Star Wars: Squadrons [PS4/XB1/PC] - October 2nd 2020

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's a Star War character, right?

A few details are emerging at least.   Release date October 2nd. $40 game (£34.99 here) and available on Origin, Steam and Epic stores for PC, alongside PS4 and XB1 (no next gen anno

That depends - it’s pretty useless as an Imperial, unsurprisingly. I was really surprised by how the X-Wing cockpit feels, though; you sit so low in it that it’s almost like an F1 car in terms of you

Posted Images

1 hour ago, ChrisBardon said:

It sounds like a hell of a VR game-I saw this review this morning: (https://uploadvr.com/star-wars-squadrons-vr-review/)

OTOH, Arstechnica's preview sounds like VR on the PC is a bit of a mess at the moment

I harp on these VR issues because, well, gosh. When I got the game working smoothly on SteamVR, the sensation of being inside classic Star Wars starfighters, with waves of light shining in such a way that perfect shadows danced over my TIE Fighter's interior, I felt like I was on the coolest Disney amusement park ride of my life. Sadly, thanks to bugs, that sensation was fleeting, and I had to do most of my testing outside of VR, where the lack of customizable FOV (ughghghgh) meant the game's flying sensation paled in comparison.

Preordered the PC version and have a day off tomorrow. It's too cold to be priming minis outside so I guess I'll have to stay in and play this. Have a new HOTAS on the way but can play with my old stick til it arrives later in the weekend. As my laptop barely meets the VR minimums, I may borrow a friends Rift before deciding whether to invest in that primarily for this game and Elite. MS flight Sim and DCS may be a necessity.

With a short capmpaign (this is fine, better short and good than long and boring) and essentially 2 online modes with no plans for future content, I'll be curious to see how long this game holds peoples interest.

I wonder if a game like this could do more to sell VR Headsets than something like Half Life Alyx. 

1 - It’s Star Wars, and what (grown up) kid hasn’t fantasized about being inside the cockpit of and XWing or Tie Fighter?

2 - The game can be played on both flat screens and in VR. Being able to play it first, and imagine how cool it would be in VR could lead fans of the game to upgrade to get that experience. A game like Alyx is kind of a “don’t know what you’re missing” experience. 

I hope that this game does do well enough to get some sort of Next Gen patch. I would especially like to see what they could do in PSVR on a PS5. 

14 minutes ago, Graeme said:

I wonder if a game like this could do more to sell VR Headsets than something like Half Life Alyx. 

1 - It’s Star Wars, and what (grown up) kid hasn’t fantasized about being inside the cockpit of and XWing or Tie Fighter?

2 - The game can be played on both flat screens and in VR. Being able to play it first, and imagine how cool it would be in VR could lead fans of the game to upgrade to get that experience. A game like Alyx is kind of a “don’t know what you’re missing” experience. 

I hope that this game does do well enough to get some sort of Next Gen patch. I would especially like to see what they could do in PSVR on a PS5. 

Something like this will absolutely accelerate my plan to get a PSVR 2 when it comes out that's for sure. I'm going to be interested to see how the game is supported over time. I have no problem with them doing regular expansions for something like this, just so long as they continue to stay away from microtransactions and other such nonsense. 

Apparently it's already running at 60fps on the PS4 Pro which is good news if true. I agree the largest benefit would be to increase fidelity for PSVR, but I'd also like to see what could be done with the DualSense and 3D audio.

1 hour ago, Orpheus said:

Preordered the PC version and have a day off tomorrow.

Hah; I took tomorrow off as well!

Turns out the DualShock 4 paired with my PC just fine. Looking forward to trying it out!

I assume I just leave the PC on with Steam loaded and it will download over night?

39 minutes ago, Robot Monkey said:

Hah; I took tomorrow off as well!

Turns out the DualShock 4 paired with my PC just fine. Looking forward to trying it out!

I assume I just leave the PC on with Steam loaded and it will download over night?

I was able to get mine to pair as well. The biggest issue was the input lag was not great. So I got the little harness that allows you to map two buttons to triggers on the back of the controller. Don’t remember the name and don’t use those additional triggers. But it securely holds a micro usb cable so it can’t pull out. I hate pulling out even when its just my controller cable. 

9 hours ago, Eldorado said:

I was able to get mine to pair as well. The biggest issue was the input lag was not great. So I got the little harness that allows you to map two buttons to triggers on the back of the controller. Don’t remember the name and don’t use those additional triggers. But it securely holds a micro usb cable so it can’t pull out. I hate pulling out even when its just my controller cable. 

I use the freeware program - DS4Windows - http://ds4windows.com/  Works great with no lag - handles multiple controllers and allows for button remapping etc.

main.png

Also picking this up on the PSVR - ready to rock'n roll with my HOTAS.