LCVG

Returnal [PS5] - latest from Housmarque - Coming April 30th, 2021

• 3 months later...

This game now has an official Playstation product page with some info. You can check it out here:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/returnal/

Perhaps another early 2021 title for the PS5? It seemed pretty far along in the initial showcase and I love me some Housemarque games and it does not appear to be a cross-gen title, either.

On 6/11/2020 at 6:59 PM, Romier S said:

Guessing second party with game funded by Sony and they own the IP.

Yeah if I’m not mistaken, Housemarque was pretty close to bankruptcy. They bet big on Nex Machina and it didn’t sell well enough. Huge shame because that gem is one of the finest arcade games ever made. Probably my most played game in 2017. 

I’m very hopeful for this, although I’d love to see a sequel to Resogun. 

1 hour ago, rustyjaw said:

Yeah if I’m not mistaken, Housemarque was pretty close to bankruptcy. They bet big on Nex Machina and it didn’t sell well enough. Huge shame because that gem is one of the finest arcade games ever made. Probably my most played game in 2017. 

I’m very hopeful for this, although I’d love to see a sequel to Resogun. 

Yes, they’ve said they are done with the smaller arcade games going as far as to proclaim “arcade is dead” after Nex Machina failed (and yes it’s a fantastic game!). If Returnal is a success, I do feel like it’s a “prove it” situation for Sony to finally absorb them.

Killing Driveclub was phenomenally stupid. Playstation badly needs a strong arcade racing IP, and Driveclub being the platform's most played and popular driving game at its height proves it. I'll be getting GT7, but I'm far more of an arcade racing fan than I am a sim fan. I don't know what it is about SIE killing off my favourite Playstation racing game developers with both Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool and Evolution. At least Codemasters absorbed some of the talent.

I'm excited about Returnal. If it's another 2021 game that'd be amazing. 

• Romier S changed the title to Returnal [PS5] - latest from Housmarque - Coming March, 2021
  • 1 month later...

Nice preview on Gamesradar...

https://www.gamesradar.com/returnal-aims-to-create-unlimited-replay-value-for-ps5-gamers/

Returnal will be the first game out of Housemarque backed by a full narrative team. While the studio's previous games have included story elements to ground the gameplay systems and frame its bullet-hell action, it has never made a large commitment to tell a story. Returnal begins with a tragedy playing on repeat: a crash, an attack, your death; a crash, an attack, your death—

"Returnal's dark sci-fi time loop setup is so exciting narratively for us because Selene, our deep space scout repeating the crash, allows us to add lots of hidden layers narratively that are uncovered through repetition," says Louden. "The cyclical nature of the narrative design means the more you push forward, the more you discover Selene. What does the cycle do to someone? What is the planet's history? Why are things beyond Selene's comprehension appearing here?"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Romier S changed the title to Returnal [PS5] - latest from Housmarque - Coming April 30th, 2021
  • 4 weeks later...