LCVG

Kena: Bridge of Spirits - Playstation Console Exclusive (coming to PC) - 9/21/2021 Release date...

Romier S

Done.

The last two boss battles put a whole lot of Dark Souls bosses to shame on the hardest difficulty. The second to last boss? Well, if you haven’t gotten down the timing for parries by that point - you’re fucked. Proper parry/counters are required or you’re getting your ass handed to you. The last boss is a meat grinder that requires all kinds of dodging and an enemy gauntlet that left me trying the entire battle over and over again for nearly a hour. I see a lot of folks notching the difficulty down on this one, even on normal.

I don’t think I have it in me to do this all over again on master difficulty to get the platinum. I unlocked every other trophy in the game but I’m not feeling terribly sadistic any time soon. Maybe when the mood hits me for a replay in a few months….

It will be interesting to see how tough those last two battles are on Normal when I finally get to them. I have to admit, I found the second boss a little easier to take down than the first. She was no pushover by any means, but it didn’t take as much time or as many attempts as the first one did.

I do think I’m on the last main section of the game. I need to collect two more Toshi artifacts in order to progress. Right now, though, I’m going back to some of the areas I’ve already visited to try and find more Rot, spirit packages, and hats. When I went to bed last night, I had 63 Rot, almost hitting level 4! I don’t know if I will be compelled to find everything, but it is nice to upgrade the rest of Kena’s abilities before reaching the endgame.

Combat is more challenging and complex than I anticipated. It just threw at me the ability to 

Spoiler

use and control rot with the right stick in the middle of fights. I find this a bit challenging, and I'm guessing that this is meant to be used at range, esp since Kena basically becomes a sitting duck, unless I'm thinking about this wrong.

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

Combat is more challenging and complex than I anticipated. It just threw at me the ability to 

Regarding your spoiler text...

Spoiler

...there are a handful of situations where you will use the Rot in this way, but it's not very common. More often than not, you'll be controlling Kena and using Rot actions (i.e. enhanced attacks)  to take out most enemies.

15 minutes ago, Josh said:

Hide contents

use and control rot with the right stick in the middle of fights. I find this a bit challenging, and I'm guessing that this is meant to be used at range, esp since Kena basically becomes a sitting duck, unless I'm thinking about this wrong.

Are you talking about the fountain tear drops? As you progress, enemies will drop a water dew (those are fountain tears and look like the ones that sprout out of the ground) that you can use, yes. This gives you….

….a limited time where the rot will turn into the dragon like creature you can control using the right stick. That creature will make quick work of most enemies frankly. Just keep Kena moving and avoiding enemies. Just don’t jump or dodge or the rot will go back to normal. The whip move will do good damage but the splash move is beastly. Unfortunately, you won’t see this drop happen a ton. I saw it maybe three times in my playthrough but perhaps the game is more generous with it on normal?

21 minutes ago, Romier S said:

The best tip I can give you? Get the Rot Hammer immediately. It’s the best move in the game. It does great damage and it interrupts enemy attacks.

Yes! Just got that and made short order of a pretty mean boss.

One other question -

Spoiler

I have no idea what to do with the "courage" (I think that's what it's called) that it said I could use during combat, but I'm really not sure what to do with that. Is that just the yellow stuff that replenishes my rot abilities?

52 minutes ago, Josh said:

One other question -

Hide contents

I have no idea what to do with the "courage" (I think that's what it's called) that it said I could use during combat, but I'm really not sure what to do with that. Is that just the yellow stuff that replenishes my rot abilities?

Correct. On harder difficulties it will only replenish when you damage an

enemy or parry. I believe on normal it auto replenishes. It is what allows you to use rot actions.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

The best tip I can give you? Get the Rot Hammer immediately. It’s the best move in the game. It does great damage and it interrupts enemy attacks.

Yep. This has been my go-to move for boss encounters. It's the easiest to execute, and it seems to do the most damage out of any of the Rot-enhanced attacks.

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Correct. On harder difficulties it will only replenish when you damage an

enemy or parry. I believe on normal it auto replenishes. It is what allows you to use rot actions.

I seem to only see it when I damage / defeat an enemy.

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

I seem to only see it when I damage / defeat an enemy.

Yeah, you're right. The normal difficulty is the "Spirit Guide" mode which does only recharge when dealing damage. The Story mode is the one that auto recharges.

