LCVG

Returnal [PS5] - latest from Housmarque - Coming April 30th, 2021

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just taking a quick, informal poll here. How many of you who are playing this game right now want to punch Romier in his fucking face? 😃

That's it. I'm never preordering a game again.   Except for Ratchet.   ...and Forbidden West.   ...and Kena.   but other than that NEVER AGAIN

How to get a good run going in Returnal from Biome 1   1. Take your time and explore. Understand what type of room you are entering before you go in and use your mini-map and standard map to

Posted Images

I live vicariously through other people's playthroughs because my time since March 2020 has drastically changed. My dedication to games has dropped significantly, so I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

Also, I struggled like hell on Rogue Legacy because I'm just bad at Rogue-Likes (rogue-lights? rogue lites? sp? /shrug).

I'm currently on game 3 of backlogs now with this being number 3 (I'm budgeting myself for Resident Evil Village and whenever they have the Steam Summer Sale of Sekiro).

1 hour ago, Dimness said:

Rogue-Likes (rogue-lights? rogue lites? sp? /shrug)

I’ve recently discovered that roguelikes and roguelites are two separate things, but get used interchangeably quite often. 

It seems like the biggest sticking point for most people is that a roguelike can’t have any progression carry over after dying, but there are other criteria also. 

https://screenrant.com/roguelike-roguelite-difference-permadeath-hades-rogue-slay-spire/

Another thought came to mind while I was playing this the last couple nights. This isn't related to the game itself, but rather, the platform/controller issue.

I picked up the Xbox Elite Series 2 controller just before the Series X launched, and I've been using it almost exclusively on Xbox ever since.. In that time, I've grown accustomed to using the optional paddles underneath the controller for games that make extensive use of both analog sticks at the same time. I especially liked using it on Immortals Fenyx Rising as it allowed me to run, jump, and fly all while never taking my right thumb off the stick.

I really wish Sony offered something like the DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment for the DualSense. It would come in very handy for a game like Returnal. If they had an accessory that only had two buttons like they did for the DS4, I would probably map them to jump and dash, as those appear to be the two actions I need to remove my thumb from the right analog stick in order to execute. 

1 hour ago, JFo said:

Another thought came to mind while I was playing this the last couple nights. This isn't related to the game itself, but rather, the platform/controller issue.

I picked up the Xbox Elite Series 2 controller just before the Series X launched, and I've been using it almost exclusively on Xbox ever since.. In that time, I've grown accustomed to using the optional paddles underneath the controller for games that make extensive use of both analog sticks at the same time. I especially liked using it on Immortals Fenyx Rising as it allowed me to run, jump, and fly all while never taking my right thumb off the stick.

I really wish Sony offered something like the DualShock 4 Back Button Attachment for the DualSense. It would come in very handy for a game like Returnal. If they had an accessory that only had two buttons like they did for the DS4, I would probably map them to jump and dash, as those appear to be the two actions I need to remove my thumb from the right analog stick in order to execute. 

Or remap them to L1 and R1 and move the item use to O or X since R1 is unused.

Also, another tip - destroy statues that have glowing yellow eyes. They drop obelites.

Here’s a video of my Biome 4 boss battle which I won by the skin of my teeth. To be honest, I had paid the replicator so if I had died, it would have brought me back but it’s a point of pride to beat these bosses without dying dammit so I can’t complain too much. The boss design is just out of this world amazing. Another point is that I came to the fight with the wrong gun. There’s an electro-pylon driver you get near the beginning of the 4th Biome that’s perfect for this type of stationary boss but I swapped out of it thinking the higher level carbine would serve me better. Next time, I’m gonna wreck the fuck out of this dude with it.:)

3 hours ago, Dimness said:

That is some Japanese style SHMUP bullet hell nonsense in that video. I might put this in the "not playing it to relax" category. I might play it if I'm feeling cute.

The world is a better place for it existing. There just isn’t an combination of genres like this available on the market. Much less one that executes at this level. I’m ecstatic that it exists and that it has gotten a AAA marketing push and Sony muscle behind it. Housemarque deserves the success cause they make amazing games and this one is no exception.

As evidenced by this thread - that doesn’t mean that Returnal is for everyone and that’s /OK/. Not every game needs to appeal to everyone and though it may sound like I’m gatekeeping (I’m not), the game doesn’t need a traditional save system (I’m down with a mid-run save/delete system as mentioned) nor should it function as a standard third person shooter with no rogue-like elements as I’ve read folks request online. That’s not this game and it shouldn’t be homogenized into something it’s not because people can’t bear the realization that the experience isn’t to their taste.

