LCVG

Sackboy: A Big Adventure [PS5/PS4]

• 3 months later...

The Special Edition is very cute:

50383508817_89807cab97_h.jpg

50383508192_2e343334cc_k.jpg

The physical special edition is PS4 only (digital will be available for both).

New video from Sumo confirms 60fps:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/29/embark-on-an-epic-3d-platform-journey-in-sackboy-a-big-adventure-coming-to-ps5/

I'm waiting to see what the prices are like for the PS4 version here.

• Angry the Clown changed the title to Sackboy: A Big Adventure [PS5/PS4]

That's going to be a long wait indeed I think.

I'll likely grab the PS4 version when it is on sale sometime next year, and let the PS5 upgrade it, otherwise it's £60 ($77) for the PS5 disc here. I'll still be working through Mario All Stars this winter, and am hoping the Spyro and Crash bundle will be in an end of year PSN sale, so I'll be OK for a platforming for some time.

I think the fact the PS5 can play PS4 games gives Sony even greater incentive to delay having mid and high tier PS5 releases on the service though. I suppose it depends how well this sells. It probably would be amongst the first, I just don't expect that to be for a very long time.

That Sumo video I posted is worth watching as it provides a more polished insight into the gameplay. It's really looking like a lovely game with a lot of variety. I just have other hobbies that come first preventing me form ever spending £60 on a game like it's the 1990s (and even if gaming was the hobby I put first I'd be hard pressed to swallow these kind of prices).

44 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

That Sumo video I posted is worth watching as it provides a more polished insight into the gameplay. It's really looking like a lovely game with a lot of variety. I just have other hobbies that come first preventing me form ever spending £60 on a game like it's the 1990s (and even if gaming was the hobby I put first I'd be hard pressed to swallow these kind of prices).

Agreed. I think it's curious how games like Luigi's Mansion and a re-release of Mario Galaxy produce pages of "oohs" and "ahhs" and a really interesting title like this one gets passed off as a rehash.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's high on my list. I've a soft spot for Sumo and think this will turn out really well. I've still got the Mario games to satisfy my platforming needs over the Holidays though I think. We'll see how fast I can get through Miles. If I only make a small loss re-selling that then I might recycle the funds back into Sackboy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Reviews are hitting....

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/11/hands_on_sackboy_a_big_adventure_is_a_papercraft_marvel_on_ps5

We’re only a couple of worlds in, but we haven’t smiled this much since, well, when we played Astro’s Playroom about 10 days ago. Sony’s on fire, eh? No but seriously, with Media Molecule moving on to Dreams, we thought LittleBigPlanethad been put out to pasture. And it has – in a way. See, this has all of the charm of the Guildford developer’s PlayStation 3 classic, but it’s been given a Super Mario 3D World makeover.

The result is remarkable. Not only does this game look the part – it’s running at a flawless 60 frames-per-second, with razor-sharp textures and even some raytracing – but it’s just a joy to play. Where the old LittleBigPlanet games were criticised for their floaty platforming, Sackboy is much more responsive here, with a Luigi-esque double-jump and a Metroid-inspired roll ability.

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/review-in-progress-sackboy-a-big-adventure-609676.phtml

Even with that proviso, I think I'm okay with recommending A Big Adventure at this point, several worlds in. Sumo Digital was able to bottle the same whimsical magic that it did in LittleBigPlanet 3, crafting stages that will basically force you to smile. Stages are cohesive, offering up new concepts at a respectable pace, while keeping the focus on hidden zones and collectibles. If you rush through any given Sackboy stage you won't have too many problems, but finding everything they have to offer requires a set of discerning eyes. It's very much like some Mario games in that way, which is a compliment of the highest honor.