• Story Mode: Rot abilities recharge passively and when dealing damage. Enemies are less aggressive and deal less damage.
  • Spirit Guide: Rot abilities recharge when dealing damage. Enemies are aggressive.
  • Expert Spirit Guide: Rot abilities recharge when dealing damage. Enemies are very aggressive and deal more damage.
  • Master Spirit Guide: Courage is lost when taking damage. Enemies are even more aggressive and deal even more damage. Cannot lower difficulty.

I decided to switch to this from Deathloop. I’m enjoying it quite a bit so far. Only just got past the first boss last night, so not too far, but I love the look, it plays well, and while at first I was afraid it was going to be a bit simplistic, it does seem like there is some depth. 

I was really rather impressed with the collectible placement in this game. I only had to refer to a guide on maybe 4-5 of them total. Otherwise, they are pretty well placed and aren't hidden in crazy areas you wouldn't think to look more often than not.

54 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I’m really liking this game a lot. But I got to Corrupted Taro last night and started swearing up a storm. I made a lot of attempts but couldn’t get through it. I had to turn off the game in frustration. 

No shame in reducing the difficulty sir. 

A few tips if you want to keep at it. 

1. Use your rot right off the bat to stun his arm and either use a regular arrow or a rot charged arrow right at the purple gland on his arm. This will cause good damage. If you don't have a rot charge to stun his arm, wait until you build it up during the fight.

2. His sword swipes can be parried for the most part and the timing is pretty generous. Practice the timing in the early portions of the fight if you have to. Nothing wrong with taking a few deaths to get better.

3. Aim for the lamp around his neck with your bow. This will stun him for a good bit and allow you to get some quality hits in. The lamp recharges so you can do this throughout the fight.

4. If you're having trouble aiming and don't have the slow down ability yet, use your jump aim shot. Spam it as needed to get your aim right.

5. Once you have enough courage again and he is stunned. Spam that rot hammer.

6. Midway through after his sword breaks, he's gonna start running around you until he finally stops and lunges directly at you for a grab attack. The best way to avoid is to shoot the lamp to take him out of his run. Otherwise, you need to wait until the last second to jump left or right to avoid but I'll be honest - you'll likely get caught a good portion of the time. It's his most frustrating move.

I finished this one last night. All I had left to do were the last two boss fights. It took me a couple hours, but I managed to finally do it. Again, I was playing on Spirit Guide (a.k.a. Normal) difficulty. I'm not sure I'd say they were the hardest boss fights in the game. I still think I struggled more during the first real boss fight of the game if for no other reason than that was the first time there was a big difficulty spike like that, and I wasn't prepared for it. By the time I reached the end, however, I knew what to expect and was ready for it. That doesn't mean they didn't kick my ass, of course. Because they did. A lot.

The hardest thing for me — especially with the first boss last night — was getting the timing down on my parrying. Despite the patch that made it easier to perform, I still feel like I never quite mastered it in a way that I could do it reliably. That holds true for not only the boss fights, but even for regular combat as well. In some ways though, that made combat more exciting. It meant that I couldn't just rely on parrying all the time. I had to mix it up with blocking and dodging, so fights never got to the point where I was just standing around, waiting for an enemy to attack, then parrying so I could counter. Trying to parry was always a gamble. If I pulled it off, I would be rewarded handsomely for it. If not, I'd either deplete my shield or just get smacked on my ass. When I did finally beat that first boss fight last night, it was because I managed to pull off a couple parries in a row, then spam him with several Rot hammer attacks all at once. It felt good.

The second boss was a little easier than the first, I thought, especially when you reached the final stage of the fight. The real problem was just getting there. Without giving too much away for those of you who haven't reached it yet, let's just say the game forces you to go back to basics for a while. It makes you reassess your combat techniques and strategies for dealing with certain enemies. If you can get to the third and final stage of the fight, however, it's mostly a matter of dodging attacks and waiting for the opportunity to do some damage. It's not easy, but once you have the flow down, you're probably good to go.

Overall, I really liked Kena: Bridge of Spirits. It felt like it had just the right amount of everything — the right amount of combat, exploring, collectables, etc. It was also, just the right length, being neither too long or too short. If I have one criticism, it's that there should be more options as far as difficulty settings go. The "Normal" in this game felt like "Hard" in most other games, which is fine for me, but I think it is likely to turn other people off. I'm glad there is a Story Mode for folks with lower skill levels, but I really think there could be a level in-between that and Spirit Guide.

I've been eagerly anticipating Kena: Bridge of Spirits since it was announced at the PS5 showcase last year. I'm happy to say that it ultimately was worth the wait. I am very eager to see what Ember Lab do next.