the PS4 version and are upset about being cut out of this remaster....slightly more than zero.:cerny:

34 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I genuinely am happy that I can find distinct reasons to own all three systems. I've said it before but that's not something I have felt compelled to do in over a decade, and the Playstation is kind of moving into that Nintendo kind of space for me where it feels like I'm on board with the hardware largely for the exclusives. So like you the Series X is likely going to be my go to system for third party titles, but I do have those weird obsessions about certain games feeling most at home on a particular platform, so Village I will get on PS5 (things like Spyro and Crash collections that I need to catch up on, Tony Hawk's...etc), and also any third party game with VR support that's of interest is something I will likely make a point to acquire for Playstation as I'd like to get into PSVR in the next-gen once the mk2 headset is out there.

 

I should be clear as well that the Series X will function as the big budget third party machine for me. While Microsoft continues to insist that physical shops like Limited Run Games have to have a minimum order quantities to be able to press discs, they will continue to be cut out of the alternative physical game scene. That's where my usage of these consoles differs quite a bit from you digital heathens. I actually buy my indie and smaller release titles on disc with all/most of their patches intact and the PS4 is my platform of choice for that alongside the Switch in some cases if the fancy strikes me. If that paradigm doesn't change in the next generation, then the PS5 will continue to be my platform of choice for those games. Game Pass is a means to play them prior to me getting the physical copy without having to shell out money. Really, outside of the Switch, both the X and the Pro get pretty equal playing time until Sony releases a game and then well.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Romier S said:

 

Considering the reaction from folks who own the PS4 version and are upset about being cut out of this remaster....slightly more than zero.:cerny:

 

 

 

I don't know that's evidence that it was ever something people were craving, or people simply being vocal in response to it existing and not being able to have it for free. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

 

I don't know that's evidence that it was ever something people were craving, or people simply being vocal in response to it existing and not being able to have it for free. 


I think there’s enough evidence of people expecting some form of upgrade to previous gen titles whether that appears as a patch or a remaster. I would say that applies to Spider-Man which was one of Sony’s most successful titles. I think you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think there’s an audience for a version of that game that theoretically brings it up to snuff with what they’re doing with Miles  Morales visually. It’s a perfectly enticing carrot on a stick if you’re choosing between the standard and ultimate versions for $20. 
 

Remove the cost variable and I could ask the same question about say Gears 5? Who’s asking for that to get remastered at 120hz? The X version is beautiful and runs extremely well already at high resolution. Who was clamoring for that? A little while ago Digital Foundry did a video of how Spider-Man would look running at 60fps - go look at the response to that video.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...