Now, if Housemarque want to implement an easy mode that tones down enemy difficulty/damage while retaining the rogue elements and/or allowing folks to keep certain upgrades upon death to lighten the pain between runs? I’m fine with that and if it puts the game within reach of more people - I can’t see how it’s a bad thing. As long as the core experience the game shipped with remains intact and the standard difficulty experience is there for folks like me that relish the challenge, I’m a happy camper.

Ugh. I was excited to get back to this game tonight even after the crash wiped out my best run so far last night. Now I’m just annoyed and frustrated. 

I feel like I made exactly zero progress except for maybe learning a thing or two. I’m still stuck on the exact same objective I was on last night (and last night I could have gone and completed that objective if the game hadn’t crashed). 

I want to like this game, and there are certainly aspects I enjoy quite a bit, but it just might not be for me either. 

1 minute ago, Graeme said:

Ugh. I was excited to get back to this game tonight even after the crash wiped out my best run so far last night. Now I’m just annoyed and frustrated. 

I feel like I made exactly zero progress except for maybe learning a thing or two. I’m still stuck on the exact same objective I was on last night (and last night I could have gone and completed that objective if the game hadn’t crashed). 

I want to like this game, and there are certainly aspects I enjoy quite a bit, but it just might not be for me either. 

What’s the objective?

8 hours ago, Romier S said:

What’s the objective?

It’s just the one to open the door with the Blade. When you first encounter this objective, you first find the door, then find the blade to open it, then you can go back to the door to open it. I never got the chance to do that last step because of the game crashing. 

Now I have to work my way back to a door and it seems like there are a number of lockdown rooms and much harder enemies on the way which I hadn’t encountered on my first run that I just can’t handle. 

I will admit that I’m probably not handling the lead up to these encounters quite right though and probably need to be a bit more methodical and make sure I’m as well equipped as possible. Last night I was working off some advice from a few YouTube videos I watched that probably did more harm than good. 

38 minutes ago, Graeme said:

It’s just the one to open the door with the Blade. When you first encounter this objective, you first find the door, then find the blade to open it, then you can go back to the door to open it. I never got the chance to do that last step because of the game crashing. 

Now I have to work my way back to a door and it seems like there are a number of lockdown rooms and much harder enemies on the way which I hadn’t encountered on my first run that I just can’t handle. 

I will admit that I’m probably not handling the lead up to these encounters quite right though and probably need to be a bit more methodical and make sure I’m as well equipped as possible. Last night I was working off some advice from a few YouTube videos I watched that probably did more harm than good. 

Gotcha. Yeah, the crashing sucks and it’s happening to a number of folks. I hope patches are coming swiftly to address the issues for those having issues. It’s also why an automatic save system that regularly checkpoints your location during a run would help tremendously. If you crash, you can restart from where you were and that save is deleted. It mitigates save scumming while circumventing losing progress through no fault of your own or to take a break.

4 minutes ago, kelley said:

New Patch out this morning.

Ironically, I didn't have a single crash in the game until my first game after the patch installed. It was not good timing as I was just prepping to face Phrikie in the next room. I turned back to use a translocator and my P5 shut down.

Just now, JFo said:

Exactly why Housemarque should add some sort of save mechanism to use in the middle of a run.

Right. I’ve advocated for that a few times in the thread now and they’ve been coy about it in their Twitter post but it’s likely coming.

I totally get it. I can see how this game (and its genre) resonates with some people. The feeling of accomplishment and always being on edge can be a nice razor's edge on which to skate. No judgment there. I mean, I like mountain biking and on so many level's it's a stupid thing to do that has nearly killed me on more than one occasion. 

I'll give it a spin here and there, much like I'll play Galaga until I die, but much like that, I don't see myself spending more than one run at a time.

But it's a weird thing for me and this game. Nothing about it makes me want to jump back in or push forward. With something like Horizon or Final Fantasy I'm always curious as to what's next. 

Inopportune crashing aside, I really do like this game a lot. As expected I'm not terribly good at it, but I'm improving. I'm loving the combination of silky smooth combat controls, fast arcade-like action, exploration, world building, and storytelling.

The intuitive responsiveness of the controls really makes me feel empowered that I can get better on each run. And quick the pace in general keeps me from feeling that it's a slog to replay. Also of course the fact that you won't see the same arrangement of rooms and pickups also helps it remain fresh. This is in contrast to Nex Machina which was locked into a nearly identical script (only some pickups would change, IIRC) each time you played...something very much from its arcade origins.

19 minutes ago, rustyjaw said:

world building, and storytelling

Okay this is where I have to challenge you. This game has some of the most cliché sci-fi tropes there are, like they just grabbed the free public-domain stock story arcs and pasted them into some really cool level design.