LCVG

PS5, I choose you! But which one?

JFo

PS5 — Which version will you choose?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Given the choice between the standard PS5 (with optical disk) and the PS5 Digital Edition, which are you most likely to buy?

• PS5
    • PS5 Digital Edition

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/21/2020 at 04:59 AM

UHD drive for me, please. I’d sooner have all bases covered, and always having the option to go physical or digital is preferable for my buying habits. I also think that, should there ever come a reason to sell the system, the models with the drive with be more popular on the used market. 

When will I buy one would be a much harder question to answer.

Hopefully disc. I buy most games digital, but still have a healthy library of physical discs. I tend to buy most games on sale nowadays, so I like having both options. If I buy a full priced game on release, I tend to like buying those on a disc. 

9 hours ago, Starhawk said:

My PSN account says I have 428 titles and I have like 5 PS4 discs. I think I'm going digital.

1190, and maybe 5 discs as well! 

I'm already on the record as all digital, so this was the easiest quiz, in like fa evaaa!

All digital on lighting fast drives, give me that now!!! 

So, I selected the PS5 Digital Edition. I bought two physical games at the launch of the PS4 (Killzone: Shadow Fall and Need for Speed Rivals) because I worried that PSN would melt down on day one and it would be impossible to download any games. Since then, I have purchased zero physical games for PS4 and Xbox One (and later, the Switch). I’m all digital, all the time, so I don’t see the need to have a PS5 with an optical drive.

On 6/14/2020 at 10:47 AM, JFo said:

So, I selected the PS5 Digital Edition. I bought two physical games at the launch of the PS4 (Killzone: Shadow Fall and Need for Speed Rivals) because I worried that PSN would melt down on day one and it would be impossible to download any games. Since then, I have purchased zero physical games for PS4 and Xbox One (and later, the Switch). I’m all digital, all the time, so I don’t see the need to have a PS5 with an optical drive.

My only hesitation is a stupid one. I'm planning to buy a UHD HDR TV to go along with my next-gen purchase and would probably love to have some kick-ass pristine content to go with it. I fear watching Netflix or Amazon in 4K HDR won't really flex the muscles of my setup as much as an actual UHD disc would. But I'm not thinking 4th dimensionally Marty. Because it will be videogames and Netflix that make up the majority of my content sources in the end, so who cares how great Infinity War UHD looks.

1 hour ago, foogledricks said:

My only hesitation is a stupid one. I'm planning to buy a UHD HDR TV to go along with my next-gen purchase and would probably love to have some kick-ass pristine content to go with it. I fear watching Netflix or Amazon in 4K HDR won't really flex the muscles of my setup as much as an actual UHD disc would. But I'm not thinking 4th dimensionally Marty. Because it will be videogames and Netflix that make up the majority of my content sources in the end, so who cares how great Infinity War UHD looks.

I dunno, man, maybe I'm not as particular as I was in my younger days, but... the difference between a lot of UHD content on my 4k projector isn't really that drastic between UHD discs vs. the newer 4k series/movies on Amazon/Netflix. I don't have THAT many UHD discs, so maybe I just don't switch back and forth enough...like I've never watched a streaming service of Mad Max vs. the UHD disc I have, so if I did that would make it more dramatic. Also, HDR isn't really a factor on projectors, either. But...still, my two cents.

11 minutes ago, secretvampire said:

I dunno, man, maybe I'm not as particular as I was in my younger days, but... the difference between a lot of UHD content on my 4k projector isn't really that drastic between UHD discs vs. the newer 4k series/movies on Amazon/Netflix. I don't have THAT many UHD discs, so maybe I just don't switch back and forth enough...like I've never watched a streaming service of Mad Max vs. the UHD disc I have, so if I did that would make it more dramatic. Also, HDR isn't really a factor on projectors, either. But...still, my two cents.

Yeah, you're just reinforcing my inertia away from discs... I'm going digital 100%, thanks for the nail in the coffin.

And I'm aiming to replace my 88" screen 1080p LDP projector with an 85 inch UHD HDR TV. No more projector fan. No more lamps to replace. No more stressing that my focus is 1% off. No more worrying about dust on the lens. I'm actually looking forward to moving back to a TV.

Two PS4 Pros in the place and the disc drive went on both of them. Mostly digital anyway, but funny thing is the few discs I have I play on my launch PS4. Most movies I buy these days are digital also, but if I want to watch a disc, I have the OneX for that. So right now, I’ll be going with the digital edition, anything to save a few bucks, plus, honestly, I feel it looks better without the drive.