LCVG

Returnal [PS5] - latest from Housmarque - Coming April 30th, 2021

I jumped back into this for one run tonight. I haven’t played it since Resident Evil Village came out, and wanted to see how far I could get. I actually made it to the central tower at the Ruined Citadel — first time ever, in fact. So, technically, I did actually make some progress. I didn’t get much further than that, but I’ll take whatever I can get at this point.

Got to phase 3 of Nemesis, with the most powerful build I’ve had by far, but a couple of costly and frankly stupid mistakes meant I had used my astronaut and all health packs before facing him. I had a reconstructor, which gave me two shots at it, but it wasn’t enough. 

I certainly feel like if I had had the health pack or the astronaut on my 2nd attempt, I would have got him. 

I’m not too upset, as it was a fun run, but it can feel quite deflating seeing that crash cinematic play.

On 5/28/2021 at 11:42 AM, Romier S said:

Its super interesting to me that Phrike is the cause of most player deaths. It seems like the first Biome is the biggest wall for folks. Specifically getting past Phrike.

It’s not super surprising to me. It reminds me of that statistic about how you’re X times more likely to get into a car accident within a mile of your home. Well, that’s because the vast majority of car trips begin and end at home!

Oh, and for the record, I updated the game a week ago after the latest update seemed to be stable. So no more keyboard exploits. 

It was another close fight, but Biome 3 is down. So glad to have finally gotten through that hurdle. The only reason I got through it was because I had the artifact that heals you when you’re integrity is low. There’d be just enough time in between me getting hit, that it would heal me enough to survive the next one. 

Spoiler

Holy shit, I loved the twist in the story

Biome 4 is done. That one was rather easy. I died only once last night and then did a run today that cleared it out and then defeated the boss on my first try. Didn’t even need to use my Astronaut. 

Biome 5 seems a little tougher as the drones have returned. 

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

Biome 4 is done. That one was rather easy. I died only once last night and then did a run today that cleared it out and then defeated the boss on my first try. Didn’t even need to use my Astronaut. 

Biome 5 seems a little tougher as the drones have returned. 

The challenge room in 5 is the hardest bit of the game, IMO. Everything else is cake by comparison.

New patch coming Monday!

Patch Notes:

Highlights:

• Platinum: Added support for replaying certain Act 1 & Act 2 Trophies
  • Platinum: Added support to retroactively award Trophies which cannot be replayed
  • Platinum: Added additional locations for Scout Logs 9, 34, 35 & 46 to appear more often
  • Platinum: Fixed an issue where 1 Cipher was sometimes unobtainable for Biome Survey Trophies
  • Platinum: Fixed an issue where some Activity Cards displayed an incorrect count
  • UI: HUD labels for items are now hidden when Selene is firing a weapon
  • UI: Fixed an issue where 2 actions could be mapped to a single button after switching controller presets
  • Cinematics: Fixed a rare audio sync issue in the secret ending
  • Audio: General mix improvements across the experience
  • Audio: Improved surround sound setup support across the experience
  • Audio: Added more DualSense haptics across cinematic moments for deeper immersion
  • Audio: Added DualSense haptics when using the Icarian Grapnel
  • Audio: Improved the dynamic range recommendations system
  • Audio: Allow users to override the dynamic range recommendations
  • Audio: Allow users to change audio output from the game menu

Game Balance:

• Balance: Various bug fixes to certain artifacts, parasites, consumables, and when certain malfunctions can occur in the early parts of the game
  • Balance: Players no longer receive parasites as rewards when players avenge their corpses
  • Balance: Enemies, Weapons, and Bosses - difficulty adjustments in all Biomes for a more balanced gameplay experience

The additional scout log locations and cipher fixes are great to see! I still want to get the platinum so they will help for sure.

22 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I hope the Biome balances make Biome 5 just a little easier. I’m struggling with it. 

Me too. I got pretty far one time, maybe 75%, until I met that nasty severed (I think) mini-boss. Since then, I haven't gotten nearly that far.

2 hours ago, rustyjaw said:

Me too. I got pretty far one time, maybe 75%, until I met that nasty severed (I think) mini-boss. Since then, I haven't gotten nearly that far.

Yup. I had a similar experience. Got a part of the key from the tentacle mini boss, but the Severed guy got me. 

Had another good run going, with some good upgrades, and then I decided to go in the room with the Yellow challenge door (which I didn’t know was there). If you swing across the gap to get to the door and the items before it, it doesn’t appear you can go back ( at least that I could find). So I died and lost those upgrades. 

The patch is out and according to some of the Reddit threads, theres a ton of stealth improvements and changes. They include adjustments to the spawn rates of some of the rooms that contains harder to find glyphs and logs above the ones mentioned. The drones have had their HP nerfed and rockets slowed down a bit, apparently. General healing items show on the overall map and the they’ve revised the difficulty curve a bit throughout.

I can’t confirm this all yet but there’s some good posts with evidence. I may resume my platinum run after Ratchet.:)

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

The drones have had their HP nerfed and rockets slowed down a bit, apparently. General healing items show on the overall map and the they’ve revised the difficulty curve a bit throughout.

That all sounds good to me! Especially the changes to drones. They are what are destroying me in Biome 5 (and were bothering me in Biome 3). 

Also glad to hear that health is showing on the overall map. I would like to see the same for consumable items also.