LCVG

Sackboy: A Big Adventure [PS5/PS4]

I finally made it through the first world last night. I’ve decided to take my time with this game and try to fully complete each world as I play. Normally, I would just play through each stage, get to the end boss, then go back and collect all the stuff I missed. This time, I’d like to get everything I can as I go. That sometimes means replaying a level several times to find the Dreamer Orbs, find all the costume pieces, get the gold trophy, and beat the level without dying (the spade icon).

I am enjoying this game so far, but I am looking forward to some of the later levels, where I presume the challenge will be greater. That’s usually when this type of game really wins me over.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just ordered this from Amazon with the excuse that I need to make sure the drive works in the new PS5.   

And done!     Well, mostly done. I did manage to beat all the single-player levels, including collecting all the gold trophies, prizes, Dreamer Orbs, and Aces (i.e. finish the lev

I enjoyed this a great deal. It was the perfect slice of fluff to play over the festive period.The music, from the original stuff, to the licensed stuff, and the remixes and fresh takes of known songs

Posted Images

I just reached the last world today. Every time you think the game is getting close to overstaying it’s welcome, it pops out some new gameplay element of the level design totally shifts and it keeps you engaged. There are certainly better platformers with better mechanics but there are few that look and sound like this. Or that so happily throw out ideas that upfront may not make a lot of sense, but quickly gel after a few minutes of toying around.

The levels that feature live licensed music are a blast and there’s a good number of them. There are also levels that feature remixed versions of

Madonna’s “Material Girl” and even the “Futurama” theme.[/spoiler] and we’ll you can’t help but smile and move along with the music as you’re playing through them. 

This is pretty much Super Sackboy 3D Worlds and I’m just fine with that. The game is relatively laid back but I’d you’re trying to 100% every level, the challenge is most definitely there. Expect to replay some levels to get to that marker and the Knitted Knight trials are some of the most challenging in the game. 

I’ll try to wrap things up in the next day or so and then there’s the wait for them to launch the online co-op patch so I can trophy hunt the multiplayer side of things and complete the coop centric levels I can’t access at the moment. Short and sweet; the game is a whole lotta fun.

Finished. Completing the game opens up a whole other world with some tough challenge levels to get through. I did two of them and needed a break. I’m going to try and complete them all but I’m ready to move on at this point. I may save some of the tougher ones for a rainy day. The last boss battle was a nice multi-stage affair that wasn’t too bad to get through. It wrapped things up nicely. 

Miles Morales here I come!

4 hours ago, AlbertA said:

Two crashes so far here.

The last crash lost my progress on a level I had just completed.

I played through the entire game with one crash and I was basically restarting a level right as I was completing the same level. The game paused at a black screen and kicked me back to the dashboard. That was it in nearly 30 hours of playtime.

On 11/23/2020 at 4:58 PM, Angry the Clown said:

It's 100% on the cards for purchase in late December for me. 

You’re going to love the level “Choral Reef”. Just sayin’. 

I can tell I like this game, because when I’m not playing it, I’m thinking about when I’m going to play it again.

I made it through the third world tonight. So far, I’ve collected everything in the single-player levels. I did play the first multiplayer-only level this evening with my oldest son, who has finally taken an interest in the game after being rather indifferent to it for the past few weeks. I would like to go through all those levels with him, but I think it might be too challenging on some of the later levels. I do see it’s possible to turn on infinite lives in the menu. That might help him get through them easier, but he does get discouraged pretty easily if there’s a platforming challenge beyond his skill.

And done!

6F23DCE4-72B3-4706-B1CD-7EC717B0610A.thumb.jpeg.1b6ac07d2153c16a7924a49bf1e0c73b.jpeg

Well, mostly done. I did manage to beat all the single-player levels, including collecting all the gold trophies, prizes, Dreamer Orbs, and Aces (i.e. finish the level without dying). I also unlocked and earned the gold trophies on the first 15 Knitted Knight Trials.

I still need to complete all the co-op levels, which I may try to do once the online multiplayer is up and running. I also need to complete the 16th and final Knitted Knight Trial (which only opens up after you earn at least a bronze on the other ones), but that might take a while. It’s basically all 15 trials stitched together into one massive challenge. Of course, if you die, you have to start over from the beginning — no checkpoints here. Additionally, I have a few more costumes to purchase, which I would expect to be able to afford if I were to play the co-op levels. 

I think it was a smart move for me to fully complete each level as I played. The fact that I made myself collect everything, get the gold trophies, and beat each stage without dying meant that I had to play at a higher level than I would if I were just tying to get to the end. It does get harder as you go along, but a seasoned player in the 3D platformer genre won’t have much difficulty rolling credits on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see that released.

I've just ordered a copy of the game finally. Should be here tomorrow. I'm looking forward to the jolliness once I get my current Leon run on Resident Evil 2 out of the way. Between Sackboy and finally firing up Tony Hawk's I'm happily set for gaming over the festive period.

Fair chance it could drop into the Sale next week, yes. Keep an eye out (the Christmas/January sale should kick off on Monday or Tuesday I think as the end of year sale ends on the 22nd). I got a physical copy for just over £50 which was a little cheaper than the retail price it launched at here. I had some other things to order so I delayed the shipping to get everything at once, so it's now due at the weekend. Really looking forward to it. 

They have spent a good part of the year running multiple sales at once, but you were right, nothing. I seem to remember them going live with a holiday sale the weekend before previously, but I’m old, my memory isn’t what it once was. I was so looking forward to something good too, because the year end sale, just didn’t cut it for me.

On 12/18/2020 at 2:56 AM, Paul said:

I know it’s a bit of wishful thinking, it’s not like they’re Ubisoft. But I’m thinking the holiday sale starts today at 11am since MS started theirs yesterday. At least that is how it went with both the Black Friday and Game Awards sale.

PSN Holiday Sale starts on Tuesday December 22. 

On 12/6/2020 at 4:11 AM, JFo said:

I think it was a smart move for me to fully complete each level as I played. The fact that I made myself collect everything, get the gold trophies, and beat each stage without dying meant that I had to play at a higher level than I would if I were just tying to get to the end. It does get harder as you go along, but a seasoned player in the 3D platformer genre won’t have much difficulty rolling credits on this one.

I thought I'd try and approach it the same way, but while I am trying to get as much as I can on the first run I'm loving the levels so much that I'm happy to go back and replay them to get things I missed. I keep anticipating what the next level will be so I can't resist the temptation to dive in.

That said, I played Flossed in Space several times over immediately because the vibe of that level was just... :banderas:

It's such a jolly and festive game. 

3 hours ago, Graeme said:

I’m also hoping Sackboy is on sale, but I’m not holding my breath since it is a Sony published game and the physical copies don’t seem to be going on sale for after Christmas (Boxing Day) sales. 

I don't think it has been selling particularly well, so that plus the cross platform factor may be in its favour for appearing in a PSN sooner rather than later.